Have I been spending my money well?
Jan 18, 2005 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

boltaction

New Head-Fier
Hello headphone nuts. I am a 21 year old student with really good hearing, which is unusual as I ask people to repeat themselves all the time. Let me explain: I went to the ear doctor for lack of a better word and found my hearing is in the top one percetile; I just tend to ignore people!

Anyways, here are my questions.

I have about 6 thousand songs in various bitrates, mainly Mp3. Some FLAC, but almost all Mp3. Average bitrate is 192k LAME.

I bought a Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 30Gb for $200. I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD280Pro's for $99, and a pair of Shure E2C's for $99. I also bought a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum for $90 from a friend.

My question:
Have I been spending my money well? What would you have done?

Whats next? A cheap headphone amp? What is my next step?

Jan 18, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 13
That's not bad at all. I'd have made different choices on the headphones based on what I like, but you've made generally good choices.

My pick would be Ety 6i's, A500s, some mp3 player. I'd not have bought an audigy because they're not great for music, but for games they're very good. For music i'd add an AV-710 (forget the brand name) and a small 2nd hand amp.

Your next step depends on what you want. What do you need? Better music quality at home, or on the move? More music? Which of your current toys sounds the "worst" to you, or which would you most like to upgrade?

Jan 18, 2005 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 13
Hey, if you're happy with your purchases, that's all that matters. I would have gone with different headphones, as I don't care for canalphones or the HD280, but that's personal preference.

Next step I think would be a good, inexpensive amp and some headphones a bit higher up the spectrum. Maybe a dedicated soundcard for music if you feel so inclined.

Jan 18, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by boltaction
Hello headphone nuts. I am a 21 year old student with really good hearing, which is unusual as I ask people to repeat themselves all the time. Let me explain: I went to the ear doctor for lack of a better word and found my hearing is in the top one percetile; I just tend to ignore people!

What?

Jan 18, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 13
He's warning us that he's rude in person
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 13
I only spent $81 shipped for the HD280's, and $67 shipped for the e2c's, and a 20gig Zen Touch for $217 shipped. So we have similar purchases, although i have 20,000 mp3s of various bitrates at an average of 205kbps
wink.gif

The 280's are almost fully burned in (around 400 hours) and they respond wonderfully unamped to my Zen Touch, the e2c's aren't here yet, but I have the $40 Sharp MD33 to compare them to.

It's really preferance, if you haven't heard anything you like better for the price you're willing to pay, then you did the best you could.

With the 280's and e2c's your gonna get a lot of looks, and i like that most, i think
smily_headphones1.gif
The "What" factor!

Jan 18, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
He's warning us that he's rude in person
smily_headphones1.gif

Only when spoken to.

Enjoy your gear.
biggrin.gif

BW

Jan 18, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Hey,

actually I have the same problem, which is sometimes disturbing (for others
biggrin.gif
). My girlfriends HATES it, when I answer every and all of her questions with "What??" or "He??". She would even more want to kill me when I tell her that it's a problem of me "ignoring" her....
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Anyways, here are my questions.

I have about 6 thousand songs in various bitrates, mainly Mp3. Some FLAC, but almost all Mp3. Average bitrate is 192k LAME.

I bought a Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 30Gb for $200. I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD280Pro's for $99, and a pair of Shure E2C's for $99. I also bought a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum for $90 from a friend.

My question:
Have I been spending my money well? What would you have done?

Whats next? A cheap headphone amp? What is my next step?

It seems to me like you have made very good purchases, especially if you did not have advice or chances for auditions. I prefer open headphones over closed, but not when using a computer as a source.

I have also been told that my hearing is top of the line. Have you compared bitrates? If I were you I would rip begin ripping all my CD's into FLAC (or lossless of choice). Personally, I prefer listening to the original CD than a copy or rip of any sort; most likely because it makes me 100% confident in the quality. If you can not tell a difference in bitrates now, yet have good hearing, you will definitely notice it when you get better stuff.

I would go for a headphone amp. Besides improving the sound quality, it also opens up many new sources for you to use (cd/dvd players for instance)

Jan 18, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
i dont ignore my girlfriend. i just cant hear her when i have my music on
icon10.gif

YES, hence the 280's are on my head all the time, even if i dont want to listen to music, it's a good excuse.
280smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back