Have I done it? *few* any further objections?
Aug 27, 2009 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

zackw419

Head-Fier
Ultamate Goal:

Find, Highest Quality, Most Portable, Closed Headphone *with minimal leakage* (also with decent bass because I listen to mostly Rap) for under or equal to $150.

I think I have done it and I am more than open to any objections, guidance from experienced members is always welcome!

My Answer?

[size=medium]The AKG K-81 DJ.[/size]

Now..I've considered many many other phones, I am going to list a few and why they didn't meet my portable standards.

The ES7's were the most likely canidate I would have choosen. I've heard great things about them. My reason for not going for these was the size is just a little big for a portable for me. Also, I don't want to pay for headphones as expensive as these and have to bend them metal to have them look good *because they stick out alot before modded*. Not only that but I've read they hurt unless you bend the metal because they clamp so tight.

The Yuin G1A-G2A clip ons seem like the perfect headphone in EVERY ASPECT except for the leakage and lack of isolation. I like my music at high levels and since im going to be using these at school I can't have people hearing my music when i turn it up. Also, I ride the bus and I don't think they would cut it as far as isolation goes.

Sennheiser 228, I didn't go with right off the bat. 1st reason is lack of bass, second reason is I've read they are priced much higher than they are worth. But these phones are the perfect size for portability IMO.

I know some of you all may think I've completely missed out on other great options such as the SR-60's. I considered them, they aren't SUPER big and are all black which I like, but they are, correct me if I'm wrong, open headphones and very audible to others when the volume is raised.

So, now I'm here. Feeling pretty certain. But yet I am still hesitant. I would really like to hear from K-81 users as well as users of other 'portable' closed headphones, to see what you all have to say. I'm very open to other options, but keep in mind portability is very important to me.

Thanks for reading this much I'd like to hear what you guys have to say and if you think I've found my match.

I have never used the K-81's this is all based on what I've read on here and other sites.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #3 of 30
When I listened to the K-81 DJ, it did something horrible to Coltrane, making him sound a few key signatures off. And the sound in general sounded congested and boomy.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I listened to the K-81 DJ, it did something horrible to Coltrane, making him sound a few key signatures off. And the sound in general sounded congested and boomy.

good to know, any alternate reccomendations?

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by hvu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The M50 maybe a another option, I am currently using it as my portable headphone. The isolation on the M50 are pretty good and it folds up.

they dont look very portable. they look like full sized dj headphones. correct me if im wrong.

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 30
Is that $150 US? The HD 25-1 II will STOMP all over the K 81 DJ and diss its Austrian parents for just $10 more brand new from Newegg, or a couple dozen less used. It's not even funny how bad the K 81 DJ is mauled.. it's just plain bad in comparison.

IMHO the K 81 DJ was the least deserved and most ridiculous of the FOTMs. It only sounded half-decent with extensive dampening and necessary foam removal. Stock, they sound like a gorilla's butt.

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO the K 81 DJ was the least deserved and most ridiculous of the FOTMs. It only sounded half-decent with extensive dampening and necessary foam removal. Stock, they sound like a gorilla's butt.

And you know this from extensive DBT ?
jecklinsmile.gif

All I can say to the OP is this : if you have auditioned the HD228 and you honestly thought they were light on bass, I really dont know why you didnt go straight to the Ultrasone range instead of messing around with the K81 DJ. If you auditioned the HFI-550 and still werent getting enough bass impact from a decent source (they sound plenty bassy from my Cowon, for example), you may need to do what this guy did:

Horn Subwoofer Takes Up Crazy Man's Entire Basement - Overkill - Gizmodo

long after the music stops, all you will be able to hear is DOOF-DOOF-DOOF ..

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jecklinsmile.gif

Hear, hear.. I know this from a stock pair sounding like a dark, bassy fart-cannon next to a thoughtfully-modded pair sounding around par for the course at their price several years ago. Of course, as for the gorilla, there was this time in Africa..
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that $150 US? The HD 25-1 II will STOMP all over the K 81 DJ and diss its Austrian parents for just $10 more brand new from Newegg, or a couple dozen less used. It's not even funny how bad the K 81 DJ is mauled.. it's just plain bad in comparison.

how are they as far as being portable goes? They have always looked kind of tacky to me
confused_face.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jecklinsmile.gif

All I can say to the OP is this : if you have auditioned the HD228 and you honestly thought they were light on bass, I really dont know why you didnt go straight to the Ultrasone range instead of messing around with the K81 DJ. If you auditioned the HFI-550 and still werent getting enough bass impact from a decent source (they sound plenty bassy from my Cowon, for example), you may need to do what this guy did:

Horn Subwoofer Takes Up Crazy Man's Entire Basement - Overkill - Gizmodo

long after the music stops, all you will be able to hear is DOOF-DOOF-DOOF ..

If you can, will you side-by-side compare the sound quality, comfort etc. of the 228's and the K81's. I love senny's I just didn't head good things about these phones in particular. Be detailed if possible.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #12 of 30
I dig my K81DJs. Always have. Maybe it's the Austrian thing, but pull the foam out and run them in hard for awhile, and they're fun portables.

End-all-be-all under $150 though? Likely not. Alas, no other recommendations from me, as I am pursuing another muse at the moment.

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by O.D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can, will you side-by-side compare the sound quality, comfort etc. of the 228's and the K81's. I love senny's I just didn't head good things about these phones in particular. Be detailed if possible.
smily_headphones1.gif

Given that I have never even seen a pair of K81 DJs, thats going to be a ripsnorter of a comparison !
atsmile.gif

All I can say about the 228s has been said here before:

- very comfortable
- good, bassy cans with reasonable levels of detail in the mids and treble
- in *my* view, good value for money, but I would pay the extra for the MS-1 if I could only have a single pair of cans.

End of the day, we mostly get what we pay for.

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by O.D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I have both the HD228 and the k81dj/k518dj. My 81 sound like the vocals are a step further away from the instruments. Recessed, if you will. On the 228, the vocals are more forward, easier to pick out amongst the instruments. Excellent with female voices like Sarah Mclachlan's. Both have strong and powerful bass that you can feel. but the 81's bass leans more on the boomy side which can get annoying after a while. The 228's on the other hand has this slam that doesn't overwhelm the music. It's more fun/enjoyable to listen to. I can listen to the 228 far longer than the 81 since the bass isn't overwhelming the rest of the music. The vice grip of death of the 81 also reduces listening time. I can barely last 30 minutes with them on. You can reduce the clamping pressure on the head by forcing the arms out and bending them to the desired form as described elsewhere on head-fi. But you lose the bass slam and impact considerably. They are great for running since they refuse to separate from your head unless you physically pry them off. The 228 requires precise positioning over the ear in order to achieve full bass response. Just slide it back a bit so that it slightly hangs over the back edge of the ear. You can remove the center foams in the pads to make already confortable phones even more so. I just find that it reduces the impact of the bass when removed. I keep it in since concerts just sound fantastic on it. Love the soundstage for a closed can; sounds open. The 81 has a smaller soundstage compared to it. Isolates way better than the 228.

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #15 of 30
K81s are punchy like nothing else. I would use them more if it just wasn´t impossible to use them more then 20 minutes in a row... Extreme torture instruments... It´s like you have nails sticking in your ears after a while!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back