Have HD595 and thinking of ms2i
Jul 9, 2007 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

UtzY

100+ Head-Fier
Ok here's the point...i own a Sennhesier HD595..happy with the sound..sometimes the bass is driving me nuts... i know that hd595 don't excel in bass(quantity) but -->(i don't like the bass that covers the rest of the track)...i like tight bass not the bass-omph
basshead.gif
...what i like at this headphone is the warm midrange...vocals in special and the extension in the upper range (a small extension if you get the point
smily_headphones1.gif
) ...don't like the highs to pierce my ears
eggosmile.gif

The questions...what should i expect from ms2i in comparation with HD595??
What i will lose and miss from hd595 if i buy the ms2i? (i must say hd595 built quality really suks...one more reason to get rid of them)
And please share your aditional comments!
biggrin.gif

From one point (hd595) i can't imagine how ms2i will sound, or any other headphone...i need at least 2 points (ms2i or another phone) to draw a line and see witch side my ears are...
orphsmile.gif

PS: I know that for every point used to draw lines of the sound, and upgrade closer and closer to what my ears want, the wallet will be thiner and thiner
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 15
Well I have the 650 and the MS-2i. I have a love/hate relationship with both headphones. I like the space and LOVE the mids on the 650s but they are to soft on the upper end compared to my speakers.

I like the bass (tight and clean) on the MS-i. The mids are ok for me. Don't get me wrong they are good but don't do it for me like the 650s. At times they are to harsh/bright for me (agian compared to my speakers).

With all of that said I think you will like the bass and mids of the MS-2i but might find them harsh coming from the Senn family.

Jul 9, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 15
The MS-2i made me not like the 650s and the 650s made me not like the MS-2i. They point out the flaws in each other.

I would still tell you to buy a pair of MS-2is because they are good. Like I said I have a love/hate relationship.

Jul 9, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 15
the biggest difference is the weight
man, are my hd555 comfy and light

but go for the ms2i, i have yet to read that someone was not happy with his or her alessandro ms2i

Jul 10, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 15
I have the MS2i and the HD600. I feel that as far as sound quality goes, these two guys are pretty well equals. I pretty well use them in accordance with the type of music I'm listening to, but often they do overlap and I can just as soon listen to one OR the other depending on my mood.

The bass presentation of the two of them is somewhat different of course. The HD600 gives me the impression of the bass as coming from a distance, while the MS2i presents it as being closer. Neither gives me the feeling that the bass is trying to overpower the rest of the music. In that regard they both sound "right"!

EDIT: I should add that the bass of the HD600 is NOT somehow reduced in comparison to MS2i since it's sound is more from a distance. It's right at the level it should be for cans that make you think you're back a few rows rather than up near the stage with the MS2i.

....or ON the stage with the MS-1!

Jul 10, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by UtzY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok here's the point...i own a Sennhesier HD595..happy with the sound..sometimes the bass is driving me nuts... i know that hd595 don't excel in bass(quantity) but -->(i don't like the bass that covers the rest of the track)...i like tight bass not the bass-omph
basshead.gif
...what i like at this headphone is the warm midrange...vocals in special and the extension in the upper range (a small extension if you get the point
smily_headphones1.gif
) ...don't like the highs to pierce my ears
eggosmile.gif

Sounds like a pair of K340 will do you great. They need some serious amping power though but once properly powered, no other cans will even come close to the quality of its magic mids.

Jul 10, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #7 of 15
Thank you guys for the fast responses...but someone heard both? To tell me if i lose something when i switch to ms2i?Is in your opinion something that hd595 excel, over the ms2i besides soundstage?Something that i will miss?
I know that hd595 is a gradoish sennhesier...more upfront sound and from this point i don't know where to go...a hard headphone to begin with.But i think i leaning towards grado sound from what i read here...(funny ms2i is not really a pure grado) For those who heard both please compare them like:

Hd595 is less/more .... than ms2i
ms2i have/is .... than hd595

I think this is the only way to understand if ms2i is for me!
smily_headphones1.gif

Zorander thx for the point with the k340 it might be the next upgrade :p for now i think i'm not ready (wallet) for "serious amping"
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #8 of 15
MS2 is the other extreme to the gentle (and somewhat boring) HD595 - punchy, in the face and thrilling. Although having been "tamed" in comparison to Grados, it can be shrill with certain music. 50% of the folks listening to my MS2 loved it, 50% didn't. I personally tend to like it. But to regard the MS2 as kinda "everybody's darling" as many fanboys do at this site seems to be a bit exagerated IMO.

Jul 10, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But to regard the MS2 as kinda "everybody's darling" as many fanboys do at this site seems to be a bit exagerated IMO.

I'm certainly not one of them. The MS-2(i)s are great (and beautiful to behold) but sound-wise I don't find them technically superior to many other cans in the same price range.

Jul 10, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS2 is the other extreme to the gentle (and somewhat boring) HD595 - punchy, in the face and thrilling. Although having been "tamed" in comparison to Grados, it can be shrill with certain music. 50% of the folks listening to my MS2 loved it, 50% didn't. I personally tend to like it. But to regard the MS2 as kinda "everybody's darling" as many fanboys do at this site seems to be a bit exagerated IMO.

Actually; if you go way back to day one here at Head-Fi and read all you can find on the MS2/MS2i like I did during my own "Battle of the Twos", you almost come away with that conclusion! That if a person does a reasonable amount of research and feels as though MS2/MS2i may well be for them, and subsequently buys a set, then the "usual" result is that there is one more happy MS2i listener. Not always; of course, but far more often than not. Maybe 60-70% of the purchasers tend to keep them. Some move up; some move away, that's normal.

I can certainly understand there being 50% MS2i approval and 50% not. Half the folks liking bright-to middle phones and half liking dark-to-middle? Yeah; that makes perfectly good sense!

Jul 10, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm certainly not one of them. The MS-2(i)s are great (and beautiful to behold) but sound-wise I don't find them technically superior to many other cans in the same price range.

Absolutely agree! For example I paid quite a bit less for my HD600 than I did for my MS2i, and I listen about 50-50 to my Senns and the Alessandros. All depends on the listening mood at the moment.

With the MS2i ya pays part for the sound and part for the American labor, and part for the materials. Economical they ain't!

Jul 11, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #12 of 15
Oh boy...i just have to wait that person who heard both... and respond to my questions! MUST have patience
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
cuz i know that ms2i is a fun headphone..i know it is good for rock...i know it has a punchy sound i know it is "beautiful to behold" and i know is a tamed grado...but i don't understand
smily_headphones1.gif
cuz in all the reviews here the comparation is made between ms2i and another headphone...besides hd595...for the people who had not heard both...Just keep coming with impressions
smily_headphones1.gif
don't stop please
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 15
I used to have the 595 and currently own the MS2i and HD 580. Here's my impression of the two:

Bass - MS2i is slightly deeper, more pronounced and tighter. 595 bass could sound a little flabby and loose with some music.

Mids/highs - 595 is "bright" for Senns but not as "bright" as MS2i. Vocals and Guitars tend to stand out with the MS2i. This is what I like about Grados and Alessandros. Some say MS2i are too cold and analytical but I like it.

Soundstage - 595 slightly wider than MS2i, but 580 are noticeably wider than both.

I probably listen to my MS2i about 90% of the time and the 580 the rest. I just bought a pair of of RS-2s from this board, so the MS2i will probably be up for sale soon. My onlt real beef with the MS2i is the weight. You can't move around too much with them on. That's the main reason I'm upgrading to the RS-2.

Good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtzY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh boy...i just have to wait that person who heard both... and respond to my questions! MUST have patience
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
cuz i know that ms2i is a fun headphone..i know it is good for rock...i know it has a punchy sound i know it is "beautiful to behold" and i know is a tamed grado...but i don't understand
smily_headphones1.gif
cuz in all the reviews here the comparation is made between ms2i and another headphone...besides hd595...for the people who had not heard both...Just keep coming with impressions
smily_headphones1.gif
don't stop please
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #14 of 15
Hi noobie!

This is a bit off topic for this discussion, but it's something about the comfort problem with the weight. It takes a few months to really happen, but after a while the bowls actually start to settle in and get more comfortable and the weight of the cans with the more comfortable well broken-in pads actually begins to add to the stability.

....and learning to head bob side to side helps too!

Anyway; unless you have to sell some phones right away, you may have time to decide fully on SQ alone!

Jul 11, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by noobie72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to have the 595 and currently own the MS2i and HD 580. Here's my impression of the two:

Bass - MS2i is slightly deeper, more pronounced and tighter. 595 bass could sound a little flabby and loose with some music.

Vocals and Guitars tend to stand out with the MS2i. This is what I like about Grados and Alessandros.

This kind of bass can be used for hip-hop? Is the ms2i a better can for c RAP then hd595?If it is slightly deeper, more pronounced and tighter...this is what i understand.How about the extension of the bass? Those low and long (time) frequencies that appear in some tracks...those who make me dizzy, how ms2i is dealing with those?

But if you say that vocals are better and they stand out...i'm happy...
See sometimes with the 595 i have the feeling that all the music is made by one instrument..no separation...but on the other hand this thing i find it better for vocals it means more fluidity...

If the vocals and guitars tend to stand out..this mean that bass has his place and no more! no?

PS: Please tell me more about details vocals and separation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back