Have SR-60's... worth Getting RS2i's or HD650's?
Jun 11, 2010 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ambush276

Head-Fier
i have the SR-60's and im deciding between the RS2i's and the HD650's. Is it a waste to get the RS2i's i really enjoy the crispness of the voices in the in the SR-60's and the HD650's seemed like a larger soundstage? i just dont know if its a waste to get the RS2i's when i can get the HD650's. I mean the RS2i's are $500 and i can get the HD650's for like $370?

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 17
There are a couple things that you should keep in mind. The biggest issue is that while the Grado RS2i has an impedance of 32 ohms, while the Sennheiser HD650 has an impedance of 300 ohms. So while at first glance the Sennheisers may look cheaper, you'd want to amp them to get what you're paying for. And that adds quite a bit to the price if you don't already have a capable amp. (that's also not to say that the RS2i wouldn't improve with the right amp, but I'm sure they'd sound excellent out of a headphone out as well).

The second thing to keep in mind is that Sennheiser has a very different sound signature than that of Grado. If you like the Grado house sound, you may well find yourself dissatisfied with the Sennheiser sound signature. If you consider the HD650's and can amp them adequately, I strongly suggest that you demo them before purchasing.

Also, people will have a much easier time advising you on this decision if you let us know what you'd be playing the headphones out of and what genres of music you listen to.

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 17
well that is the problem... i like a lots of kinds of music. I listen to Indie Rock and Classical the most ...

I know Sennheiser has a larger soundstage but still... tough tough decisions to make..

can you get the big bowl pads for the RS2i? (like the GS1000 pads?)

also i have a wooaudio 3 amp..

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 17
My vote is for HD650. I do have too an SR60 but with K701. Please add budget for a desktop amp with either HD650/K701. SR60 will complement with HD650/K701.
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 17
ohh i for sure love the grado sound.. but i have heard such great things about the HD650's also i heard that L cushion on the grados frankly suck. I am getting a used WooAudio3 from a friend so an amp will not be a problem.. im thinking about gettin the HD650's and then complementing them with my SR-60's. And then maybe in the future buying the RS2i? Or is the RS2i a better buy? its just so many tough decisions..

Not to mention, not that this matters, that wooden box for the grados is sweet! (i would pay $70 or w/e for the box lol)

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 17
Depends if you want the same kind of sound again or a totally complimentary sound to the Grados you already have. The 650s will be a lot smoother and darker than them.

Jun 13, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #8 of 17
WooAudio3 is an OTL tube amp, which would mean high output impedance ... pairing them with low impedance Grados is setting off alarm bells. HD650 will work a lot better with the Woo3, but it's kind of pointless if you don't like the sound... But you're new at this, right? Try the 650's.... like the Monkey said, it's something everyone tries and can relate to...

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #9 of 17
yes im new and everyone seems to think the 650's are awesome!!! I have not really used them at depth but it seems that they are really really legit..
Hopefully its not a bad investment..  What would be the problem with using the grados with the high impedance amp? I know they only have a 32 ohm resistance and the Senn's have like a 300 ohm resistance.. but would there be a huge problem using this amp with the grados?

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
i have the SR-60's and im deciding between the RS2i's and the HD650's. Is it a waste to get the RS2i's i really enjoy the crispness of the voices in the in the SR-60's and the HD650's seemed like a larger soundstage? i just dont know if its a waste to get the RS2i's when i can get the HD650's. I mean the RS2i's are $500 and i can get the HD650's for like $370?

What do you like about the SR60s?  What would you like more of?  The RS2s will give you the same Grado sound but with more crispness (in moving from comfies to bowls) and more bass (because of the mahogany air chamber).  The soundstage in going from comfies to bowls is greater.

The HD650 will give you a larger soundstage and the comfort of an around-the-ear design.  If you find the SR60s blaring at you with the high mids, the HD650 will give you a more polite presentation, something akin to the GS1000.  If you hate the SR60 mids, you'll appreciate the recessed mids of the HD650.  On the other hand, if you love your Grado mids, you'll miss them when they're gone.

As stated above, there's a major difference in impedance.  You can run the HD650 right off an iPod (I did) and unamped you'll notice that it rumbles lower (Grados don't have a lot of low-low-low bass).  But you'll need an amp to get the sparkle that came unamped off your SR60s.  If you're going to be using the cans with a portable device, you'll really want to invest in a high-quality amp.  At the least, you'll want something to boost the signal so the HD650 doesn't sound anemic.  Depending on whether you're buying vintage or brand new, you may encounter a "veil."  Amped properly, the HD650 is a wonderful headphone and the chance to get it cheap is something you should consider.  I wouldn't, however, recommend it for a portable device.

If you don't know what you're getting, you should really consider the used market.  You can get an HD650 for less than $300.  Buy minimal so you can sell minimal.  I got mine for $250 and had absolutely no trouble reselling it.  The RS2 is harder to come by on the used market.  It's the $500 little brother to the classic $700 RS1.  For less than you'll pay for a new RS2i, you can get a used RS1.  People who pay $700 for headphones tend to take good care of them, so you're getting a much better deal on the used market.

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #12 of 17
i like the feel of the SR-60's and the Mids are pretty awesome like stated. I extremely liked on teh GS1000's i liked the clarity of the voices. The sharpness of the sound was amazing and i truly did love that. I have also read here that an upgraded cable on the HD650's will make a huge difference... is this true? I know they will never quite get the Grado Mid's but what will that upgraded cable do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back