Having issues with crackling audio from my Hiby R3 as a USB DAC in Windows 10; Can anyone help?
Dec 17, 2018 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

goodyfresh

Headphoneus Supremus
Update: I now have resolved the issue, and the R3 is working as a USB DAC from my computer with the TUSB audio driver. I have thus edited this post accordingly. However, there is now a NEW issue:

There is noticable and audible popping and crackling in the audio when I play video or audio files, or stream video, on my computer while using the Hiby R3 as a USB DAC. I have checked, and there is no such crackling or popping, ever, while playing any kind of audio from the Hiby R3 on its own as a portable player; nor is there any such popping or crackling in the audio straight from my computer. It only happens when using the R3 as a USB DAC.

I am obviously very disappointed about this, as I was looking forward to using the R3's functionality as a USB DAC, but as it stands, it is now useless to me except as a portable player alone.

Has anyone else had this issue? Could it perhaps simply be a result of potential crappyness of the included USB data cable that came with the R3? I ask this because the crackling sounds seem to change somewhat on each playthrough of the same video or audio file or stream. On each play through of the same audio, the crackling will happen in generally the same parts of the recording, but is noticeably completely different (in duration in each part where it appears, volume, etc.) on each play through of the same recording.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 8
Try going to "Speakers Properties", the "Advanced" tab, then un-checking "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".

Dec 18, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Try going to "Speakers Properties", the "Advanced" tab, then un-checking "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".

So far, this fix seems to have worked. I have been watching Hulu for the last half hour or so with the R3 as a USB DAC and the changes to the settings that you recommended, and it seems that the crackling sounds are gone (although I can't be sure yet. . . .yesterday when I was watching Black Panther on Netflix, the crackling sounds didn't appear for a period of about 45 minutes, then started up badly again).

I havre a question, though. WHY would this fix work? What exactly about allowing applications to take exclusive control of the USB audio output to the R3, could have caused the issues with crackling sounds that I was having?

Dec 19, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 8
Update/Bump for the thread: The crackling is back, far worse than before. It seems to be the same amount of crackling regardless of which of the three USB ports I use. Does this mean the issue is probably the USB Cable that came included with the R3? Anyone who sees this thread and knows a possible answer for me, I would really appreaciate your input.

Dec 12, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 8
I do have the same issue. Tried different cables on different ports of my computer: usbb to usbc cable from my Samsung Galaxy and usbc to usbc branded cable, which I never had any issues whatsoever regarding general usage for file transfer on multiple devices, just to mention the two cables I have sitting around. Tested with a few others too.
It actually gets worse on the usbc port with the branded cable.

This guy on reddit states changing the cable to a better one solved it.

The audio has crackling, popping, sometimes disappears for a second and sometimes is even distorted. It might sound clear for a while but quickly the crackling is back.
Audio from the computer chip itself is clear and so is the Hiby playing the same music on its own.

"Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" made no difference for me.

Dec 12, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 8
My guess is your are wirelessly connected to the internet when this happens? Can you try a cabled connection and let us know if it goes away?

If that doesn’t work check your CPU usage percent when it happens. Is it near 100%? If so time to disable extensions in that browser.

My last suggestion is to disable HTML 5 and try again.

Let us know if one of these fixes it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back