Have I done it? *few* any further objections?
Aug 27, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K81s are punchy like nothing else. I would use them more if it just wasn´t impossible to use them more then 20 minutes in a row... Extreme torture instruments... It´s like you have nails sticking in your ears after a while!

Between your feedback and d4r's, it looks like the OP chose the most fatiguing, least comfortable choice. I am prepared to live with fatigue if it coincides with a high degree of excitement and musicality, but not when its uncomfortable to boot.

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by O.D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how are they as far as being portable goes? They have always looked kind of tacky to me
confused_face.gif

Tacky? You, sir, must certainly not mean the HD 25-1 II. The K 81 DJ with its painted-plastic silver accents looks tacky. The K 518 DJ improves on the hideous looks, but the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II just looks professional. Isolation is superb, it is practically weatherproof and indestructible no matter where you throw it, and is actually pretty comfortable with the velour earpads (cannot be said of the K 81 DJ). Moreover, the HD 25-1 is more refined than the K 81 DJ in every dimension.. there's no getting around the fact that it's just a better headphone.

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #18 of 30
Look into the M-Audio Q40 maybe. Good sound, closed, plenty of bass and small enough(imo) to be portable. The cord is a bit of a pain, but it can always be replaced.

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by zackw419 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright so the best choise sounds like it would be the hd25's, they just look a little big to me.

They're much smaller than they look.

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goosemama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No love for ES7 ?? they are NOT as uncomfortable as people say - I am loving mine and I didnt bend anything. and they sound pretty decent with portables without amps.

For those with larger heads, they are every bit as uncomfortable as people say. Your assertion is similar to a teenager telling me that tight jeans arent uncomfortable.
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by zackw419 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright so the best choise sounds like it would be the hd25's, they just look a little big to me.

My second option is the 228's

any other reccomendations ?

Not sure what you pay for Senns in your neck of the woods, but this is the price difference here (100 Aussie dollars =~ 83 USD):

- HD25-1 II : $480
- HD228 : $115

I have read nothing to indicate that the HD25-1 is a ~ $500 headphone, even at the inflated prices Sennheiser and others charge in our market.

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure what you pay for Senns in your neck of the woods, but this is the price difference here (100 Aussie dollars =~ 83 USD):

- HD25-1 II : $480
- HD228 : $115

I have read nothing to indicate that the HD25-1 is a ~ $500 headphone, even at the inflated prices Sennheiser and others charge in our market.

This is what Americans pay for their (our?) HD 25-1 IIs: Newegg.com - SENNHEISER HD 25-1 II 3.5mm/ 6.3mm Connector Supra-aural Professional Monitoring Headphone

The HD 25-1 II is not worth anywhere near $480AU.

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #25 of 30
Interesting thread. I second everything positive that has been said above about the HD 228. Very accurate commentary on this well-worth the money headphone.

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what Americans pay for their (our?) HD 25-1 IIs: Newegg.com - SENNHEISER HD 25-1 II 3.5mm/ 6.3mm Connector Supra-aural Professional Monitoring Headphone

The HD 25-1 II is not worth anywhere near $480AU.

Yep - Newegg want $150 for a headphone that cost the equivalent of 400 USD locally. Even if you double the Newegg price to allow for economies of scale, transport costs etc, its still overpriced by 150 USD. Thankfully, the margins arent normally quite that outrageous, but its still painful.

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given that I have never even seen a pair of K81 DJs, thats going to be a[size=xx-large] ripsnorter[/size] of a comparison !
atsmile.gif

All I can say about the 228s has been said here before:

- very comfortable
- good, bassy cans with reasonable levels of detail in the mids and treble
- in *my* view, good value for money, but I would pay the extra for the MS-1 if I could only have a single pair of cans.

End of the day, we mostly get what we pay for.

I just like the word ripsnorter...keehee....don't drink and post!

Long live the Kennedy's...God Bless and Rest in Peace Ted Kennedy!

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #29 of 30
If you can get the HD25 at your budget point, it's probably a good buy. New models aside (I don't know how well they isolate), the K81 is probably your best bet otherwise. As for comfort, my K81 was pretty bad at first and I had to stretch it over some books, but the K518 has been a lot better out of the box for comfort, not to mention the shorter cable make it good for portable player use out and about. You can even fit HD25 velour pads on it, but they will reduce isolation and change sound to an extent, and personally they make my ears itch really quickly.

Oh, and only the hardened bass heads can stand the K81 stock. As for myself I EQ it, where others modify it with blue-tack in the cups and other things like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back