Have PC, considering iBook/PowerBook
Jul 6, 2005 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

viator122

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm heading off to law school in a month or so and I need to buy a laptop computer. Currently I have a Sony P4, 2.66ghz, 1GB RAM, 320 gigs of HD space and a 17" ViewSonic flat panel monitor - a pretty decent computer for what I use it for and I hope will last me through the 3 years of law school as a primary computer.

I hear very good things about the Apple laptops as far as reliability and quality. My school has student offers for computers with both Dell and Apple. They seem to be comparable value as far as cost vs. features goes. Plus, if I buy a Mac I get a free iPod Mini. However, I noticed that the HP laptops are pretty cheap; are they no good?

What I'd like to know is what issues and difficulties there are in operating a PC and a Mac. I'll be taking notes on the laptop and backing them up to my PC. Will I be able to do this with a USB drive? Can I network the two together?

Any other bits of wisdom or advice for a potential first time Apple buyer would be appreciated.

EDIT: Oh, and the AppleCare plan - is that a no-questions-asked repair/replacement plan? Does it cover accidental damage?

Jul 6, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 24
First - congrats on law school. On the computer issue, I can only offer you a couple of insights. I'm a Mac guy at home, PC at work. I use Microsoft Office at work and Microsoft Office for Mac at home. I am constantly emailing documents to myself from work, editing the document on the Mac at home, sending it back to work. It works flawlessly, at least ime.

Second - I think you'll be blown away by OS X in general, and Tiger specifically. The new "Spotlight" function is un-friggin-believable. Type a word in a Google-like box, and it finds anything on your hard drive that contains the word. I can't tell you how much time I waste at work searching for a document or an email. Just doesn't happen at home on the Mac. Also noteworthy is Dashboard. It seemed gimicky at first but has proven incredibly useful.

Jul 6, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 24
Hi Viator122,

Try one of these: USB PORTABLE FLASH DRIVE'S, also known as USB Memory Keys, they are the size of pens, and plug directly into USB, with no need for Batteries or Drivers, they range from 64MB to 2GB in storage size, and are very cheap.

They're great for swapping files from PC to Laptops, I think they have a 20 year lifespan.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Jul 6, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harty
They're great for swapping files from PC to Laptops, I think they have a 20 year lifespan.

Yea dude, these things are AMAZINGLY handy. I take mine to school with me and backup important documents and transfer files that would normally have to be put on a CD-R. Definitely get one of these things, they can be had for very cheap and is quite useful when going to school!
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
I'm heading off to law school in a month or so and I need to buy a laptop computer. Currently I have a Sony P4, 2.66ghz, 1GB RAM, 320 gigs of HD space and a 17" ViewSonic flat panel monitor - a pretty decent computer for what I use it for and I hope will last me through the 3 years of law school as a primary computer.

It should. Definitely hold on to it. If you get an Apple, you may still find a Windows machine handy in a law school environment.

Quote:

I hear very good things about the Apple laptops as far as reliability and quality. My school has student offers for computers with both Dell and Apple. They seem to be comparable value as far as cost vs. features goes. Plus, if I buy a Mac I get a free iPod Mini. However, I noticed that the HP laptops are pretty cheap; are they no good?

I really like Macs, especially the laptops. I've been using them as my primary computers since about 1986. My PC is used mostly for gaming and iTunes services.

If your school has deals on Apples too, I'm guessing they're pretty Mac friendly. Just make sure. Some law schools are nearly hostile towards Macs. I'd never turn down a free mini either.

If you go Windows, consider the Dells since you get a discount. I'd probably not bother with HP given the Dell discounts. IBM laptops are still nice premium laptops. I also like some Toshibas and Fujitsus.

Quote:

What I'd like to know is what issues and difficulties there are in operating a PC and a Mac. I'll be taking notes on the laptop and backing them up to my PC. Will I be able to do this with a USB drive? Can I network the two together?

As long as all the apps you'd want to use at school exist for the Mac, you shhould be fine. For example, Office for Mac includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Entourage. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files are cross platform compatible. PDFs are cross platform too. Actually the Mac OS lets you create PDF files natively as a printing option, which helps a lot when sharing files. You can also read most Windows formatted discs if you need to access documents. So if you had a FAT32 or NTFS CD, or USB/FireWire drive, you'd be able to access it.

I'd highly recommend an app that I use on my PC too. It's call MacDrive 6. You install it on your Windows machine and it lets you read and write to the native Mac filesystem (HFS+) effortlessly. It works really well. I use it since I have an external drive in HFS+ that I back up my Mac and PC with. Also, you can boot up Apple laptops into Target Disk mode which makes it act like an external drive. So you just hook it up to another Mac or a PC with MacDrive with a FireWire cable and it mounts like a disk. Really cool for transferring files easily.

As for networking, yes you can network Macs and PCs pretty easily. You can also share printers too.

Quote:

Any other bits of wisdom or advice for a potential first time Apple buyer would be appreciated.

Again, just make sure Apples are a realistic option in your law program. And make sure there are Mac versions of the apps you'd need to use, or that there a good viable alternatives. If you find out you'd need to use VirtualPC for most of your work, then there's little point in getting the Mac.

WiFi is standard on all Mac laptops now. I recommend 512MB as a bare minimum for Mac OS X (for Windows XP too). Look into MacDrive 6 for your PC too. I think it's indispensable.

Also check to make sure if you're using existing scanners and printers, that there are drivers for the Mac. The drivers may already be built in. Be aware that Macs do not have built in parallel ports. And I don't think adapters are cost effective.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301175

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/scanners.html

Digital cameras really should just work.

Quote:

EDIT: Oh, and the AppleCare plan - is that a no-questions-asked repair/replacement plan? Does it cover accidental damage?

I'd say if you buy a laptop from anyone, consider service plans. Laptops are just gonna see more wear and tear, shock, etc than desktops. They're also much, much harder to self service. AppleCare is not a no questins asked policy. It simply extends the warranty and tech support. Dell does offer additional protection. Also, some companies offer laptop insurance if you're concerned about that. No idea if it's worth it.

Jul 6, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Right, but can you go from Mac>USB key>PC ?

Check out this site on USB Flash Drives, this is just a snippet below.

Q. Will my USB Flash Drive work with any computer?

A. USB flash drives are using the USB protocol to interoperate with PCs (Macs too!) and devices with a USB port. Typically USB Flash Drives use mass storage class drivers that are incorporated in Windows Me, Windows 2000 and Windows XP or later as well as Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X or later as well as Linux 2.4.6 or later. Some manufacturers offer drivers for Windows 98 SE or Windows NT. Apple offers a mass storage class driver update for Mac OS 8.6. For more information, please consult with the manufacturer of the USB Flash Drive.

http://www.usbflashdrive.org/

Best wishes,

Paul.

Jul 6, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 24
I'm a huge ex-PC user/Mac fan, but be prepared for lots of Legally Blonde jokes.

Also networking a Mac and PC is easier than networking two PCs. Sharing files is no problem, but as others have mentioned, just be prepared by verifying there is no speicalized software you need to run. WordPerfect for instance still has a stronghold in the legal world and there's been no Mac version for some time.

Jul 6, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Right, but can you go from Mac>USB key>PC ?

Yep, my USB key works flawlessly with my PowerBook and any random PC I plug it into at the library. The only thing you have to watch out for is that when you delete something from your USB drive when it's plugged into a Mac, it's not actually gone, it's just moved into a ".trashes" folder that's a lot like your recycle bin. Just go to "Finder > Empty Trash" while it's plugged in and it'll be gone.

Jul 6, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #10 of 24
You'll find that you need to do a lot of outlining for law school. One of the pluses of the Mac platform is that there is a wider variety of good outlining software available for OS X, such as OmniOutliner, Circus Ponies Notebook, Aquaminds Notetaker, etc. For Windows, the only real application at this level is CaseSoft NoteMap, though the long-discontinued Ecco Pro is also worth considering. (There are other minor alternatives like StoreLaw Outliner but they're not at the same level.)

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #11 of 24
Thanks for the information everyone. It looks like there won't be any obstacles to purchasing an Apple. Also, thanks for the heads-up on the outlining software, Wodgy.

Next question: the PowerBooks are much more expensive than the iBook. Example:
12" PowerBook
1.5 ghz
512MB RAM
ComboDrive
60 gig HD
$1499

12" iBook
1.2 ghz
512MB RAM
ComboDrive
60 gig HD
$1149

So what exactly, other than a bit more processing power and an aluminum enclosure, does the extra $350 get me? Actually the difference would be more because the AppleCare for the PowerBook costs more than for the iBook. Is the PowerBook significantly smaller or lighter? Am I missing something or is the iBook just a really great value?

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #12 of 24
Jul 7, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

So what exactly, other than a bit more processing power and an aluminum enclosure, does the extra $350 get me? Actually the difference would be more because the AppleCare for the PowerBook costs more than for the iBook. Is the PowerBook significantly smaller or lighter? Am I missing something or is the iBook just a really great value?

AppleCare pricing for the 12" PowerBook sucks IMHO unless you can get it discounted. Actually, it looks like you weren't quoting discounted prices. Apple's education pricing is lower:

12" PowerBook
1.5 ghz
512MB RAM
ComboDrive
60 gig HD
$1399

12" iBook
1.2 ghz
512MB RAM
ComboDrive
60 gig HD
$1083

So a $316 difference. PowerBook AppleCare for students is $239; for iBooks $183. Only a $56 difference at that point. So total a $372 difference.

Go to the Apple Store online and click the education link on the right.

As for value, yeah the iBooks do pretty well. The reason to go with a 12" PowerBook is if you'd use the unique features. The PowerBook adds:

300MHz more. This won't really affect you in day to day stuff. If you're into gaming, video, or graphics, you may care. But you're going to law school! you won't have time!
tongue.gif

Faster system bus. As above, you won't really feel it seat of the pants, but couple with the faster CPU things will feel a little snappier.

DVI out.

64MB video card. Most noticeable benefit for gaming (see above) and for the following feature...

Extended desktop. Hook up a monitor and use it independently of the built in display. This can be "firmware hacked" on an iBook, but otherwise iBooks mirror displays. I find this to be a very useful feature.

Built in Bluetooth. You can have your iBook custom built with Bluetooth for an additional $50. Built in Bluetooth can be quite neat if you have existing Bluetooth devices, especially a cell phone. Otherwise you can probably live without it.

The PowerBook is negligably smaller and lighter.

The PowerBook is a neat anodized aluminum. It dents easily. The iBook's polycarbonite scratches easily. Both are like a new car. They're gorgeous, but the first ding will be a painful experience. After that, you get pragmatic.

If you'd use most or all the features above, it's worth the difference in price. Otherwise you're just wasting money. The 12" PowerBook is scarcely lighter, and the iBook actually has slightly better battery life. The 12" PowerBook made a lot more sense when iBooks were still G3s. Now it's a much tougher sell.

Good luck with your purchase and school!

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Otherwise, better screen, twice video memory, faster processor, Bluetooth, etc.

IMHO, the screens of the 12" PowerBooks and 12" iBook G4s I've seen are comparable quality. In other words, hardly stellar.

I'm a graphics pro though, so I can be harsh. When I'm not working on art or design, the screens are just fine.

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #15 of 24
I am also a graphics professional, so I don't use a Mac either. I work on rather large graphics files, so the current Macs are too slow for me. Heck, there isn't a single PC fast enough for my ideal performance with the programs I use the most. (Memory is another issue for PC's at least, I'm eagerly awaiting Photoshop to be made available for 64 bit Windows, the 2GB limit for RAM is killin me.) I am very comfortable with PC's so that is where my choice lies.

As far as stability, it is all in how well you know the machine you choose( or build), and how you take care of it. I have used Mac's at workplaces that were not well maintained and were horribly unstable. And I've seen the opposite at another workplace.

I find that I have no desire to mix platforms due to the fact that I do not want to buy the same software TWICE.

So keep that in mind when choosing your operating system platform.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back