Have decided to go from IEM's to Headphones, please help.
Aug 6, 2008 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ryan41488

Head-Fier
Against many of the suggestions on here, I broke down a few weeks back, and ordered a pair of Skullcandy Ink'd buds. The sound was awesome, bass was great and not over powerful like I thought it would be. Treble booster EQ setting on my Ipod helped a lot with the distanced kind of sound they had. After that, I recieved a laptop a few weeks later, that came with Creative 630 earphones, much to say I loved those as well, and actually when the EQ setting (treble booster was off) they sounded more upfront than that SC's, but the SC's had more bump bump bump like bass. Recently to save my hearing, since both pairs don't provide enough passive isolation like I thought they would causing me to turn the volume up slightly when loud music was playing (even though the SC's are great and cancel out a lot of the engine noise while sitting in the back of a jet flying to FL). I'm looking into a pair of headphones..If someone knows of a pair, that sounds exactly like the Creative 630's, I'd like to know what they are, lol. So, here are the things I look for in a pair of headphones..

- great passive noise isolation
- awesome balanced sound with a great sound stage
- no bass boost (the freq response of the 630's was 20 -20. and the SPL was 105, which, after awhile did hurt my ears...so, I'd like something possibly a bit lower so I can listen to it more, but a 20 - 20 freq response is perfect..but it might have been 16 - 20..I just can't remember)
- around the ear, earcup design that provides a great fit that won't fall off if I walk around, or bend down, etc.

Anyway's, thank you to all who can help me. =]..P.S. I was looking into a pair of Senn HD's. Tell me what you think?

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #2 of 6
Check out the Full Size Headphones Forum. They've opened separate areas for in-ear and fullsize cans.

And I just have to ask, where are you using them? A NASCAR race? LOL!
biggrin.gif
But a regular pair of canalphones won't exactly provide the best isolation. Although both the Marshmallows and the SC provide decent isolation. My SC worked well when I am doing yard work, but don't isolate anywhere near as much as my regular triflange earplugs do.

Fullsize cans may be the way to go. Good luck with the search.

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 6
The best headphone isolation is only as good as a mediocre IEM isolation. No headphone can match the EP630 in terms of isolation. Are you sure you are getting a good seal with your EP630? If you are looking for more isolation I'll highly recommend you to get a UM1 instead.

If you are looking for a cheap closed back with good isolation and lots of bass, you can't go wrong with the K81/K518.

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan41488 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm gonna be using them when I'm on the road for car trips, or when I have to fly. And..Nick...ew..Nascar </3.

Ahhh, I get it!! Isolation is key on long trips, especially if someone else has s**tty tastes in music or is annoying.
icon10.gif
wink.gif

The SCs have worked for isolation for me, but if you want serious isolation consider something from Beyer. They always come up as a suggestion for "headphones for drumming". Check in the Fullsize Forum.

And NASCAR, I'm not a fan. Save the "ew"!! I'm nickdawg, not Bubba!
biggrin.gif

Just trying to think of something LOUD. Although I remember reading somewhere(maybe here) that someone saw a person in ibuds at a race!
confused.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 6
Isolation isn't worth much, if the SQ is poor and low-fidelity. Skullcandy is an example of this. I'd rather be locked in a padded cell with tone-death opera singers than have to endure SC's poor quality audio, no matter how good the isolation is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back