Have I ruined my HE-500's? It is starting to seem likely.
Jan 2, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #17 of 19
I agree with everyone else a better dac/amp is a must for your he-500's. I also enjoy the he-500's and the best way I've used to burn in my gear is by simply listening to my music. Just my 2 cents hope you get things worked out,,

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #18 of 19
So just tried it again. They suddenly great. No idea what's going on.

Edit: Beginning to think I must have overtaxed the O2+ODAC during the burn in somehow.

Edit 2: Now they suddenly sound muffled and awful. I think it's the amp/dac at this point.

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #19 of 19
Okay so I finally figured it out.

Two things:

1: O2+ODAC seems to like 24bit/96khz best. It seems to sound best here.

2: I also learned that it is important never to go above 1 o'clock on the volume (potentiometer?) as that seems to introduce heavy distortion. I used to turn it up to 3 because the HE500 is very quiet on the O2+ODAC at low volumes (especially on some tracks).

Sounds almost perfect now. The wonderful tone I might have mentioned before is back. Only problem is that I threaded the headphone cables to death tightening and RE-TIGHTENING them to the headphones, trying to fix a non existent problem. So some instruments sound kinda rough/scratchy (plucking instruments, for instance). The headphone connectors themselves seem okay (sigh) so hopefully the new cables I just ordered will fix all lingering issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back