have tomahawk...should get millet hybrid?
Jul 24, 2007 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

surge

100+ Head-Fier
hi,

i am currently using tomahawk w UE5pro and grado MS2. love it. to all those who have tried the tomahawk and millet, should i get it?

are they very difference and is it obvious in SQ? thanks

Jul 24, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 10
Are you talking about the Millet Portable? If so, I only had a short time to hear the Millet with my ES2 IEMs at HeadFest, but that said I found the units I heard at the meet to be very noisy and generally unpleasant -- for my tastes -- with my ES2.

The Tomahawk is dead quiet and perfectly suited to the ES2s, and I expect to your UE5Pro since Ray uses UE10Pro as his guiding IEMs.

They were very much in demand by attendees and I didn't get a chance to hear the Millet Portables with headphones.

Jul 24, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 10
The TTVJ Millet is an amp not for every one, first it needs 300 to 600 hours to fully burn in. Then everytime you plug a source or a headphone there is a shrill sound for about 2 seconds.

Having said that if you like small Jazz combos then this amp is for you. Very intense small club type of sound with a warm/lush presentation.

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The TTVJ Millet is an amp not for every one, first it needs 300 to 600 hours to fully burn in. Then everytime you plug a source or a headphone there is a shrill sound for about 2 seconds.

Having said that if you like small Jazz combos then this amp is for you. Very intense small club type of sound with a warm/lush presentation.

Hmmm. I'd expect the little Millets at HeadFest might not have had much burn in, which might explain the funky sound. I wonder. They didn't work well at all with my ES2 and I just couldn't listen to them. If I bump into a well-played unit I'll definitely give it another go.

Jul 25, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

guess i could wait for 2 secs for it to be ready. is it very different from tomahawk? the sound?

Jul 25, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 10
Romanee the Millet does need a lot of burn in and the reward is the lush intimate sound that most portable amps do not have. You trade some detail but IMO it is minimal and well worth it. I wish Vorlon1 would chime in since he has the amp and uses it on a regular basis. BTW IMO this amp is best for Jazz, New Age, Classical, and similar. I would not use it for Rock for that I would use the Hornet "M".

Surge the 2 sec is for most people not a big deal. The reason it was to me is because we were testing 15 or so amps and 8 or so cans. Everytime I did a switch the 2 second shrill noise would drive me nuts. In regular use it really would not come into play since you are not plugging sources or cans every 5 minutes or so.

Jul 25, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Romanee the Millet does need a lot of burn in and the reward is the lush intimate sound that most portable amps do not have. You trade some detail but IMO it is minimal and well worth it. I wish Vorlon1 would chime in since he has the amp and uses it on a regular basis. BTW IMO this amp is best for Jazz, New Age, Classical, and similar. I would not use it for Rock for that I would use the Hornet "M".

Surge the 2 sec is for most people not a big deal. The reason it was to me is because we were testing 15 or so amps and 8 or so cans. Everytime I did a switch the 2 second shrill noise would drive me nuts. In regular use it really would not come into play since you are not plugging sources or cans every 5 minutes or so.

It's a shame the units weren't better prepared for and presented at HeadFest. Perhaps there wasn't enough time to "burn them".

Thanks for the info. It will probably be awhile before I find someone locally who has one to hear, but fore-informed is fore-armed, or something.

Jul 26, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a shame the units weren't better prepared for and presented at HeadFest. Perhaps there wasn't enough time to "burn them".

Thanks for the info. It will probably be awhile before I find someone locally who has one to hear, but fore-informed is fore-armed, or something.

kinda of weird that a company will display a test set that is not at the best state on Headfest....i would burn 3-4 sets to at least 600 hrs if i wanna showscase my amp, and provide music that will showoff its ability too...to bad i cant even build the box of an amp.
280smile.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

hey! thanks for all the reviews that you have done. i got the tomahawk after reading your reviews too. hope to have a chanve to audit the millet this weekend

Jul 29, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 10
finally got a chance to test the millet...

was surprised when i first saw it as it looks bigger that expected. not a problem as the size is about the same as my 80gb ipod. fits nicely underneath. when turned on, not surprised by the microphonics as many has mentioned....just that it didnt take 2 sec to go completely off...on average it takes about 10-15 secs to go off!

sound wise, i love it alot...i dare say that i am willing to trade in my tomahawk for it(as millet seems to be better for the kinda of songs i listen to)...until i took it for a short walk.

i took it for a short walk in my waist pouch (which i use to carry ipod, IEM and amp). i wasnt playing any songs but had amp and volume on. when walking at my normal pace, i can hear microphonics coming it when the pouch bump against my thigh...it disturbs me and rule out the portability of it...since to me protability means mobility to move and listen at the same time.

but when placed on a table, the sound is really nice...not as clear as tomahawk but have greater level iog intermacy to the music...

verdict: didnt get it cos i needed mobility...tomahawk is great for that!

thanks to all who have post inputs in this thread...like they always say...its better to try it yourself...thats what i did.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back