Have DT 990 looking for something with more bass.
Apr 5, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #16 of 31
You might want to check out my thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/832970/decisions-decisions-ath-m50x-philips-fidelio-x2-sennheiser-hd8-dj-and-beyerdynamic-dt770/15#post_13383211

Also didn't you already made this exact same thread a month ago?

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #17 of 31
You might want to check out my thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/832970/decisions-decisions-ath-m50x-philips-fidelio-x2-sennheiser-hd8-dj-and-beyerdynamic-dt770/15#post_13383211

Also didn't you already made this exact same thread a month ago?

Yes, then my dt 990s broke, fixed them now and recently got a bit more money to spend on some new headphones so here I am.

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #19 of 31
These will be mainly for non competitive gaming. Things like fallout 4 and divinity original sin is what I'll be playing. I'm not into cs:go twitch shooters or anything that requires a huge soundstage bar anything else. I want explosions to rumble

I use the Superlux HD330 for Total War and more for immersion (ie you can spin the camera around more than you would on FPS) and depending on where you are when something happens (ie if you're far away from it, virtual surround or not it won't be loud), like when Napoleon fires cannons or when Shingen crashes into musketeers, it's like watching Colin Farrell at Gaugamela (seconds after he yells out "RIDE MACEDONIANS! RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE!!! INTO THE HOLE! DRIVE TO THE HOLE!!!")or Russell Crowe in Germany (seconds after "STAY WITH ME! STAY WITH ME!!!") on a home theater system.

And unless I'm playing with my brother, where I take command of the main body infantry (because I'm older and actually more likely to be Bonaparte or Scipio/Hannibal than Murat or Alexander/Mago), I tend to always have my camera on the general leading the cavalry charge (the AI is less likely to screw up a preset forward march of infantry than complex cavalry attacks on skirmishers, then trapping responding cavalry then either charge a flank or kill the commander, which isn't always in that order).

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #20 of 31

I use the Superlux HD330 for Total War and more for immersion (ie you can spin the camera around more than you would on FPS) and depending on where you are when something happens (ie if you're far away from it, virtual surround or not it won't be loud), like when Napoleon fires cannons or when Shingen crashes into musketeers, it's like watching Colin Farrell at Gaugamela (seconds after he yells out "RIDE MACEDONIANS! RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE!!! INTO THE HOLE! DRIVE TO THE HOLE!!!")or Russell Crowe in Germany (seconds after "STAY WITH ME! STAY WITH ME!!!") on a home theater system.

And unless I'm playing with my brother, where I take command of the main body infantry (because I'm older and actually more likely to be Bonaparte or Scipio/Hannibal than Murat or Alexander/Mago), I tend to always have my camera on the general leading the cavalry charge (the AI is less likely to screw up a preset forward march of infantry than complex cavalry attacks on skirmishers, then trapping responding cavalry then either charge a flank or kill the commander, which isn't always in that order).

Is that the 30 dollar model on ebay? (just making sure I am looking at the right one) that looks a bit like the dt 770s? (headband is similar and earcups are kinda similar)

I might pick them up in addition to another option. If the fidelio X2s go on sale for 200 usd, should I pick them up? I wish I could just try them all... Does amazon charge me return shipping if I don't like a product? I have Prime if that helps.

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #21 of 31

Is that the 30 dollar model on ebay? (just making sure I am looking at the right one) that looks a bit like the dt 770s? (headband is similar and earcups are kinda similar)

I might pick them up in addition to another option.

Yes. If you just want more bass for immersion and at least responds well to virtual surround DSP, that's about it. Response curve is like an SR60 but with a lot of bass on stock earpads. I use third party DT770 velours on them - reduces the bass but the opening for the earlobes is wider..

If the fidelio X2s go on sale for 200 usd, should I pick them up? I wish I could just try them all... 

Not a bad idea.

Does amazon charge me return shipping if I don't like a product? I have Prime if that helps.

No idea, I've only returned items with defects and those get free shipping (you have to print the label though).

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #22 of 31

Is that the 30 dollar model on eBay? (just making sure I am looking at the right one) that looks a bit like the dt 770s? (headband is similar and earcups are kinda similar)
I might pick them up in addition to another option. If the Fidelio X2s go on sale for 200 USD, should I pick them up? I wish I could just try them all... Does amazon charge me return shipping if I don't like a product? I have Prime if that helps.

I bought the Superlux HD660 (closed version  of the HD330).
Found the clamping on the head too tight and the coiled cable that comes with it too stiff.
Replaced the stock pads with used (well used) Beyerdynamic EDT770 V (Velour) made the headphones more comfortable.
I will admit they offered good audio quality, for their price.
I would try to talk you into getting the Kingston HyperX Cloud (Takstar Pro 80, Gemini HSR-1000) headphones.
Good audio quality and more comfortable then the HD660/HD330.

The Superlux HD330 do look like Beyerdynamic headphones, but i'm sure they share zero hardware.

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #24 of 31
So, if I push my budget to say 300 USD, what would that get me? (I am recently switching banks and the bank I am going to has a 100 dollar promotion for switching to them so basically free money, yay.)

Also do the X2s still have quality control issues?

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #26 of 31
So, if I push my budget to say 300 USD, what would that get me? (I am recently switching banks and the bank I am going to has a 100 dollar promotion for switching to them so basically free money, yay.)

Also do the X2s still have quality control issues?

I agree with ProtegeManiac... for what it sounds like you're looking for, the X2's are still the best bet under $300.

I bought mine on Amazon with Amazon.com being the seller, and they have removable pads like they are supposed to. I believe that if you get a pair with removable pads, you have the right ones.

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #27 of 31

I agree with ProtegeManiac... for what it sounds like you're looking for, the X2's are still the best bet under $300.

I bought mine on Amazon with Amazon.com being the seller, and they have removable pads like they are supposed to. I believe that if you get a pair with removable pads, you have the right ones.

How long is the warranty on the x2s? I can't find that info anywhere, checked amazon and phillips own site and just don't see it.

Also does phillips sell replacement parts like beyerdynamic? I needed a new driver for my dt 990s so I just asked and they sent me a part number to order it, brand new, only cost 45 bucks also.

I found the fidelio x2 thread here on the forums and man, there is a lot of complaining going on over there about inconsistencies in build quality, I get that people are quicker to complain but it seems quite excessive, its really making me nervous...

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #28 of 31

How long is the warranty on the x2s? I can't find that info anywhere, checked amazon and phillips own site and just don't see it.

Isn't one year some kind of unwritten industry standard? The differences are more in what the warranty covers and how the manufacturer tries to get cheap there.

Also does phillips sell replacement parts like beyerdynamic? I needed a new driver for my dt 990s so I just asked and they sent me a part number to order it, brand new, only cost 45 bucks also.

No, not even the earpads, which is why I don't buy Philips, but it hasn't deterred other people around here.

You can get around the earpads by just buying third party pads, and given the Brainwavz HM5 earpads, it doesn't have to be some cheap crap pads either. I even use these on my HD600.

Basically, as long as you don't break anything, you basically just need to get HM5 earpads. Removable cables on Philips headphones also don't use proprietary connectors (unlike Senhneiser) so you can get around that problem easily.

I found the fidelio x2 thread here on the forums and man, there is a lot of complaining going on over there about inconsistencies in build quality, I get that people are quicker to complain but it seems quite excessive, its really making me nervous...

Might as well just save up and buy something else that has better product support, like Audezee. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #29 of 31

Isn't one year some kind of unwritten industry standard? The differences are more in what the warranty covers and how the manufacturer tries to get cheap there.

No, not even the earpads, which is why I don't buy Philips, but it hasn't deterred other people around here.

You can get around the earpads by just buying third party pads, and given the Brainwavz HM5 earpads, it doesn't have to be some cheap crap pads either. I even use these on my HD600.

Basically, as long as you don't break anything, you basically just need to get HM5 earpads. Removable cables on Philips headphones also don't use proprietary connectors (unlike Senhneiser) so you can get around that problem easily.

Might as well just save up and buy something else that has better product support, like Audezee. 

Yeah I thought the warranty was great on my 990s until I read the fine print. They won't repair the headphones for any problems that are cable related, which it happened that was my exact issue...

Currently I have my 990s working so its not super urgent that I get a new pair right away so I have time to research different headphones.

So assuming the X2s aren't an option what would be your second choice considering I am looking for a headphone decent enough for gaming but mainly has deep sub bass and is durable.
I'll take closed or open.

I'll grab the superlux HD 681 EVO and tell you what I think but that might be in a week or two since I don't have prime, I might open a new thread by then...

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #30 of 31
So assuming the X2s aren't an option what would be your second choice considering I am looking for a headphone decent enough for gaming but mainly has deep sub bass and is durable.
I'll take closed or open.

Superlux HD660. And take note of my prior post about how to bend the headband to loosen the clamp. 

$50 on that just for gaming with deep sub bass and then save the rest of your money for something else. Like if the DT990 kicks the bucket and you need a replacement for more serious critical listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back