Have Gift Card, Need Advice How to Spend It!
Oct 19, 2007 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nylan8301

1000+ Head-Fier
I'll start off with the fact that I have owned a Creative Nomad Zen Jukebox Xtra 30 gig for about 4-5 years. I love the player, it has a replaceable battery and hard drive (if you know how to open it and re-install the firmware) and it sounds pretty good (not that I've a lot of experience with others).

However, I've recieved a $200 gift card to my work (which I will not say for fear of losing my job) and need your input, head-fiers, on which to new DAP to pick.

I've gotten down to two choices: the new sony 8 gigabyte A818 or the zune 80. I'm personally willing to spend the fifty more dollars for the zune 80 for the capacity and battery life. I'm not really interested in the zune 30 because of the smaller battery.

I will preface this with the fact that I do not want an Ipod (no hate for the ipod, I just don't want one). I also don't want a Sandisk player (I didn't care for the SQ). And...that's about it for my other options (my work doesn't have a lot of variety).

So, can you help me, head-fi?

Nylan

EDIT: One last thing. I can get the Sony tomorrow if I wished. I'll have to wait over a month to recieve the Zune (the store I work at is also horrible about getting new products on time).

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just fyi, the sony will probably get more battery life.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. But at least the info on the new zune indicates that it will have a longer playtime than the previous zune.

Oct 19, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 5
Nevermind, I bought the sony, which I love and has a lot punchier and stronger low frequencies. The highs and mids are about as good, so I'm not disappointed. I love the drag and drop and folder organization. Everything I wanted in a DAP and more.

Thanks to zip22 for posting, not that the battery life issue was the clincher.

I just got tired of waiting for a new DAP. I've been waiting for about 2-3 years too long.

Nylan

Oct 25, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nevermind, I bought the sony, which I love and has a lot punchier and stronger low frequencies. The highs and mids are about as good, so I'm not disappointed. I love the drag and drop and folder organization. Everything I wanted in a DAP and more.

Thanks to zip22 for posting, not that the battery life issue was the clincher.

I just got tired of waiting for a new DAP. I've been waiting for about 2-3 years too long.

Nylan

Hi, Nylan, I am in the same place you were in... I have the Creative Zen Xtra 30 and I was looking at the Sony 818 as a replacement. Are your comments above a comparison of the Sony and the Creative's output? As time has passed, is there anything you've missed that you had before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back