Have the HD600s changed over the years?
Oct 11, 2008 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Chu

1000+ Head-Fier
I had to send in my HD600s for repair. Just got them back, and it was a little bit of the surprise.

For those that don't know, if you are outside of the 3 year warranty period or lost your receipt, Senn charges a flat fee ($65) to fix anything that might be wrong with them. The documentation says that $65 is a deposit, and they will return an actual quote if it exceeds $65, with a $35 charge no matter the outcome. The phone rep assured me that it was $65 no matter what they had to do with it, it was not possible to exceed this with headphones even if they needed to replace the entire unit.

I sent them in, took them 1 day to repair it, and they sent it back 2 days fedex. Pretty nice service.

Now, keep in mind one driver had intermittent issues, and the other driver was probably blown. Everything else was fine, no cracking on the headband, earpads well maintained, etc. So what did they do?

1. Replaced the headband.
2. Replaced the pads (these alone are $50 if ordered by p/n!).
3. Replaced the driver housing.
4. Did not replace the grills. There is a very tell-tale scratch on the grills that is still there.
5. Don't know about the drivers yet, haven't plugged them in.
6. Replaced the cable.

No comments on sound yet, I need the cable that came with them to verify my amp is working before I dare plug them in.

And, about that headband. I briefly flirted with the HD650, and one of the reasons I returned them was the headband. I felt it was like a skullclamp, and I swore that even when my HD600s were brand new they were not that bad. I literally had to sit slackjawed for them to be comfortable.

Well, either the new headbands are being made in the HD650 molds, or I have a very bad memory. It's back to skullclamp mode. If it is just me though, it is an epidemic, because a lot of others around here complained about the HD600 vs. HD650 fit in threads comparing the two.

Some pics for reference:

Old HD600 vs. HD650
hd600nextohd650es7.jpg

(yes I've learned to clean my pads since then!)

New HD600:

hd600skullclampnz6.jpg

EDIT : Small note, those ugly brown pads are not the ones they replaced. The ones they replaced were perfectly fine, normal-looking ones.

Oct 11, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 5
Well, I just put them on about a minute ago.

My initial reaction is "oh god I didn't realize how much I missed these." My V6's aren't exactly slumming it but I couldn't help but just sitting here grinning like an idiot for at least a minute.

It sound . . . very much like a HD600. I feel like there is something slightly different that I can't put my finger on, but it could just be anything from pure placebo to the fact my ears are a bit further from the drivers (the gave them "HD650" pads). The sonic characteristics are pure HD600 though.

This would actually be an interesting blind test at Chiunify, because I have zero clue if they replaced the drivers or not*. Unfortunately, I don't have a way to find out
frown.gif

They're definitely not HD650s though. I'm playing back "King Without a Crown" right now, this is basically the track that convinced me I liked the HD600s much better than the HD650s. The base was just too overpowering with the 650s on an amp not known for its low end.

*I don't feel like digging up the troubleshooting thread, but there is a good chance the drivers were not dead, just beyond my ability to fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back