have you found the perfect headphone?
Oct 19, 2014 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mgh24

100+ Head-Fier
I am still new on this journey, but have listened to 7 sets of mid-fi headphones, and have not yet found the set that is "perfect" for the sound sig I want, seems like there are always trade-offs to be made.

Have you ever found a set you thought were just perfect for what you wanted?

I understand I can get accustomed to almost anything, which is what I will have to do. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 8
I've found the one that's as perfect as I need.

There's not always a perfect headphone. If one comes close but not quite there, it may be time to break out an EQ.

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 8
Started with Soundmagic HP150 - First impression was that it was way too much a basshead can, but then it turned me into something of a basshead.

Q701 - had these at the same time I had the HP150, and they were just too bass light for my tastes (did not try the bass mod), so they went back.

HD600 - I simply love the sound sig of the Sennheiser, but it would not go down low like the HP150.

Shure 1540 - too much bass, so by this time I am getting real confused.

Fidelio X-1 - Huge bass, not too bright, but the bass doesn't sound exactly clean to my ears.

HE400i - problem with these was my preconceived notion after reading the thread on them, that they were simply going to blow my away.  I liked the mids, but again, they would not reach as low as the HP150.

HD650 - as close to "perfect"as I have gotten.  I don't care for too much treble, and I love the midrange on these, bass sounds very nice to me, but it will not go way down low.

Now I am beginning to come around where I'm not so much of a basshead, it's just that there are certain songs that really test how low a 'phone can go, and it bugs me when a headphone can't deliver there.  These are rare, so I can give that up, but I know it's there.
My "test" tracks are Ry Cooder's "Drive Like I've Never Been Hurt" off his I, Flathead CD, and Dire Straits, "Iron Hand" on their On Every Street CD.
I can hear the lows on these tracks on the HD650, it's not like they are not there, but listening to these tracks with the HP150, or the X-1, the deep lows are in a whole different league from the HD650.
To my ears, the HD650 do everything better than the X-1, except those deep down lows, which is why I say they are as close to "perfect" to my ears as I have heard.

I know when I return the X-1 I will become accustomed to the HD650.  Furthermore, if I had never heard my test tracks with anything other than the HD650 I would be perfectly satisfied.

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #5 of 8
I am still new on this journey, but have listened to 7 sets of mid-fi headphones, and have not yet found the set that is "perfect" for the sound sig I want, seems like there are always trade-offs to be made.

Yep. Same for me. I think you might have already answered your question with this statement :)

That being said, other headphones you might try are the modded versions of the Fostex T50RP that are being sold.

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 8
My perfect headphone would be a closed back HD 650 with exact the same sound and better comfort......

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 8
Yep. Same for me. I think you might have already answered your question with this statement
smily_headphones1.gif

That being said, other headphones you might try are the modded versions of the Fostex T50RP that are being sold.

I would very much like to hear the Maddog 3.2 or Alpha Dog.  Would have to buy, and then sell if it was something I did not like.

I am quite enjoying the HP150 again though, it really does just about everything for me, and as close to perfect (for me) as I have found.  Just ordered some Beyerdynamic pads to try out on them.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 8
Headphone: Shure SRH1540

Demoed HE500, HD650, and a few other high end headphones before settling on the 1540's. To my ears they sounded like a more detailed and rich sounding HD650 but with great isolation. It meets all my audiophile needs to the point that I sold all my other headphones.

Earphone: Shure SE846

The SE846's are the best sounding earphone I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. The sound signature and detail is really amazing, it's like a miniature version of the 1540's, and to my ears it sounds like I am actually listening to full sized headphones rather than IEMs.

Shure has a sound signature in these two devices that is as close to perfect for my tastes. I won't be buying anything else unless it can top the sound from either device for a similar price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back