Have Replaced X-Can V2 Capacitors.. WOW!!!!
Jan 8, 2003 at 8:26 PM Post #31 of 56
Pinkie:

Any thoughts on when/if you are going to change the volume pot? Any ideas on what would fit?

Jan 9, 2003 at 12:28 PM Post #32 of 56
Sorry for that uninformative post..

Seems like the pot on X-can V2 is imbalanced at zero to low listening levels, at least mine is. The balance is left of the center at low volumes. But this also holds for my Marantz Pm-17 amplifier at low volumes to some extent. Changing to an Alps pot may not change this.

Does anyone have experience with swapping volume pots resulting in enhanced sound?

Look forward to your report on swapping the pot to an Alps pot if you're going to carry it out!

Jan 9, 2003 at 12:41 PM Post #33 of 56
I saw a pot replacement on Headwise. It required replacing the face of the X-Cans v2 with a newly-machined cover to accomodate placing the pot in roughly the 10 O'Clock position (moved from the 7 O'Clock position). I recall that the size of the replacement pot was such that it would not fit without major changes.

Imagine that...mods that don't fit inside the X-Cans.
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #34 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
I saw a pot replacement on Headwise. It required replacing the face of the X-Cans v2 with a newly-machined cover to accomodate placing the pot in roughly the 10 O'Clock position (moved from the 7 O'Clock position). I recall that the size of the replacement pot was such that it would not fit without major changes.

Imagine that...mods that don't fit inside the X-Cans.
biggrin.gif

Yeh, and he didn't exactly "rave" about the changes (if any) to the sound did he? http://au.photos.yahoo.com/bc/michael_rookster/ click the "headphone amp" link

Jan 11, 2003 at 4:20 AM Post #36 of 56
Don't mean to dampen the sprit of this thread but what I am about to post is to compare the X-Cans V2 (NoS Tubes) with the ASL Head MG/OTL. Its relevent to this thread because it whats got me started for this post.
I decided to go for the caps upgrade ala Pinkie and went shopping for soldering iron, hunting for caps etc. Bought the soldering iron but could not find the caps but ran across a dealer for the ASL products. The ASL MG Head DT/OTL was selling for about US$225 which is about $100 less than normally advertized on websites. Now I am a die hard X-cans supporter having spent lots of money on PSU upgrade, numerous NOS tubes, power cords and interconnects matching etc. But the price was attractive and I was dissapointed not finding the Caps, so I bought the ASL Head.
First impressions was not good. Bass was good but highs were veiled and rolled off. Very soft dynamics and I was beginning to regret my decision. However, I also found a Mullard 12AX7 NOS tube during my shopping for $35 and having read that tube rolling the ASL MG Head can yield good results, bought it.
Once I switched over to the Mullards, it was night and day. Holy Smokes ! The soundstage open up. Spaciousness was huge (compared to X-Cans). Dynamics returned and comparable to X-Cans. Bass was better (deeper, fuller but still detail and good impact. Leading edge of double bass as good as X-Cans V2). Mid was so lush and spacious. Vocals better. This is my first experience with an all tube product and boy am I ever impressed. If this is what everyone is referring to as tube sound, then I am never going back to solid state. The highs were smooth and detail as compared to X-Cans. Perhaps the impact on highs is not as good as X-Cans but the margin is very small. Overall I prefer the ASL MG Head with Mullard 12AX7 tube to X-Cans V2 with either Siemens 6922 or Bugle Boy 6DJ8 plus X-PSU. Hands down.
A good CD to compare is the "O brother were art Thou" soudtrack particularly track 4 (Going to the river to pray). This CD has been highly recommended by numerous Hi-Fi magazines. Although the recording is good, I was wondering wondering what the fuzz was all about. Hearing track 4 on the ASL MG Head, I was suddenly transported to a cathedral. Alcion Krauss and her backup choir was so lush and so much ambience and spaciouness, it made the X-Cans sound real flat. There was no going back after hearing this track.
So my point here for this thread is that before you go off and spent time and money on PSU upgrade, tube rolling, caps and pot replacements, go listen to the ASL MG head. Its cheaper than X-Cans V2 with X-PSU to begin with and tube rolling the MG Head should be no more expensive than the X-Cans (although the MG Head has 3 tubes total, the single/middle 12AX7 tube is the one that makes the most difference). You could end up asing a lot of time and money.
However, if I can get my hands on those ELNA cerafines, I will make the change (hvaing bought the soldering iron and all) and can then report back the differnece between ASL MG Head with Caps upgraded X-Cans.

Cheers to all.

Feb 6, 2003 at 10:40 AM Post #37 of 56
PinkFloyd, could you approximate the ammount of money you've put into that X-can of yours??
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2003 at 1:55 PM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by HanssoN
PinkFloyd, could you approximate the ammount of money you've put into that X-can of yours??
smily_headphones1.gif

Apart from the valves (£30) everything else was free.

Pinkie

Jun 2, 2003 at 12:16 PM Post #39 of 56
Pink

I have fallen into deep water.................

Ihad to sell my Hifi (£££££)and ive just started to get back into it all again!! But this time with cans.

Ive just bought a pair of HD600's and some mint Jecklin Flaots 2's.

between these cans I should be happy. I made my first upgrade today after burning the cans for over 60 hours with "AC/DC" !!
I changed the thin foam to some sections of my wifes black tights (She doesnt know and I aint telling her!!) I Dont have a mistress...... I gather their tights have a warmer sound???(!!)

I have been offered a Xcan v2 full working condition for £65.00.

I like your ideas and will be going to follow some of them.

As in all Hifi i found that power supplies upgrade makes some big changes.... So that will be the main focus point after the Valve change.

I am almost thinking about throwing the case away......... And re-housing the whole lot so I have plenty of room for the mods etc. Also I hate the look of it!! It would look better in a nice case.

I do know its going to have a Crystal blue LED!! And a great funky crome volume knob of an Old pioneer amp that Ive got That feels a million dollers.

So..... i could do a few hours of "search" or see what you think

Cheers

Luke................. Drowning in the hifi ocean again !!

Jun 2, 2003 at 2:17 PM Post #41 of 56
Hi

thats what I'm thinking!!! getting it all in one case. Power supply as well Shielded with copper walls etc. Big fat power supply. Top switches and pot............ o yes a blue LED!!

Jun 2, 2003 at 8:22 PM Post #42 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by london luke
Pink

I have fallen into deep water.................

Ihad to sell my Hifi (£££££)and ive just started to get back into it all again!! But this time with cans.

Ive just bought a pair of HD600's and some mint Jecklin Flaots 2's.

between these cans I should be happy. I made my first upgrade today after burning the cans for over 60 hours with "AC/DC" !!
I changed the thin foam to some sections of my wifes black tights (She doesnt know and I aint telling her!!) I Dont have a mistress...... I gather their tights have a warmer sound???(!!)

I have been offered a Xcan v2 full working condition for £65.00.

I like your ideas and will be going to follow some of them.

As in all Hifi i found that power supplies upgrade makes some big changes.... So that will be the main focus point after the Valve change.

I am almost thinking about throwing the case away......... And re-housing the whole lot so I have plenty of room for the mods etc. Also I hate the look of it!! It would look better in a nice case.

I do know its going to have a Crystal blue LED!! And a great funky crome volume knob of an Old pioneer amp that Ive got That feels a million dollers.

So..... i could do a few hours of "search" or see what you think

Cheers

Luke................. Drowning in the hifi ocean again !!

Hi Luke,

I don't quite understand the question...... are you contemplating using your wifes underwear to perform this upgrade or do you need part numbers from me?

Pinkie.

Jun 2, 2003 at 8:37 PM Post #43 of 56
Pinkie

No !!

Just your thought about a project i want to do. A one box containing massive power suply .Amp and one of your Xfeed devices.

With the Amp coming from a Xcan v2.

possibly with a 2 way switch for impendence levels To drive my HD600's and jecklin Floats 2.

Ive got to start somewhere!!

Jun 2, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #44 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by london luke
Pinkie

No !!

Just your thought about a project i want to do. A one box containing massive power suply .Amp and one of your Xfeed devices.

With the Amp coming from a Xcan v2.

possibly with a 2 way switch for impendence levels To drive my HD600's and jecklin Floats 2.

Ive got to start somewhere!!

That sounds like a very good and reachable plan Luke and I'll be more than happy to offer you any help I can. If you're housing the X-can circuit in a new case you'd be as well fitting a 50K ALPS pot whilst you're at it
smily_headphones1.gif
You could also look at replacing the transistors and resistors with a better grade though I doubt these would bring about the same audible transformation that the caps do.

Go for it!

Pinkie.

Jun 2, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #45 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
That sounds like a very good and reachable plan Luke and I'll be more than happy to offer you any help I can. If you're housing the X-can circuit in a new case you'd be as well fitting a 50K ALPS pot whilst you're at it
smily_headphones1.gif
You could also look at replacing the transistors and resistors with a better grade though I doubt these would bring about the same audible transformation that the caps do.

Go for it!

Pinkie.

PS... I'd be inclined to leave any crossfeed circuits seperate from the amp :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back