Haven't been keeping up with headfi for a year, need some recommendations!
Aug 11, 2013 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

stevenlongs

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry I initially posted this in the portable/iem section and didn't know there was this new section that existed for recommendations!

Hi guys! As the title states I've had a substantial absence from headfi but I haven't forgot you guys! My mind has been off to other places...bought some recording gear, new guitar, and recorded my first noobie track for fun earlier this year: www.soundcloud.com/stevenlongs (shameless plug if this is against rules lmk).

in terms of music listening I've become fairly linear in the sense that I almost always pick up my trusty MDR-V6 for everything. The only iem I currently still have is the phonak audeo 111 or something, and it sees very little use now. I've grew apart from the sound signature. Now my friend recently told me he'd like for me to purchase a set of IEMs for him and seeing as I'm in the states it's easier for me to have access to them. He told me he wanted the Koss kdx200 at BB for 25$ He loves his overear Koss 40$ ones...the ones with the sparkle in the treble, so I am assuming that's why he wants to stick with the same brand.

I currently might be interested in a new pair of IEMs as well. This is where I need your help. I haven't been keeping up for a while now and the price I am willing to pay is under 100 shipped delivered within the US.

I have developed a daily habit of running almost every day and so I expect I MIGHT use this pair of headphones for long periods of time sweating outdoors. As you may imagine I am somewhat worried about the longevity of the iem itself so if you guys think this would be not advisable let me know...I'll get some jvc gummies or something for workouts only

My first thought was the SE-215 because of the overear design but honestly it scares me a bit. (I had fit issues with the housing of the GR07 scratching my ear lobes.

Number 1 imortance would be comfort and build quality.. especially strength of the cord. I am less interested of something like the cord of the eph100.
out of the IEMs I had in my profile I most liked the sound of the brainwavz m3 and the gr07. I saw some new entries in the sub100 categories like rockit and UE. What about last years CKM500? Any other 2013 IEMs I should know about?

So iem gurus of headfi, what do you think is a good choice for me at a <100$ price point. Doesn't have to fit the workout bill as i can get something cheap for that. Thanks and sorry for the formatting...incredibly difficult typing on a tablet.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the suggestions pformagg. That is indeed the type and form I would be interested in, however both do not hit my intended price of 50-150.
I have similar designs in mind like the se215 and the vsonic VSD1. If you have experience in these phones would appreciate some opinions on them. Looking for comfort durability and good sound at <150$ Somewhat demanding for the price I suppose!

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 4
I hear the Westone UM1 is super comfy as well. In your price range too and you can pick different colours.

SE215 has good reviews and comfy as well. Either one would be a great set in that range. Both the Westones and Shure are made for movement, so running will suite these.

Could try the Meelects A151p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back