Having (and using?) more than one pair of nice cans
Apr 2, 2014 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ankaret

New Head-Fier
Just in general wondering how many of you have more than one pair, and how you go about using each? Ive recently bought another nice pair of headphones and debating whether to just sell the one I enjoy least to keep just one go to setup or keep both.

Now I realize in some ways no one pair of headphones will be best for each type of music, but realistically how much do you guys switch around and really get the most out of all the pairs you own? Or for the people who just invested in a single set up, any yearning to change things up and hear through a different set sometimes? Major first world problem right here, to decide whether to sell or to keep. Any experiences and comments would be appreciated about your guys' experience with keeping multiple sets for the same purpose (mostly at home listening).

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 11
Different tools for different jobs is my approach.

I have Shure SRH840s that I really like on my computer.  They are closed, and keep the sound of my PC fans out.  Puts me right there in the game, if that makes sense.

Up next would be Denon AHD2000s.  My "reference" headphone for serious listening.  While they are technically a closed design, they don't seal out external noise all that well, so I don't use them much for games or music on my PC.  For music though, in my main headphone rig, the Denons are great.

Then I have some Grados, because I wanted to try that Grado sound.  They are an open design, so that also makes them different.  

And finally, I just got some HE-400s, because I wanted to hear some orthodynamic headphones.  It's a different way to make music that I've been curious about.

Of course it is fun to mix things up, like listening to music on the 840s, or playing PC games with the Grados.  It's a hobby, and I like to try different things.  :) 

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 11
I think it's really up to how long you'd like to spend on each type of music. For me, I like classical music very much, and I really enjoy my dt660 paired with magni/modi on my desktop. Then I thought I might also listen to other genres at times, so I got a pair of dt880 600ohm for everything else. However, I find myself not having enough time even for classical music, not to mention other types of music. So, the dt880, although perfect for my intended purpose, has been sitting on my desk and collecting dust for weeks and I'm thinking of letting them go. Therefore, I suggest you first ask yourself how much music time you have? Then what types of music you like and how would you like to split up your precious listening time? Then you will find out which headphones you will reaching for most, and which one might be just collecting dust. Good luck in decision making!

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 11
If you check my signature, you will find a list of all my headphones/IEMs. I pick one IEM and one headphone each day to keep with me (except the Tactics...those stay at home), and cycle between them while working. They all get some use, and I get to hear a variety of sound signatures. Definitely keeps things fresh.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 11
I typically have a different pair for a different use.  So, I'll have a pair that I leave plugged into my amp at my computer for general listening and doing stuff on the computer, then a closed pair for playing guitar so I don't have to use a guitar amp and wake up the neighbors, earbuds/iems for traveling... that kind of deal.  But personally, I try not to have more than one pair in each category because inevitably, one of them will see less use.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 11
Open headphone when the girlfriend is not around...closed when she gets home and she stars to make an ungodly racket.

Full-size at home...IEM for travel...closed portable at work.

I'm running out of excuses to justify yet another headphone purchase.
frown.gif

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 11
Thanks for responses, your ideas make sense. Im thinking that having one good all around headphone for at home listening for me right now is the way to go. Maybe Ill try some planar cans in the future though...haha see Im already thinking of buying something new a second after deciding to sell one off.

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #8 of 11
It's also a bit of a pain if each headphone calls for very different amplifiers...or do you guys try to get an amp that will be good at powering all of your headphones?

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #9 of 11
  Open headphone when the girlfriend is not around...closed when she gets home and she stars to make an ungodly racket.

Full-size at home...IEM for travel...closed portable at work.

I'm running out of excuses to justify yet another headphone purchase.
frown.gif

open and closed is my first major distinction, I have both for home use pretty much as elvergun describes.

I also have a portable pair of closed for out and about and a wireless pair I wear if I'm expecting a call and listening on my mobile...

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #10 of 11
  It's also a bit of a pain if each headphone calls for very different amplifiers...or do you guys try to get an amp that will be good at powering all of your headphones?

One amp should be good enough. 

I have a SS amp...a tube amp...and a little Fiio which I use at work (and I also use it as a portable amp when needed). 

I would just get a good SS amp and never look back.

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #11 of 11

One amp should be good enough. 

I have a SS amp...a tube amp...and a little Fiio which I use at work (and I also use it as a portable amp when needed). 

I would just get a good SS amp and never look back.

agree that one amp should be fine, unless you really need a portable amp. I also have a desktop and a portable, but if I could only have one amp it would be my HiFi M8, It can do portable well but it's no slouch on the desktop either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back