Have this old Akai Amp, I am just curious if I can drive my HD600s with it.
May 10, 2018 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Arin7

100+ Head-Fier
This old Akai amp belongs to my dad and it has 4 outputs for four 8 ohm large speakers, and it also has a headphone output too, I have SB Zx card which I think it isn't doing justice to the HD600 and I am just curious if I can use hd600s with this amp, I am really afraid to test them though, I really dont want to blow my headphones over a curiosity just wanted some opinions on this. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0911.jpg
    IMG_0911.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
May 10, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 12
Your not going to blow the headphones with that amp pretty sure of it as it is hard to blow headphones from a headphone output . Some older amps do very well with high impedance cans so I say give it a try your not going to hurt them.

May 10, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 12
This old Akai amp belongs to my dad and it has 4 outputs for four 8 ohm large speakers, and it also has a headphone output too.

Ya have a model name/number?
I have an Akai AA-1150 that i use daily. Drives all my high-z headphones very well.

May 10, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 12
This old Akai amp belongs to my dad and it has 4 outputs for four 8 ohm large speakers, and it also has a headphone output too, I have SB Zx card which I think it isn't doing justice to the HD600 and I am just curious if I can use hd600s with this amp, I am really afraid to test them though, I really dont want to blow my headphones over a curiosity just wanted some opinions on this. Thanks.

It's highly unlikely for that amp to "blow" the HD600 unless you hit clipping or X-Max repeatedly. Not to mention that at 300ohms while that avoids impedance ratio and damping factor issues will still have the voltage delivery profile dropping power, in which case, clipping is a more likely problem than outright hitting X-Max repeatedly by pouring too much power into them (which also can't really happen, because if you're hitting X-Max from too much power, you're either listening too loud, or you boosted the low end too much).

May 11, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #6 of 12
Your not going to blow the headphones with that amp pretty sure of it as it is hard to blow headphones from a headphone output . Some older amps do very well with high impedance cans so I say give it a try your not going to hurt them.
Actually I had 8 ohms old headphones that I was using with this amp so if 8 ohm headphone has survived I think 300 will also do lol

May 11, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #7 of 12
It's highly unlikely for that amp to "blow" the HD600 unless you hit clipping or X-Max repeatedly. Not to mention that at 300ohms while that avoids impedance ratio and damping factor issues will still have the voltage delivery profile dropping power, in which case, clipping is a more likely problem than outright hitting X-Max repeatedly by pouring too much power into them (which also can't really happen, because if you're hitting X-Max from too much power, you're either listening too loud, or you boosted the low end too much).

hmm so simply put I'm ok if I dont listen with the high volumes and high bass?

May 11, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 12
I dont think you have to treat this Akai any different than a normal headphone amp. Use common sense,and dont try to destroy your hearing and you should not only be fine,but im suspecting you will be pleasantly surprised as to how good it sounds.

Let us know how it sounds.

May 14, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #11 of 12
I dont think you have to treat this Akai any different than a normal headphone amp. Use common sense,and dont try to destroy your hearing and you should not only be fine,but im suspecting you will be pleasantly surprised as to how good it sounds.

Let us know how it sounds.
Sure if I ever get to vconnect them I am so afraid to connect a new product to a 20 years old one :D LOL

Edit: I just tried hmm, interesting they sound warm and a bit better than SB Zx, cause I think Zx is trying so hard to make them bright and it I dont like how they sound with SB Zx...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back