Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #3,946 of 4,032
  To everybody concerned with basic seal, channel imbalance, faulty units etc - the simplest way is to play some pink noise. It can be had online in numerous ways, here
just one : https://archive.org/details/TenMinutesOfWhiteNoisePinkNoiseAndBrownianNoise

You should get a steady "pillar" of sound dead center in your head - anything else is "something wrong". Start with the tips - you may well find that tips you thinkt to be OK actually do not seal *that* well as you thought.

That sound should, above all, sound SMOOTH - if any particular portion of spectrum sticks out, it should be readily apparent. If there are any inbalances, it will be audible instantly.

Regarding both (to me ) known measurements of Havi B3 Pro1 (old version ) - those must have been defective samples. The level of distortion is still very high, but balance issues SHOULD NOT BE THERE. The whole situation did make me apprehensive regarding the purchase of yet another spare pair of B3 Pro1s - if it turns up to be light years removed from SQ of the pair I own, it would just be waste of time.

I wish Havi would tighten up the QC - TT Pod 1(E) are guaranteed to be +- 1dB of within each other, which IS very decent matching, specially for the price. I would prefer Havi B3 Pro1 to be  measured and graded, similar to phono cartridges by Grado - the same model of each cartridge from the production line gets tested and graded according to the tolerances; natuarally, mid level costs more than basic, top level more than mid.

Sauggestion $ 40 for the basic, $ 80 for mid and $ 150 for top level - all GUARANTEED. 

Mine are fine,,,sound equally distributed in both channels after listening to pink noise but as i have long suspected my gr07 have less volume in right side,,,they will be going back tomorrow
mad.gif

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #3,947 of 4,032
It's been over a week now since I received a pair of Havi's as gifted most generously by gyx11 so here are my impressions.

These are great earphones: a big step up from my KZ EDSE's and much closer to my Sennheiser HD555 cans in both soundstage and clarity, while not suffering from the slightly distant and sluggish feel of the 555's.

I've been using an NX1 amp with iPad3 and Sansa Clip Zip, both sounding great.

Tips make a world of difference with these IEMs.

The Sennheiser Double Flange tips have the big soundstage and impression of being sat in the recording studio, but they don't seal very well for me so the bass disappears unless I press them in every couple of minutes.

Havi blacks have less soundstage/3D but more bass and mids and seal more reliably.

Whites are somewhere between the blacks and Senns, for some reason I don't get on with them.

Black foamies have plenty of bass with the least soundstage of all while having the best seal. These are great for listening on the go thanks to the superior isolation and punchy low end.

I've settled on the foamies for now as I got tired of struggling to make out the bass parts in everything. This means I'm losing out on some of the Havi magic so maybe if there are some larger double flanges to be found somewhere(?) I'll give them a go.

So..they are great. They're my only choice now for all listening. The analytical aspect of them is great, to the extent that some old recordings with overdubs recorded in wildly differing rooms now sound ridiculous!

The B3 is great when you want to go all analytical. Sounds fantastic with unplugged/older rock albums etc. Where dynamic range is still there and not mastered like crap the B3 absolutely shines! However, the warm and rather balanced sound with some added low-end of the EDSE is not that bad either..I much prefer the edse to the VSD1s for example. For the price of the EDSE i can´t believe how good they actually sound. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #3,948 of 4,032
gr07 mk2/ce and havi are not compatible at the same time.U will go deaf with gr07 sibilance after u try havi for a week and would hate the softness of havi after u try gr07 for a week:etysmile:  

Better not to buy both and save $160 for upcoming festive season :wink:.......why to become deaf and buy a thing that we hate the softness that sounds.....:D

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #3,949 of 4,032
Better not to buy both and save $160 for upcoming festive season
wink.gif
.......why to become deaf and buy a thing that we hate the softness that sounds.....
biggrin.gif

lol,,,no i was commenting on a practical point of view...............treble of havi and gr07 is opposite,,,brain cannot cope with both at the same time
mad.gif

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #3,950 of 4,032
lol,,,no i was commenting on a practical point of view...............treble of havi and gr07 is opposite,,,brain cannot cope with both at the same time:mad:

Yeah I was just joking....:wink: and I think I might adapt to my new CE's sibilance since my ears have the glimpse of how 3S sounds.....and lets back to B3 before someone stone me...:wink:

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #3,952 of 4,032
Just ordered vc02 out of curiosity
L3000.gif

Lets see how they perform vs havi.

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #3,953 of 4,032
  Just ordered vc02 out of curiosity
L3000.gif

Lets see how they perform vs havi.

They are nowhere near Havi. Havi blow them out of water. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #3,954 of 4,032

They are nowhere near Havi. Havi blow them out of water. 
beerchug.gif

Well lets see,,i just loved the size and form factor,,plus i will get a nice cable.
On havi,as i have told many times i find midrange a bit recessed,maybe my unit is faulty who knows??
frown.gif

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #3,955 of 4,032
this plays nicely on havi way better than gr07,,,sorry for a foreign language though
tongue.gif

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #3,956 of 4,032
Well, maybe not everyone finds the vsd3s superior just because you do. The only thing I found better on the VSD3S is bass impact the B3's are superior in every other way to me. If you've got channel imbalance you've got a faulty pair and should try to get them changed or a refund. Pretty pointless to try to make some kind of statement about them if they're not working properly.......

It's not a matter of opinion. The VSD3S simply outperforms the Havi, whether you prefer its sound signature or not. And no, I don't have a faulty pair. I've heard 4 pair to date, and either it's simply how the headphone sounds, or terrible quality control. I've inclined to believe the former. Not only that, but they sound identical to how  a "correct" pair measures. 

+1. I've listened to both and they trade punches on technical excellence. I think it comes down to sound sig preference between the 2. In my case, I liked both sound sigs, but I got the VSD3S first and had some connection troubles. I swapped them out with Penon for a set of the B3s and found no real reason to go through the hassle to doing it all over again. I've had these for several months now and don't have any problem with them. Probably the best things I've ever put into my ears

You must not have a lot of listening experience if the Havi are the best IEMs you've ever heard. 

I had the VSD3S for 2 weeks and sold it.

I feel very genuinely sorry for you. They perform far better than a $50 IEM has any right to. 

While I don't own the VSD3s (I have the VSD3), I find your experience with the Havi Pro 1 surprising. I actually did have some channel imbalance and am waiting for it to be exchanged by penon. My experience with the Havis have been completely opposite of yours (and this is coming from a major basshead). Are you sure you do not have a defective unit? Are you driving it well? Have you tried tip rolling?

The Havi's are weak in the subbass area but honestly I found them capable of handing almost anything I threw at them. While I recognize that well have different preferences, but the experiences shouldn't vary this much, right?

Also comparing the VSD3 to the Havis, neither one is better IMHO. For one thing they have wildly differing sound signatures. Some days I would prefer the Vsonic and others the Havi. But I feel the detail retrieval and soundstage was more noticeably better on the Havi but the VSD3 had rumbling bass that is also hard hitting and is more fun to listen to.

I always thought that I would be a basshead but the Havi has made a believer out of me and I find myself liking more balanced headphones now and am starting to appreciate analytical sound signatures as well. Crap it seems I have gone too deep down the rabbit hole :p

They're not defective, and my ear canals are not only too large for all but the largest tips, but I've never experienced meaningful sonic changes by changing tips. I'm not new to this, though, and I did try several different pair of B3's with several different tips, to no avail. I drive them from a number of sources, including my on-board laptop out, my phone, a Schiit Magni and an Asgard 2 and there was no improvement. Nor should they have been; they're plenty efficient. 

In comparing the VSD3S and Havi directly:

- The VSonics have deeper, tighter, more impactful and full-bodied bass. The bass on the Havi is light on impact, doesn't extend deep, and was very loose and flabby. 
- The midrange on the VSonics is much, much smoother with a fuller, more natural tone that is just a hair warm of neutral. The Havi, by comparison, were cold and shrill in the midrange, lacking organic body.
- The treble on the Havi is a mess. It doesn't create a clean image, it's considerably elevated relative to the bass and midrange, and while it extends well enough, it's so piercing that you can't appreciate it. The treble on the VSonics is a bit hard and can be sibilant, but it's more well-integrated within the spectrum and is far less offensive. 
- The Havi have major distortion issues from bass-midrange. Thankfull, the treble performs better in this regard, but that's not enough to save it. It's most noticeable in the loose character of the bass, and a lack of transparency in the midrange. The VSonic's perform spectacularly in this regard, and aside for some ringing in the lower treble, are incredibly clean.
- The Havi have a fair amount of bad ringing. It's short-lived, thankfully, but it's rather harsh until they decay fully. 

The Havi is definitely not analytical. The ER4 are analytical, the Havi try their hardest to not analyze any part of the music and just "shove it out the door" at you without even trying to figure it out. 

Most likely you have a faulty pair, specially since you mention about channel imbalance as well. It might be worth it if you can replace. 

In my opinion the VSD3S and the B3 PRO I are in the same league in terms of technical performance, just different in terms of sound signature. VSD3S has a fun oriented sound that works well with most things, specially modern music due to its generous bass presence and overall natural frequency response. On the other hand the B3 is treble oriented and has a boosted upper mid that gives it the sense of clarity and detail that everyone here seems to love.

Both sounds awesome and are great values at their respective price points. I slightly prefer the VSD3S but in no way are they massively superior to the B3's.    

They aren't. I've heard several pair that have all sounded the same, and the sound mirrors exactly the measurement of a correct pair. 

The VSD3S is closer to neutral than it is to "fun." It's very slightly north of neutral in in bass, and has a slightly withdrawn upper midrange, but is otherwise very close to a neutral response. The Havi isn't detailed. It has "fake" detail. That is, it boosts the presence range to make what detail it does reveal stand out more, but they aren't very revealing. 

I can only assume that the majority of Havi fans don't have a lot of listening experience, because I can't see any other way why anyone would think that they are even an acceptable pair of headphones. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #3,958 of 4,032
It's not a matter of opinion. The VSD3S simply outperforms the Havi, whether you prefer its sound signature or not. And no, I don't have a faulty pair. I've heard 4 pair to date, and either it's simply how the headphone sounds, or terrible quality control. I've inclined to believe the former. Not only that, but they sound identical to how  a "correct" pair measures. 

You must not have a lot of listening experience if the Havi are the best IEMs you've ever heard. 

I feel very genuinely sorry for you. They perform far better than a $50 IEM has any right to. 

They're not defective, and my ear canals are not only too large for all but the largest tips, but I've never experienced meaningful sonic changes by changing tips. I'm not new to this, though, and I did try several different pair of B3's with several different tips, to no avail. I drive them from a number of sources, including my on-board laptop out, my phone, a Schiit Magni and an Asgard 2 and there was no improvement. Nor should they have been; they're plenty efficient. 

In comparing the VSD3S and Havi directly:

- The VSonics have deeper, tighter, more impactful and full-bodied bass. The bass on the Havi is light on impact, doesn't extend deep, and was very loose and flabby. 

- The midrange on the VSonics is much, much smoother with a fuller, more natural tone that is just a hair warm of neutral. The Havi, by comparison, were cold and shrill in the midrange, lacking organic body.

- The treble on the Havi is a mess. It doesn't create a clean image, it's considerably elevated relative to the bass and midrange, and while it extends well enough, it's so piercing that you can't appreciate it. The treble on the VSonics is a bit hard and can be sibilant, but it's more well-integrated within the spectrum and is far less offensive. 

- The Havi have major distortion issues from bass-midrange. Thankfull, the treble performs better in this regard, but that's not enough to save it. It's most noticeable in the loose character of the bass, and a lack of transparency in the midrange. The VSonic's perform spectacularly in this regard, and aside for some ringing in the lower treble, are incredibly clean.

- The Havi have a fair amount of bad ringing. It's short-lived, thankfully, but it's rather harsh until they decay fully. 

The Havi is definitely not analytical. The ER4 are analytical, the Havi try their hardest to not analyze any part of the music and just "shove it out the door" at you without even trying to figure it out. 

They aren't. I've heard several pair that have all sounded the same, and the sound mirrors exactly the measurement of a correct pair. 

The VSD3S is closer to neutral than it is to "fun." It's very slightly north of neutral in in bass, and has a slightly withdrawn upper midrange, but is otherwise very close to a neutral response. The Havi isn't detailed. It has "fake" detail. That is, it boosts the presence range to make what detail it does reveal stand out more, but they aren't very revealing. 

I can only assume that the majority of Havi fans don't have a lot of listening experience, because I can't see any other way why anyone would think that they are even an acceptable pair of headphones. 

Umm yea they are a matter of opinion. No matter how much you claim it to be a fact, the only fact is that they are still your opinion.

I've tested the VSD3S pretty extensively recently, because I think they're a really good pair of IEMs that compete with the Havi B3 Pro 1.

I greatly value the rights of anyone to a personal opinion, and I have no qualms with your preferences. But I take issue with your flippancy and ignorance at how you try to impose your opinions (as facts) on others when others have not done that to you,

Your suggestion that people who like the Havi B3 are inexperienced and not exposed to other IEMs/Cans is just plain arrogance. It's a stupid way of validating your ears over others just by introducing purely unjustified speculation on your part.

Just for the record, I've owned the SE846, ER4S/PT before, had with me loaner units of the JH16Pro, LCD3, and heard of plenty of other stuff that you consider essential to form a correct opinion on the Havi B3s...

and no, I don't think the B3 is better than any of any of them, but it is just my personal opinion that they perform very admirably well with respect to their price.

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #3,960 of 4,032

We only have popcorn eating experience, while reading your posts lately
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back