Have EX71s, can't afford ER-4Ps yet...
Jan 16, 2004 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Traveller

500+ Head-Fier
... so I was thinking of either the Etymotics ER-6 or Shure E2Cs as an intermediate step.

I know most of you would suggest waiting until I can afford the ER-4Ps but the EX71s are really a problem, particularly in the higher frequencies where cymbols, wind & high vocals sound metallic, etched & just plain artificial. I cringe every time I hear "Ss" (excessive sybillance(?)) & metallic "Ts" in vocals.

That's because my Grado SR60s are very clean (in relation to) @high frequencies and it's hard to go from the SR60s to the EX71s - but I need "earphones" for commuting, etc.

So, what do you think? Would either the ER-6 or E2C make for a reasonable upgrade from the EX71s in the interim? while I like low (but clean) bass just as much as the next guy, I'm more concerned about highs that don't make me cringe...!

Thx for your suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 3
I would agree with you that the ex71's sound pretty bad in comparison to most any other phone I've ever heard. I was sort of where you were and went with the er-6's and I'd have to say I really enjoy them.

They had a slight "S" problem prior to breakin, nothing like the 71s I assure you, but after breakin there are no gleaming problems whatsoever. Even the bass, which some complain about, is actually quite good. They go a lot deeper than I would have imagined, you just need to find the right seal. They seal better when they're in your ear deeper than you would expect them to go, especially after using the 71s. But once you find that spot and they break-in completely they sound quite amazing for what they are. They are exactly what I wanted for school... I can sit in the cafeteria and do my homework without having to listen to the noise from outside my head.

I actually prefer the sound of the er6s over the sony 7506's by a long shot. I ordered some Alessandro Music Series 1 (ms1), apparantly they're at NAMM this week so they won't ship until next week, but hopefully they do similar magic for home use as the er6's.

Just my thoughts...

Jan 16, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by dan1son
I was sort of where you were and went with the er-6's and I'd have to say I really enjoy them. ...

Thx for the feedback, dan1son! I don't suppose you had a chance to A/B test the Shures along side the ER-6s...? Just wishful thinking on my part :wink: Thx again for the input & enjoy your new 'phones when they arrive - I love my SR60s for @home too!

*Edit* Talk about this post of mine being yesterday's news. A few weeks in this place and your priorities change, lol
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back