Have Creative Platinum X-FI should I go emu 0404 or amp?
Sep 26, 2007 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tr4106

New Head-Fier
Topic kind of says it all.

Currently I have a pair of HD 580s and a creative X-FI Platinum.. I have no amp at the moment.

After reading how much better the EMU is, could the PCI or USB version power the 580s or should I go ahead and figure out a amp to use with them (I have a small budget ~150).

Also how do the 580s do positional sound comapred to the "gaming" headsets as I want the sound mostly for fps's/

Sep 27, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #2 of 4
Save your money for an amp.

The emu 0404 pci is not going to be much of an upgrade in terms of sound quality. Although the external USB one might. Though the difference is relevant to how sensitive people are when it comes to slight differences. Some may think it's a leap in quality, and some may think it's not much of a difference. This of course when comparing it with an X-Fi card.

Since you already have your X-fi (I'm using the XtremeMusic), stick with it for now. You can always add an external DAC to your setup later.. The X-fi may not be the best of the best... but it's still a good card/DAC and sounds even better when plugged into an amp.

The 0404 is not taken very seriously as a headphone amp by the way, it's usually used as a DAC plugged into a seperate amp by most people.

The reason why I suggest you get an amp is because it will change the behavior of your HD580's quite dramatically (in a good way). Those headphones aren't really shinning until you plug them into an amp!!! Just run a search and read up about your cans and you'll see what I mean.

For now, when you look at the bigger picture you'll get more audio dynamics with what you currently have by adding an amp.

Hope this helps. I know what it's like to be on a budget.

Sep 27, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 4
if this is your budget, i will also buy an amp, but dunno how this X-fi sounds..., i have 0404 PCI and the improvement over SB audigy is quite significant
i have HD595 which are 50 Ohm only, and sometimes there is not enough power, so it wont be enough for HD580 i think. (i am also planning an amp)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back