Have you guys ever heard of this scam?
Sep 6, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #16 of 20
My brother used to work for a weekly newspaper, 25+ years ago, and wrote about this exact scam. Of course, back then it was a VCR, since VCRs cost hundreds of dollars at the time. Same deal, guy selling a sealed box from the back of a station wagon or van, and the victim finds a carefully wrapped brick when they get home. The victim in this instance called the police, who declined to investigate.

My feeling on this is that the victims got what they deserved. The scammer appeals to their greed. If they weren't trying to get something through dishonest means, they wouldn't have gotten ripped off. Plus, that whole scenario just doesn't pass the "sniff test". Like, you always go out on an HT installation job with an extra set of speakers. Right.

Sep 6, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #17 of 20
Just got this eMail... The Nigerian scam becomes the Hong Kong scam... Go figure.

FROM THE DESK OF:
Mr.Jon Chin
338,Yingeze
Avenue,Yinge,
Taiyuan,Shanxi,China
Tel:+865-140-6202
Fax:+865-140-4324
Email:mr_jon_chin@yahoo.com.hk

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am Mr Jon Chin, Executive Officer (CEO) of China Import & Export
Co, Ltd. we are a group of business men who deal on Raw Materials eg
cocoa,rubber,Cassava,non-metallic minerals such as Calcite, Barytes,
Manganese Dioxide,Dolomite Mica China Clay,Mangnese Dioxide,Ferrous
(Iron) etc and some ancient art works,we export them into Canada and
America.We are searching for representatives who can help us
establish a medium of getting to our costumers in Canada/America and
europe Presently,we are been owed up to $90,000 and the company in
question has agreed to begin installmental payment.

If you are willing to assist,you would be paid 10% of the total sum you collect
on behalf of my company in any transaction that is passed through you to
our company,All you have to do is send to us full name,detailed
mailing address,tel and fax numbers.Once you have done this,I would
instruct the company to send the cheque to you which you would deposit
into your account.When the cheque clears you would then pay the
balance, you will be given the opportunity to negotiate your mode of
payment which we will pay for your services as our representative.

If you are interested,please fill in the blank spaces below:

1.Your Full Names..................................

2.Your Age.........................................

3.Sex.......... ...................................

4.Your Occupation....................................

5.Your Full Contact Address........................

6.State/Country............. ..............................

7.Your Phone/Fax Numbers..............................

And send back to me via e-mail at:mr_jon_chin@yahoo.com.hk

I look forward to hearing from you asap.

Regards,

Mr Jon Chin.

Sep 6, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #18 of 20
funny... My dad turned the tables a little. He was pumping gas and the white van pulled up asking him if he wanted some high end stereo speakers.

He already knew they were junk, but went "Oooh AAAh" over them like they really were something special. Gave a line of BS to them saying he was looking for a set exactly like that for months, but couldn't find any locally. He offered his wristwatch and the $2 he had in his pocket in a trade. The guys eyes lit up when he saw the Rolex president.

It was a $8 POS junk Folex he picked up in Hong Kong.

I came home that day and see all these speakers sitting in the living room. I was like
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
What'd you buy these for?!!? Then he told me about his trade and I laughed. Turns out theyre decently made 5/8 thick particle board. He uses them in the sunroom and on the backyard patio.

Sep 6, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
funny... My dad turned the tables a little. He was pumping gas and the white van pulled up asking him if he wanted some high end stereo speakers.

He already knew they were junk, but went "Oooh AAAh" over them like they really were something special. Gave a line of BS to them saying he was looking for a set exactly like that for months, but couldn't find any locally. He offered his wristwatch and the $2 he had in his pocket in a trade. The guys eyes lit up when he saw the Rolex president.

I came home that day and see all these speakers sitting in the living room. I was like
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
What'd you buy these for?!!? Then he told me about his trade and I laughed. Turns out theyre decently made 5/8 thick particle board. He uses them in the sunroom and on the backyard patio.

That's awesome. I should buy a ripoff of something and carry around with me in case I even run into a situation like that. Hmmmm...........

Sep 6, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150

blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Your dad simply RULEZ!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back