Have I lost the plot?
Jun 9, 2008 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

akki007

100+ Head-Fier
I sold my iRiver H130, iRiver H320, iAudio X5, Kenwood HD30GB9 and after 7 years of avoiding an iPod, I'm about to buy a 32gb Touch. Am I crazy?

iRiver H130 - Superb player - Never used the optical out, screen was laggy, way too bulky...SOLD

iRiver H320 - Amazing sound quality, way too bulky...SOLD

iAudio X5 - Sound not as good as the iRivers, looked cool! Joystick drove me INSANE...SOLD

Kenwood HD30GB9 - Tough one, sounded so so sweet, loved it, would have liked to have kept it but needed the cash. Wasn't too fond of Kenwood Media App...SOLD

The one thing that all of the above had in common.... lack of accessories. Sounds stupid really but it has gotten to annoy me over the years. No cases, no fancy pants docking systems etc.

So now, I've bought an iPod, the one thing I swore I would never buy. Yes, it looks good, but will I be happy? Only time will tell!

Jun 9, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #2 of 11
There's been quite a number of "I can't believe I've bought an Ipod" and "iPods are surprisingly good!" threads recently. The rest of us 'mindless Apple fanboys/girls' have been quietly enjoying them for some time.
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 11
Cool, then I am now officially a mindless fanboy! ha ha ha. (I've been called worse)

Jun 9, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #4 of 11
I was avoiding ipods too, but I finally got a touch and I love it.

Jun 9, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 11
I'm glad I'm not alone then! Anyone else been converted to the dark side?

Jun 9, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 11
the light side i think. i found since getting an ipod after 5 years of hating it, that i am enjoying music as much or more. i was anti anything portable unless it was md until then i got himd and then meizu, cowon iriver etc.

well, i have the 16gb touch (far more space than i need, wish i would have gone for 8gb) which i love other than the mass of money i spat out to buy it in october. after having it for about 4 months, i sold my cowon and my sony has not been in use either since then.

what do i love?

accessories
gapless
easy to use software
wifi
sound - easily my favourite of all i have owned other than my nano (but the touch has a beefier bass)
battery life (up to 28 hours - on straight play through)
construction: very well made: metal surrounding all the very delicate parts esp the headphone jack. i was in the dark land with my cowon, sony and iriver from before.

upcoming sdk
good resell value

what i don't like: it is huge. i actually bought an ipod nano as well for those times when i am out with summer trousers rather than in winter when i have a coat pocket that it will fit in.

it hisses more than my d2, but much less than my sony and meizu and the iriver which was like a rush of a river. but i use an impedence adapter which reduces hiss almost to nothing whilst making my phones of 16-32 ohm perform very well with the headphone out.

Jun 10, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 11
Ah! My touch just arrived. Wow this thing is cool! I've put off buying an iPod for years and I think I did the right thing waiting until the touch came out because it really is a marvel of modern gadgetry! I'm even going to use iTunes the touch is so cool! I have well and truly sold out and I DONT CARE!

I hate myself for loving it! I feel so dirty!
eek.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by akki007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah! My touch just arrived. Wow this thing is cool! I've put off buying an iPod for years and I think I did the right thing waiting until the touch came out because it really is a marvel of modern gadgetry! I'm even going to use iTunes the touch is so cool! I have well and truly sold out and I DONT CARE!

I hate myself for loving it! I feel so dirty!
eek.gif

It's a wonderful device, though I don't use mine for music. The versatility of it, combined with the AMAZING Jailbreak community and what I consider to be the best video player on a DAP combine to make the touch a device that I'll be keeping for a long time to come.

akki007, I'm not sure if you were intending to, but you need to Jailbreak that baby. It's completely safe and reversible, and the wealth of programs available makes it silly not to do so. Head over here to see a tutorial video, and get to it!

Congrats on the purchase.
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 11
you shame me... another deserter of the i will not buy ipod clan. i must resist the shiny temptation. sooo shiny. NO i will not fall under its shiny shiny spell.

shiny

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #11 of 11
I joined the "dark/light/iPod" side around a week ago LOL It was just too good a deal to pass up ($180 for 8GB). The Touch is amazing, the apps from jailbreak are amazing, the Safari browser is amazing and the sound from line-out to my D2 Viper is pretty great
biggrin.gif

I never really hated the iPod, I just felt that there was always something better, but I never knew just how nice their interface was and how smooth and nice everything looked and the accessories
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh the plethora of accessories
biggrin.gif
I think I'm turning into a fanboy
frown.gif
All I don't really like is iTunes, takes up too many resources on my laptop, but I only use it to transfer files to my iTouch so it's fine
biggrin.gif

Apple certainly got something right on the iTouch, the Classic on the other hand, which I got for free was decent too, good if you want capacity, the interface was horrible IMO though especially compared to the Touch.

Although, my Clix2 and Cowon A2 do things "technically" better in terms of specs, my Touch has become my primary "media device".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back