Have you heard all 3? Modi2 MB | Gungnir MB | YGGDRASIL
Oct 20, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #16 of 30
 When you get it, I am very much interested in your comparison between the Modi MB vs the Meridian Director as the latter is pretty much considered one of the better DACS a few years back with MSRP >$600.

I've had a director and gladly gave it up for the mimby. The director was the most boring, polite DAC I've ever heard. There's more detail than mimby, but it lacks any dynamic oomph.

For what it's worth the best usb dac between the idac2, director, and hrt music streamer HD was the music streamer HD by a good bit. The idac2 was excessively digital sounding. The MS HD was sweetly analog sounding. There wasn't even a shadow of a doubt as to which was superior.

I sent all 3 back for the mimby.

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #17 of 30
I guess I find myself still wishing Schiit would make a Yiggy Lite: a Yiggy without balanced outputs with improved USB and power input filtering but the size/footprint of a Metrum Musette / NAIM V1. For the price of a 2Qute. And with a choice of silver or black
wink.gif

Funny, because I was similarly hoping that Cavalli would make a Gold Lite. I kept referring to this imaginary box as the half-gold, with the same sonics in a single-ended topology 
biggrin.gif

I wanted to add to this thread - speakers can exaggerate differences that headphones miss. A few weekends ago, I went through a major sale. It was after I'd had the chance to listen to all my equipment over the course of the Thanksgiving break. Mimby was a hard one to place. Yet after listening to it in a speaker system, I immediately went to sell. I loved it for headphones. To my ears, the benchmark for a speaker system (meaning a 5-digit speaker system) is still Gumby as a source. Bimby I also found too small and sold aeons ago. This recent listening was also the first time I had listened to Mojo as a source. I found it cleaner than Mimby (due to the efforts Chord has placed on keeping noise way down) but its soundstage was equally small. These sources were simply not in the same league as Gumby/Yggy and Ayre Codex.

I am now left curious how Hugo/2Qute compare to Mojo with regards to a speaker-based soundstage.

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #18 of 30
Funny, because I was similarly hoping that Cavalli would make a Gold Lite. I kept referring to this imaginary box as the half-gold, with the same sonics in a single-ended topology :D

I wanted to add to this thread - speakers can exaggerate differences that headphones miss. A few weekends ago, I went through a major sale. It was after I'd had the chance to listen to all my equipment over the course of the Thanksgiving break. Mimby was a hard one to place. Yet after listening to it in a speaker system, I immediately went to sell. I loved it for headphones. To my ears, the benchmark for a speaker system (meaning a 5-digit speaker system) is still Gumby as a source. Bimby I also found too small and sold aeons ago. This recent listening was also the first time I had listened to Mojo as a source. I found it cleaner than Mimby (due to the efforts Chord has placed on keeping noise way down) but its soundstage was equally small. These sources were simply not in the same league as Gumby/Yggy and Ayre Codex.

I am now left curious how Hugo/2Qute compare to Mojo with regards to a speaker-based soundstage.

Do you out Gumby on par or slightly below Codex/Yiggy for speakers?

I've never heard Hugo/2Qute. Too bad no one comes to the meets with either of them.

Dec 10, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #19 of 30
Do you out Gumby on par or slightly below Codex/Yiggy for speakers?

I've never heard Hugo/2Qute. Too bad no one comes to the meets with either of them.

Slightly below.

It is not due to the size of things. It is due to the details of those things. Perhaps it is similar to HD versus standard definition. Both will fill the screen, but they offer different clarity.

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #21 of 30
i use a yggy as a source in my 2 channel home stereo and compared it directly to the mimby.  using the same chord brand rca interconnects for both i heard basically zero difference.  i would't have been able to tell them apart in a blind test.  i switched them off a/b between the different outputs so the switching was instantaneous.  the mimby gets left behind once you go through the balanced outputs of the yggy into my pre.  the sound snaps into focus with a slight improvement in all areas. 

i hooked up my hugo through the rca jacks back when i used to have one but wasn't that impressed.  the yggy and gumby are definitely more home stereo type components although the mimby is close.  as everyone says, the sound signature is exactly the same as the yggy.  

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #22 of 30
Great thread, schneller! 

I am upgrading my amp from the Vali 2 to the Lyr 2. I thought it might make sense to upgrade the DAC too. But this thread has convinced to stick the with the Mimby until I am ready to  go to Yggy.

Thanks!

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #23 of 30
Great thread, schneller! 

I am upgrading my amp from the Vali 2 to the Lyr 2. I thought it might make sense to upgrade the DAC too. But this thread has convinced to stick the with the Mimby until I am ready to  go to Yggy.

Thanks!

What cans are you using with this setup? And source? Do you find the combo revealing?

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #24 of 30
What cans are you using with this setup? And source? Do you find the combo revealing?

Most of my music is 16/44.1. Some of it ALAC but most is 256Kbps AAC files. I ripped most of the music off my CDs when space was a little more scarce than it is today.

I am using Sennheiser HD 650 headphones and Swan M200MKIII monitors.

Currently I have the Vali 2 with the Mimby and I like it quite a lot. I am upgrading to the Lyr 2 to get a better headphone amp and better monitor pre-amp. The only DAC I can compare Mimby to is the one in my MacBook Pro. It's not a bad DAC, but the Mimby offers a fuller more realistic sound with improved soundstage.

I can't wait to get the Lyr 2 to see how it compares to the Vali 2. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #25 of 30

Most of my music is 16/44.1. Some of it ALAC but most is 256Kbps AAC files. I ripped most of the music off my CDs when space was a little more scarce than it is today.

I am using Sennheiser HD 650 headphones and Swan M200MKIII monitors.

Currently I have the Vali 2 with the Mimby and I like it quite a lot. I am upgrading to the Lyr 2 to get a better headphone amp and better monitor pre-amp. The only DAC I can compare Mimby to is the one in my MacBook Pro. It's not a bad DAC, but the Mimby offers a fuller more realistic sound with improved soundstage.

I can't wait to get the Lyr 2 to see how it compares to the Vali 2. 

By better do you mean with more power?

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #26 of 30

By better do you mean with more power?

More power is a given. I am told that both the amp and pre-amp sections are well improved over what the Vali 2 has.

May 6, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #29 of 30
I don't know anyone with and Yggy, but I just upgraded to Gumby from Mimby.

ARISE... Dead thread!!
I see dead threads, like all the time. Some threads don’t know they are dead :fearful:.

May 14, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #30 of 30
I am looking for feedback from those who have had extensive time with all three of these fine Schiit DACs. I am purposefully excluding the Bifrost MB as it occupies the most odd market segment of the Schiit DAC lineup.

Who has done a BLIND comparison of these three?

Who can best compare the sound signature of these three?

I have compared the Gungnir MB and Yiggy on my home setup and have my own conclusions there. The Modi2 MB is what really makes all this interesting IMO. I have not heard it yet, but perhaps I can say differently on October 16...

These three DACs represent three distinct pricing categories: inexpensive, mid-market, and more premium.

The main question for me is, which of the three delivers the most satisfaction per $, or in other words, which of the three is the value leader? This is not such an easy question, as I have read that the Modi2 MB offer 85% of the performance of the Yiggy at about 12% the price. The Yiggy is said to compete favorably against DACs costing 600-700% more.

Is the Modi2 MB closer in sound signature to the GMB or to the Yiggy?

I personally have NO need for balanced outputs and am interested in a smaller footprint. Score two points for the Modi2 MB. The Yiggy is the best DAC I've heard and is worth its asking price IMO. I can part with $2300 but does the Modi2 MB get me 85% of the way there, especially with respect to SE output, at 10% of the cash outlay? The GMB is the darker horse for me. It lies in the middle of the price range, offers featured I don't need (balanced output), offers a compromise with regards to footprint, but compared to Yiggy, offered a slightly warmer, perhaps slightly darker, sound that was well and good but not as addicting!

The other thing I keep in mind is that if I bought a Modi2 MB, or even a GMB, there is money for "USB cleaners" or even a U2S; such would not at least initially be the case with a Yiggy purchase.

Thoughts?
You don't ask for much, do you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back