Have I gone crazy? I think I like my Dragonfly over my Asgard 2 with Sennheiser HD650
Sep 4, 2015 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Svperstar

1000+ Head-Fier
So my Asgard 2 came in the mail today. I have been playing songs FLAC -> WASAPI, hitting pause, and swapping from the Asgard to the Dragonfly back. I swear the Dragonfly has a wider soundstage and I dunno it just sounds a bit cleaner. Taking the Asgard out of the signal chain is one less thing for the signal to go through and be degraded so there is that.

The Asgard certainly is louder, I have it on low gain so if I wanted to go deaf yeah I could, but I am not hearing much in the way of sonic improvement.

Sep 4, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 4
The DragonFly is both an amp and a DAC, while the Asgard 2 is only an amp. It's possible that the DAC in the DragonFly is significantly better than the DAC in your computer, which would explain the improvements in sound. Try connecting the DragonFly to the Asgard 2, using them both, and see how it sounds. (You'll need specific cables for this.)

Sep 4, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 4
  The DragonFly is both an amp and a DAC, while the Asgard 2 is only an amp. It's possible that the DAC in the DragonFly is significantly better than the DAC in your computer, which would explain the improvements in sound. Try connecting the DragonFly to the Asgard 2, using them both, and see how it sounds. (You'll need specific cables for this.)

I have been. Just as listed in my sig. I tried Dragonfly -> heaphones and also Dragonfly ->Asgard 2 -> headphones

Sep 4, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 4
  I have been. Just as listed in my sig. I tried Dragonfly -> heaphones and also Dragonfly ->Asgard 2 -> headphones

Oh, my bad. So you're saying you like the DragonFly by itself more than with the Asgard 2? (And, by extension, more than the Asgard 2 by itself as well.) Anyway, like I said, my first guess would be that it's due to the DAC in the DragonFly.

Similar story: I actually didn't hear a difference between my laptop and a Schiit stack (Magni 2 Uber + Modi 2) with many headphones, so now, I'm not even using a DAC until I can get the Schiit Yggdrasil. (As for amps, I'm using speaker amps exclusively now.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back