Have you ever listened to a headphone again and it sounded completely different?
Sep 28, 2005 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

warpdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
I went back to listen to the original headphones that I bought when I started my headphone journey...and I was surprised how different they sounded.

I listened to my HD497 which had be relegated to a desk drawer and the HD497 sounded dry, thick and tubby. I think my current assortment of rather bright/detailed/quick sounding headphones changed my taste in sonic signature.

Has this happened to you?

Sep 28, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 12
After getting the Shure E3c, I went back to my Sony EX-70 and couldn't believe I had put up with them for 3 years! Then I thought the E3c was the cat's meow until I got my E4c at which point the E3c sounded dark, rolled off, and not detailed. Shockingly earphones that had sounded great one day ended up sounding horrible the next.

Otherwise the MS-2i was not all that pleasing out of the box, bloated bass, harsh highs and it had an unpleasant grain to the sound. I even reported my disappointment here after 100 hours...but the impressions were still premature, as after putting another 100 hours on it, it was much smoother and detailed and then I understood why they are popular.

Sep 28, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 12
I had a pair of Sony V6 for nearly 18 years and I bought a second pair to replace original. Then I ran into this website.... Curse you Head-fi!
icon10.gif
After several months of intense listening high end toys and I tried to go back to my V6. To my surprise, I couldn't stand it... I can totally hear all the flaws and blemishes that I didn't hear before. It still was a good phone, but it only took me several months to realize its limitations. Before long, I sold my like new V6 and bought few IEMs for my potable needs.

Sep 28, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sennheiser
Everything sounds like cr@p after you've been up for 24 hours straight.

everything sounds like crap to me when I just woke up
smily_headphones1.gif

I got my sr60 today, when I first compared them with the px100 last time, they sounded very detail and clean. When I first put the phone on my head today.....it didn't sound all that detail after all, and the bass is more prominent than I had remembered.......must have listened to er4 too much nowdays.

Sep 28, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by patrox89
ignorance is bliss (economically)

Definitely can agree with that. The same thing happens with photography which is a huge interest of mine. Once you buy your first DSLR and glass, you can't stop 'till you go broke after spending thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars on equipment.

Sep 28, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I've listened to a few headphones that actually sounded better than the first time I heard them,.

One for me was the CD3K, which I have owned twice.

First time around, I found the Sony treble happy, cold, with a weak bottom end. Now TME, it is warm with lovely rounded bass.

Why the difference? The first pair was used with a DAC1; absolute horrible synergy. The HD650 was a reference for the 1st pair, the SA5K was the reference for the second.

The lesson - synergy matters, source matters, and where you come from matters.

Sep 28, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #12 of 12
AKG K271. First time I heard it something (later determined to be the closed headphone sound) really bugged the hell out of me and I just couldn't listen to them. 2nd time I heard them which was half a year or so later they sounded just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back