Have you modded Lynx L22?
Apr 21, 2005 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jonta_dj

100+ Head-Fier
Have you modded the Lynx L22? What did you do?

I just ordered this card. Is it any good?

What volume settings and stuff is best for playing music? I'm not gonna use it for playing games, only music listening and stuff. I already have a Audigy2. Will I hear any sound improvements with the Lynx?

-Jonta

Apr 21, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 12
First off, the L22 should be pretty darn good to begin with, certainly in an entirely different class than your Audigy. (Whether you can hear that will depend on the rest of your audio chain.) I wouldn't worry too much about modding it for now. What settings are best, well, I'd assume you'll want to use a -10dBV output level.

Apr 21, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for your reply! I hope to receive my card in a few days.

I want to know how high frequencies I can hear so I've generated tones with Wavelab. I noticed there's no sound, or sometimes just some weird tones when I go somewhere over 18kHz on the Audigy. I wonder if the Audigy can't handle higher tones(?).

What in my audiochain will decide if I will have improvements in the sound?

I forgot to mention what I use:
Audigy2 (currently) -> cheap cables -> X-CAN V3 -> Sennheiser HD650.

The cables from the soundcard to the X-Can are something like this:
321372_X_2004-06-30_111413.jpg
and maybe cost 3 euros in Sweden.

Thanks again!

-Jonas

Apr 21, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 12
I use Lynx card, and unless you are VERY good with soldering, do not attempt to mod the card itself. All the parts are tiny surface mount types and very difficult to mod. Lynx card doesn't need modding to sound great anyway.

HOWEVER, make sure you buy/make a better DB25 breakout cable for the analogue output. The stock breakout cable sounds pretty ho-hum. The manual on Lynx Studio website has pinout assignments for DB25 connector, so get a decent DB25 plug, wires, connectors, and make your own.

Also, that RCA-mini interconnect you have is not going to cut it. Make a decent one or buy a better one. With cable like that, you may not hear much difference between Lynx and Audigy.

Apr 21, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonta_dj
What cable should I use between the Lynx and the X-Can instead? I don't want to pay very much for a cable really. Are there really differences in cables?
eek.gif

Yes there are, with a high class source like the Lynx 22, do not cheap out on cables, you will need to replace the cables you are using they won't work with the lynx 22. Do some research on it.

Apr 22, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

I'm doing some research on cables but haven't come up with anything yet. Maybe someone can tell me?

Start a thread in the "Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)" forum here for some reccomendations.

Apr 22, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Are there really differences in cables?
eek.gif

Probably not.

Anyways, you should see if you can borrow some better cables and find out for yourself if you think that there is a difference, otherwise you could very well be wasting money on better cables.

Apr 22, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 12
cool. So you don't think the cables make a difference
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm just asking some people who are producers of digital electronics and micro stuff and they say I shouldn't bother getting new cables. I wish I could borrow someones expensive cables just to try though some time...

Apr 22, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 12
I don't think cables matter that much either after a certain (very low) price point. and i know for a fact that it will NOT make you unable to tell a large difference between the A2 and a better card.
What i found out about those cheaper cables is that:

1) Typically they are not shielded well - i.e. they use three copper strands around the inner jacket insulation.

2) Signal cable is a few strands of copper too

3) Nearly all of those cables in that price range are the most impurified copper available. It's not OFC.

4) Don't twist and pull the cables too much, the connection easily breaks.

But all in all itwill tell you a rather large difference between the soundcards in this league. A properly shielded OFC copper cable would be even better. The good part about DIY'ing a cable is that you can see how well it is shielded.

Apr 22, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

I'm doing some research on cables but haven't come up with anything yet. Maybe someone can tell me?

The Lynx comes with the DB25 breakout cable that only has XLR outputs. If you have RCA inputs only, then you need XLR-RCA adapters. This cable is 6 foot long and not that great sounding.

Read page 31 of Lynx L22 owner's manual, http://www.lynxstudio.com/manuals/LynxL22Manual.pdf

It shows which pins of DB25 connector (25 pins) go with what wire. You can get a male DB25 connector (google search) then make your own cable, either with RCA or XLR (see page 30 of manual). You can terminate this cable with male RCA or XLR plugs so you don't need another interconnect and plug straight into your preamp or amp.

Or, if you are a finicky audiophile, terminate the cable with female RCA or XLR so you can experiment with different interconnects. This is what I did. I made the "DB25 adapter" few inches long only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back