Have I blown my MC Cartridge?
Oct 31, 2008 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nkoulban

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I think I may have damaged my new Audio Technica OC9 II cart or my phonostage... gulp. I forgot that my phonostage was on,
I pulled off the cart tags and aligned the cart, then I put the cart tags back on and now now sound. Actually, If I run the amp right up I can hear a faint sound. By having the phonostage on while I was doing this could I gave blown the coil in the cart or somehow damaged the phonostage? How likely is it that I may have blown the cart?

Any advice from experienced vinyl spinners would be most welcome.

ph34r.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkoulban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any advice from experienced vinyl spinners would be most welcome.

ph34r.gif

Double check your connections. I know it sounds obvious but I recently changed turntables and when I first mounted my Benz MC cart to my new SOTA turntable I was having problems with not getting any sound. The head shell wires that were installed were crap.

Long story short I ordered a new set of head shell wires and problem solved.

--Jerome

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 8
The cart is a MC and I have set my Phonostage to MC. I'll track down any potential wiring issues as well. How likely is it to blow a MC cart anyway?

Oct 31, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkoulban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cart is a MC and I have set my Phonostage to MC. I'll track down any potential wiring issues as well. How likely is it to blow a MC cart anyway?

Carts, even MCs, don't "blow" like fuses. You can easily snap off a cantilever or break off one of the baby-hair wires that connect the coils to the posts, but you can't fry it. As others have said, check that your tonearm connectors are nicely connected to the cart's posts. Also check for blown fuses in your phono stage if you shorted out the wires when you were connecting the cart with it turned on.

Oct 31, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the advice, at least I know I have not blown it. I had another close look and sure enough a bent cartridge tag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back