Have you heard the new Linear Tube Audio Z10e amplifier?
Apr 4, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #76 of 121
Anyone paired this amp with the Audeze CRBN? I’m interested in what that pairing can do.
There may be a pair of Audeze CRBNs at the end-of-this-month headphone meet in/near Nashville; if so I'll be sure and bring my (Z10e) amplifier so we can hear the pairing.

May 25, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #77 of 121
How are most driving their Z10e? I built and started using balanced input to the e and the sound is excellent, with superb dynamic, bass and even more layered and open sounding, though it lacks none of this single ended but there is just more when driving balanced.

May 27, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #78 of 121
I drive my Z10e via balanced from my Yggdrasil and via SE from my D90 - both are fed from a Pi2AES running Volumio. The balanced input is converted to single ended by the amp ( my understanding ) so it is there mostly for convenience for those that have balanced outputs.

I like the ability to toggle between sources with the flip of a switch - it allows me to compare how the rest of my chain sounds at a particular track, keeping the amp and headphones the same. Just have to do a bit of volume matching - and since each input remembers it's volume ( which is awesome ) - after that is done you can switch back and forth.

I would add that I have the Z10e in my office, and some small speakers on my desk. This would be labeled " Near field " listening based on the distances. I added a pair of rubber speaker stands from Crutchfield earlier this month and that was a nice way to angle the sound at my head... It was a nice tweak to the sound and only about $35.

My speakers ( Martin Logan ) are not bad, but not at the same level as my headphones, so this helps them sound better.

May 28, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #79 of 121
So has anybody tried a CRBN on the Z10e yet? I have heard they like more power so wondering about the pairing and if the Z10e has enough to drive them well.

May 28, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #80 of 121
I listened to the combo at Axpona and did not like it at all. The BHSE and the Woo ES8 were much better by a mile.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 28, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #81 of 121
So has anybody tried a CRBN on the Z10e yet? I have heard they like more power so wondering about the pairing and if the Z10e has enough to drive them well.
I spoke with a manufacturer who has a pair and does not care for them at all. I guess like anything preferences vary. I am referring to the headphones.

May 28, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #82 of 121
I did not like them with the Z10e. With the BHSE, ES8 and Carbon they were nice but not the typical electrostatic sound. iMO they sound more like planar.

I really like the looks and the comfort but I personally would wait until they fix the reported issues.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 13, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #83 of 121
I tried the combo at Canjam Chicago and was not overly impressed. Did not have the wow factor like the Stax 009s/Eksonic demo or the Stax X9000/Blue Hawaii in the HeadAmp room. I preferred the MX4 or MM-500 on the Z10e and have put them on the wish list for my next upgrade. The planars take advantage of the dynamic range and clarity of the amp better than the CRBN in my opinion. Sunday at Canjam was pretty slow so I got to spend a lot of time listening at the Audeze and LTA booths. I was told that the LTE demo model was upgraded from the Z10e at the Audeze booth with more power and I tried both but still preferred the planar/Z10e combo. The z10e pushes all the buttons for me as a platform for my various headphones and a nearfield speaker setup in my office so I'll be saving up my pennies.:)

Jul 13, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #84 of 121
I tried the combo at Canjam Chicago and was not overly impressed. Did not have the wow factor like the Stax 009s/Eksonic demo or the Stax X9000/Blue Hawaii in the HeadAmp room. I preferred the MX4 or MM-500 on the Z10e and have put them on the wish list for my next upgrade. The planars take advantage of the dynamic range and clarity of the amp better than the CRBN in my opinion. Sunday at Canjam was pretty slow so I got to spend a lot of time listening at the Audeze and LTA booths. I was told that the LTE demo model was upgraded from the Z10e at the Audeze booth with more power and I tried both but still preferred the planar/Z10e combo. The z10e pushes all the buttons for me as a platform for my various headphones and a nearfield speaker setup in my office so I'll be saving up my pennies.:)
I have used the Z10e on my Newform Research 645s and was surprised with good depth and height and dynamics. And these speakers aren't easy to push.

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #85 of 121
I had a chance to hear this amp paired with Audeze CRBN headphones at a local show here in WA and I found the pairing to be fantastic. In the past I have not been very fond of Audeze headphones like the LCD series which I find bloated and sloppy. I've owned many Stax headphones and amps over the years as that's my default preference. I find this system that I heard yesterday to be equivalent to my best listening experiences. Of equal quality was a TCA HPA1 paired with Focal Elex Headphones.

I also auditioned the SRX9000 which sounded good and much like the many other Stax headphones that I'm familiar with. Those were driven by an SRM-700S amplifier and frankly I think the amplifier is garbage. I've owned the SRM-700T and SRM-L700MK2 headphones and again that pairing was trash due to the amplifier. Stax will claim that their formula is the same as it's always been however there is no way that this is true. Perhaps its the export models that suck, I'm not sure, however the voicing of the contemporary Stax amps since acquired by Edifier are not what they used to be. While obvious to some, single change in resistor value or capacitor is possibly responsible for the shrill and compressed dynamics that I hear every time when listening to these newer Stax amps.

While I don't spend much time researching headphones these days I was pleasantly surprised by the TCA HPA1, the Focal Elex, Z10E, and Audeze CRBN. All outstanding products.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #86 of 121
I had a chance to hear this amp paired with Audeze CRBN headphones at a local show here in WA and I found the pairing to be fantastic. In the past I have not been very fond of Audeze headphones like the LCD series which I find bloated and sloppy. I've owned many Stax headphones and amps over the years as that's my default preference. I find this system that I heard yesterday to be equivalent to my best listening experiences. Of equal quality was a TCA HPA1 paired with Focal Elex Headphones.

I also auditioned the SRX9000 which sounded good and much like the many other Stax headphones that I'm familiar with. Those were driven by an SRM-700S amplifier and frankly I think the amplifier is garbage. I've owned the SRM-700T and SRM-L700MK2 headphones and again that pairing was trash due to the amplifier. Stax will claim that their formula is the same as it's always been however there is no way that this is true. Perhaps is the export models that suck, I'm not sure, however the voicing of the contemporary Stax amps since acquired by Edifier are not what they used to be. While obvious to some, single change in resistor value or capacitor is possibly responsible for the shrill and compressed dynamics that I hear every time when listening to these newer Stax amps.

While I don't spend much time researching headphones these days I was pleasantly surprised by the TCA HPA1, the Focal Elex, Z10E, and Audeze CRBN. All outstanding products.
Did you hear the Voce with the new ear pads that Dan Clark audio has out for them? Extremely good with them. With the Z10e, a real treat.

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #87 of 121
I did not as I was content with the Audezes. I have heard the Voces once and thought they sounded nice and similar in quality to Staxs though for originality sake I opt for the Staxs. High end Staxs like the 007 and 009 are the most refined headphones I've come across in all my years.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #88 of 121
I did not as I was content with the Audezes. I have heard the Voces once and thought they sounded nice and similar in quality to Staxs though for originality sake I opt for the Staxs. High end Staxs like the 007 and 009 are the most refined headphones I've come across in all my years.
Voce with the new ear pads. Different animal.

Aug 29, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #89 of 121
I have used the Z10e on my Newform Research 645s and was surprised with good depth and height and dynamics. And these speakers aren't easy to push.
Those are some interesting speakers and good to hear that you get some quality sound from the LTA at 91 dB efficiency. I am going to be using mostly for near-field listening in my home office so probably have lots of options for speakers to pair with the LTA since max volume is not an issue. I want to get a pair made in the USA: Tekton, Zu, or Kilpsch are some of the ones I have my eye on.

Aug 29, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #90 of 121
Those are some interesting speakers and good to hear that you get some quality sound from the LTA at 91 dB efficiency. I am going to be using mostly for near-field listening in my home office so probably have lots of options for speakers to pair with the LTA since max volume is not an issue. I want to get a pair made in the USA: Tekton, Zu, or Kilpsch are some of the ones I have my eye on.
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back