Have I ruined my HE-500's? It is starting to seem likely.
Jan 2, 2015 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

lumzi23

Head-Fier
So I connected my HE-500's to my O2+ODAC to burn them in (I had previously done intermittent direct to laptop burn in for over 60 hours). I left them for over 24 hours connected to the O2+ODAC at low volume checking the sound occasionally. At one point late into things I checked and they sounded rather amazing all of a sudden. Really brilliantly clear and distinct. I was mostly happy with the sound and was enjoying listening to the headphones. Unfortunately my laptop had to restart to install some updates. When I restarted the great sound was gone. I can't remember exactly what it sound like but it wasn't the same. I decided to leave the headphones going because I figured (maybe hoped) that this must be a part of the break in process. After all the manual said "150 hours of constant use." Thingss basically kept getting worse from there. The sound at a point became strangely rough/harsh which is not how I know the HE-500 is supposed to sound (they are known for their clean, grain-free sound which I partially temporarily experienced).

At first I hoped it was the dac/amp. In fact there is likely something wrong with that too. I contacted JDSlabs and they said it could potentially be the output stage opamps that they will send a free replacement which is fantastic and my only glimmer of hope.

However now I am beginning to worry about the phones too. I connected them directly to my lappy and they sounded strangely fuzzy/muffled. Not that ringing clarity I briefly enjoyed. Yes, i am aware that i should expect much from a laptop but I am worried. So have I ruined these $600, just recenlty replaced through warranty (another tale) headphones or am I overreacting? I am beginning to wonder if the HIFI game is not for me as I have already spent too much money on similarly briefly enjoyed but equally disasterous gear? Help.

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #8 of 19
  I have a desktop. I'll try connecting the headphones to that?

If it is a different computer than you were using, it is worth a try--but only by putting the amp into the chain as well.  The HE 500 absolutely require an amp--and a decently powered one to be properly driven and sound the way they should.  In fact I found the O2 to be marginal at best with them.  It's better with dynamic cans than it is with "medium difficult to drive" planars like the HE 500.

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #9 of 19

If it is a different computer than you were using, it is worth a try--but only by putting the amp into the chain as well.  The HE 500 absolutely require an amp--and a decently powered one to be properly driven and sound the way they should.  In fact I found the O2 to be marginal at best with them.  It's better with dynamic cans than it is with "medium difficult to drive" planars like the HE 500.

I have tried on both systems with the O2+ODAC. It sounds the same on both.

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 19

I have tried on both systems with the O2+ODAC. It sounds the same on both.

Then the problem is probably with the amp/DAC and/or the headphone.  You need additional equipment to proceed from this point.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 19
I suspect you simply don't like the HE-500s. In my opinion upgrading DAC and amp is to get a better sound, not to get a good sound, a good sound is what you start with.
You're not playing with a cheap laptop and a crappy soundcard do you? and underpowering usually means a veiled and muffled sound, not the harsh and rough sound you mention. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 19
  I suspect you simply don't like the HE-500s. In my opinion upgrading DAC and amp is to get a better sound, not to get a good sound, a good sound is what you start with.
You're not playing with a cheap laptop and a crappy soundcard do you? and underpowering usually means a veiled and muffled sound, not the harsh and rough sound you mention. 

Depends. Once you have the power requirements settled, then the headphone will sound like it should, and dac/amp changes beyond that point is just tweaking, However, before you reach the point of enough power to make it sound right, you can get all kinds of weird things from underpowering. Maybe you can turn the volume high, but itll sound piercing and thin and bassless and harsh. Maybe it's too quiet no matter what, but otherwise sounds alright.   

That said I am pretty sure the O2 delivers enough power to do the job for most headphones including the HE-500, so I'd say something is wrong with either the amp or the headphone.   

Or, topic creator is paranoid and is imagining everything? Beware, that's always a risk with this hobby. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 19

Except I did like it for a while. Anyway I have experienced everything from veiled and muffled to harsh and rough with these things. Anyway, I switched everything off for a while (most of the day) and just came back to it and it sounds better. I might be imagining it though.

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #15 of 19

Depends. Once you have the power requirements settled, then the headphone will sound like it should, and dac/amp changes beyond that point is just tweaking, However, before you reach the point of enough power to make it sound right, you can get all kinds of weird things from underpowering. Maybe you can turn the volume high, but itll sound piercing and thin and bassless and harsh. Maybe it's too quiet no matter what, but otherwise sounds alright.   

That said I am pretty sure the O2 delivers enough power to do the job for most headphones including the HE-500, so I'd say something is wrong with either the amp or the headphone.   

Or, topic creator is paranoid and is imagining everything? Beware, that's always a risk with this hobby. 

I am thinking so too. It must be either the headphone or the dac. I am being sent an opamp from JDSLabs. Does anyone know if that could solve the problem if it is on the amp side?

I am beginning to think it is the amp. Even my Sennheiser PC360 which used to sound beautiful to my ears now sounds off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back