Have Grado SR-60i, want amp/DAC...
Jan 24, 2011 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sgogeta4

Head-Fier
So I just got a new pair of headphones (Grado SR-60i) and having read a few (older) threads, I'd like to ask for some final recommendations. I am looking for a sub-$200 and fairly portable amp/DAC for my new headphones. I'll be listening to music on my laptop/desktop (integrated audio) and Sansa Fuze (would my Fiio E5 amp work decently with my Grado?). It seems like the best/most popular under this criteria are the Leckerton Audio UHA-4, iBasso D4 Mamba, and maybe the Headroom Total BitHead. Which one would you pick (or feel free to suggest another) and why? Thanks :)

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 8
Posted in Wrong section

Anyways:
Grados do not, i repeat, DO NOT need amps. Unless you laptop cannot push enough. My grados sound great on my clip+ and the E5 is mostly for under pushed IEMs. You should of saved your money and bought better grados then waiting to get a amp. IMO

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Grados do not, i repeat, DO NOT need amps. Unless you laptop cannot push enough. My grados sound great on my clip+ and the E5 is mostly for under pushed IEMs. You should of saved your money and bought better grados then waiting to get a amp. IMO

They don't technically need amps, but they do scale up very well with more power in the equation. The E5/Fuze combo will work for the OP if he uses the E5's bass booster, but it can slightly muddy things on the higher end....rockboxing the Fuze will give him the EQ capability to compensate for that.

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Posted in Wrong section

Anyways:

Sorry, which section should this have gone - in the portable headphone amp section? While I know Grado's don't need amps, I wanted to get at least an external DAC (the amp part would just be a bonus) since my desktop uses integrated audio and it can get pretty noisy sometimes. I current have my E5 with IEMs (RE0), and just wanted to know if it would match well with any Grado. Since it's still new, I could just swap it (and pay the difference) for the SR-80i, but I wasn't sure how much difference it would have.

Quote:
They don't technically need amps, but they do scale up very well with more power in the equation. The E5/Fuze combo will work for the OP if he uses the E5's bass booster, but it can slightly muddy things on the higher end....rockboxing the Fuze will give him the EQ capability to compensate for that.

I just looked up rockboxing the Fuze, I didn't know this! Thanks a lot, going to read more and probably try it later on today.

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Quote:
Posted in Wrong section

Anyways:

Sorry, which section should this have gone - in the portable headphone amp section? While I know Grado's don't need amps, I wanted to get at least an external DAC (the amp part would just be a bonus) since my desktop uses integrated audio and it can get pretty noisy sometimes. I current have my E5 with IEMs (RE0), and just wanted to know if it would match well with any Grado. Since it's still new, I could just swap it (and pay the difference) for the SR-80i, but I wasn't sure how much difference it would have.

Quote:

I just looked up rockboxing the Fuze, I didn't know this! Thanks a lot, going to read more and probably try it later on today.

I wouldn't bother swapping the SR60i for the 80i....I'm really skeptical of there being much of a difference. If I ever upgrade from my SR60i, it won't be until I can afford an SR225i. JMHO, of course.
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 8
I'd say that amping the SR-60s (or SR-80s) would not be a worthwhile investment. They sound pretty darn good without an amp, and I don't think they improve significantly with any amp. Save your money.

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 8

If you want to cut out the computer noise, and not spend a lot of money, consider http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/sound-cards/audio-advantage-micro-ii.aspx
I had the same problem with my desktop, I was hearing the noise in the background.....this little gem cut out all of that.....all you need is a free USB port. It's a bargain!

Quote:
 While I know Grado's don't need amps, I wanted to get at least an external DAC (the amp part would just be a bonus) since my desktop uses integrated audio and it can get pretty noisy sometimes.

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
I'd say that amping the SR-60s (or SR-80s) would not be a worthwhile investment. They sound pretty darn good without an amp, and I don't think they improve significantly with any amp. Save your money.

I really hope you are basing this on actual experience, because I have both the SR60i and the SR80i, and both have improved instrument separation, clarity and bass impact when plugged into my D4. If the OP wants to save money on an amp, I'm all in favour of that, but not because of erroneous information he received on Head-fI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back