Having connection issues with Onkyo DAC-HA200.
Dec 15, 2014 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Kaputcha

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've just returned from a trip to Japan, where I decided to take advantage of duty free shopping and bought myself an Onkyo DAC-HA200, as I've been toying with the idea of getting into the portable DAC/AMP scene.  I had planned on picking up the Fiio E18 as I exclusively use Android devices and I had tested it here in Australia.  Unfortunately, it seems the E18 is not sold in Japan.

So I did some research and settled on the Teac HA-P50 or Onkyo DAC-HA200, as I had read here and on other websites that they work with Android devices.  When it came time to purchase one or the other the Onkyo was down in price ¥3000, and comparable to the Teac in price.

Upon returning home, I unpacked the unit and cables supplied, grabbed my phone and my DT-1350s.  But it didn't work.  The phone continued to play audio through it's speakers, not even recognising the USB audio device plugged into it.  The phone is a HTC One (M7), running stock (Telstra) 4.4.3 Jellybean.  I figured it might have been the music player I was using (Player Pro), so I changed to PowerAmp, but this made no difference.  I used the following connection configuration.

Phone Micro USB -> DAC USB-A -> Phones.  I wanted to post a photo, but I don't have the required permissions to do so.  On the link below, I plugged directly into the right hand USB-A type connector.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71edXg6V2BL._SL1500_.jpg

So then I figured I would try a USB OTG cable from my phone in the follow configuration.

Phone Micro USB -> USB OTG Female socket A-Type -> DAC Micro USB.  The second socket from the right in the previous picture.  This worked!  And it sounds great, I'm really happy!

I still have an issue though.  Now the phone is charging the DAC and I have a stupidly long cable.  Was I doing something wrong with the first configuration?  How do I stop one unit trying to charge the other, and what kind of short USB "links" are available to work with this setup?

They're kind of vague questions, and I'm sorry I can't post pictures of my setup to help explain, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of this.

Thanks in advance,

Kaputcha.

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 2
  Hi,

I've just returned from a trip to Japan, where I decided to take advantage of duty free shopping and bought myself an Onkyo DAC-HA200, as I've been toying with the idea of getting into the portable DAC/AMP scene.  I had planned on picking up the Fiio E18 as I exclusively use Android devices and I had tested it here in Australia.  Unfortunately, it seems the E18 is not sold in Japan.

So I did some research and settled on the Teac HA-P50 or Onkyo DAC-HA200, as I had read here and on other websites that they work with Android devices.  When it came time to purchase one or the other the Onkyo was down in price ¥3000, and comparable to the Teac in price.

Upon returning home, I unpacked the unit and cables supplied, grabbed my phone and my DT-1350s.  But it didn't work.  The phone continued to play audio through it's speakers, not even recognising the USB audio device plugged into it.  The phone is a HTC One (M7), running stock (Telstra) 4.4.3 Jellybean.  I figured it might have been the music player I was using (Player Pro), so I changed to PowerAmp, but this made no difference.  I used the following connection configuration.

Phone Micro USB -> DAC USB-A -> Phones.  I wanted to post a photo, but I don't have the required permissions to do so.  On the link below, I plugged directly into the right hand USB-A type connector.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71edXg6V2BL._SL1500_.jpg

So then I figured I would try a USB OTG cable from my phone in the follow configuration.

Phone Micro USB -> USB OTG Female socket A-Type -> DAC Micro USB.  The second socket from the right in the previous picture.  This worked!  And it sounds great, I'm really happy!

I still have an issue though.  Now the phone is charging the DAC and I have a stupidly long cable.  Was I doing something wrong with the first configuration?  How do I stop one unit trying to charge the other, and what kind of short USB "links" are available to work with this setup?

They're kind of vague questions, and I'm sorry I can't post pictures of my setup to help explain, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of this.

Thanks in advance,

Kaputcha.

Not sure if I can help or if this is still relevant... since you posted this so long ago.. 
Your first setup was correct - you just need to make sure the switch at the back is in the right hand position and it SHOULD work.
I have mine working on an old Android tablet (unbranded chinese thing) and from my iPhone 6 too - both using the right hand socket.
The Micro USB is for PC/Mac use and does indeed charge the Li-ion battery whilst plugged in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back