Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #106 of 4,032
Did a little listening to them to check on how they are doing.

Nice extention on treble, a little smooth for my taste. One Winged Angel sounded well defined, with a large enough soundstage to do it justice.

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #110 of 4,032
One positive aspect of the B3 that has not really been mention is that the timbre of instruments is fantastic.

Playing Liquid Tension Experiment's Acid Rain in 320 straight through the IP5 is a truly eargasmic experience.

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #111 of 4,032
For anyone who's interested in the fit and looks of the B3, hope this photo helps a little bit :wink:

Listening to the B3 Pro1 outdoors was another story... Huge, out of head sound-stage (if the record is appropriate).
(I felt like the clouds, mountains and trees as speakers :)))

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #112 of 4,032
So   cool  !!!

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #113 of 4,032
Look like Robert Downey Jr.  B3 looks very nice !
dt880smile.png

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #114 of 4,032
As promised, tip rolling sessions ended. I will be sharing only the summary because I don't have much time to write down a full review...

(So I am really sorry that you couldn't find an in depth review...)

(In total I have tried 66 pairs of tips, on the photo above you can see some of the tips used on the session)

The shape and the size of the earcanals varies slightly from person to person. This slight variations are transformed as huge different shape and size selections of iem tips.

Right tips can not only make your iem fit better (secure), isolate better, make you feel comfortable but also effects the sound perception.

Many tips accumulated on my collection over the years and I know how they can change the sound (and fit). I am showing some of them here...

(blue foams are the custom foams that I made, they are earplugs actually)

Large bore tips on this rolling sessions resulted in more open, more 3D sound. Also tamed some of the lower highs for my taste. On the other hand some small bore tips attenuated the lower highs and killed some sound-stage.

Some of the foams and gels killed the bass while most of them were not OK for B3.

Best Tips For Havi B3 Pro1:

First place: The best tips were the Sennheiser IE series Double Flange tips (S-M for me). Sennheiser IE have the largest bore (hole) compared to all the other tips.

Second Place: The second place goes to the Hifiman white silicone double flange type-1. Difference between these and the senns doubles were the isolation and attenuation of some high freq for the Hifimans. Although I like the isolation; attenuation of some (lower) high freq make me put the Hifimans to the second place. But while fitting the tip on the B3 its necessary to push the tip down to the body of the iem housing.

Third Place: Sony Hybrids and Senn single flanges

Fourth Place: Stock Single Flange Tips and No Name Foams (don't know the type)

(B3 in front of the Sennheiser IE Double Flange Tips)

Summary:

Although some kind of medium double flange tip were included with my original purchase of Havi B3 Pro1, it didn't work for me. From 3 different users here on head-fi I heard that senn double flange IE tips worked for them  (They prefer it to the other tips). This is exactly the same result for me.

Two people reported that they get good seal and fit with the triple flange tips. But pushing the tip to the body of the housing is a "must" for triple flanges. Otherwise they will extend too much and will not fit perfectly. Even using this method did not work for me, triple flanges were not-usable for me.

In my opinion Havi should seriously be thinking of including Sennheiser IE Double Flange Tips (large bore) to their package.

The senn double flange tips elevates this iem's sound from 200USD level to the 300-350USD level in my opinion. Sound changes are that good. Comfort were also very good. The only drawback is the isolation. But I can live with that. My Havi is only "average" on isolation now. But its OK. Whenever I need more isolation I can switch back to the Hifiman double flange tips.

(Havi B3 Pro1 with senn double flange tips)

Hope this helps...       
redface.gif

PS: For the senn tips you can google and ebay search. And I cannot guarantee the fit for your ears  
bigsmile_face.gif
      But... you should give a try
wink_face.gif

New Information (04.2014) from Penonaudio: Havi started to include Senn double flange eartips (3 sizes) inside the B3 packages. Be sure that your Havi is from a fresh stock though
wink.gif

I have found these on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Double-Flange-Ear-Buds-Tips-Cushion-for-Sennheiser-In-Ear-Headphones-/201007679659?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2eccfdc8ab

...and these are with free shipping (found by the head-fi member Exesteils): http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=261438597373

(But don't have any idea of the quality of their material and the seller...)

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #115 of 4,032
Great job baycode. Nice pictures to go with it too!

Even though I very much like the sound from the foam tips, they are quite uncomfortable on my ears after ~2 hours of listening. They also have a slight tendency to dislodge when I move around or yawn or make other facial/head movements, which affects the isolation and to a lesser extent, the bass as well.

I shall be hunting for some Senn tips as per your recommendation!

Cheers!

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #117 of 4,032
  Great job baycode. Nice pictures to go with it too!

Even though I very much like the sound from the foam tips, they are quite uncomfortable on my ears after ~2 hours of listening. They also have a slight tendency to dislodge when I move around or yawn or make other facial/head movements, which affects the isolation and to a lesser extent, the bass as well.

I shall be hunting for some Senn tips as per your recommendation!

Cheers!

You're wellcome :wink:

You can start from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Double-Flange-Ear-Buds-Tips-Cushion-for-Sennheiser-In-Ear-Headphones-/201007679659?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2eccfdc8ab

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #119 of 4,032

Baycode you're a Godsent. was about to ask you for a link to those tips!

just to check, the photo you have of the no name foams with the senn double flanges. is the senn double flange s/m/l size? this is because the smallest no name foams are slight too big (hence the discomfort) for my ear canals and so I'm looking for a slightly smaller tip size

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #120 of 4,032
Or one could try these:
http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=261438597373

Not exactly Senns, but they look pretty similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back