Have Bose OE's. Should I upgrade to Sennheiser HD 380 Pro?
Apr 25, 2009 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Aaquib

100+ Head-Fier
Currently have the Bose On-Ear headphones which costed about $200 and was wondering if I should upgrade to the Sennheiser HD 380. It'd probably cost me an extra $100 but after everyone on these forums talk so badly about Bose, it leaves me wondering how good the music can truly sound.

So, should I do it?

Apr 25, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 13
I would upgrade personally.
Seems like a good decision and the quality will be better
clear.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 13
There is a lot of random Bose hate here, people will pretty much tell you that anything is worth upgrading to from Bose, even though it is definitely not the case. If you were to take the headphones you have, and stuff them into a different body and stamp them with a Sennheiser/ Audio Technica / Ultrasone / etc label, I am sure that a ton of people here would say that they are awesome.

If I were you, I would keep your current headphones and save up a few more bucks for something higher end than the 380. Maybe take a look at some of the ESW series (9 or 10) Audio Technicas.

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 13
I recently tested a pair of bose around ears and they weren't too bad. What I hear people complain about is the price vs. performance of bose. They tend to be a tad expensive and there might be better phones in the price range.

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 13
Bose hate would be a strong word. All companies have their own ideas for what would make for good sound. In general, Bose Audio equipment have a good reputation for sound tuning particularly with their larger speakers (not the accoustimas series - I don't think I spelled that right). Their headphones on the other hand is a give and take relationship. I went to one of their stores and then sat down with a friends who works there and performed a two hour A/B comparison with my old first batch Sennheiser HD280 Pro (mind you at that time it had more than 11000-hours on it). The Sound signature in the Triport was warm with a slight emphasis in both the upper and bottom range while the mid-range remain neutral. This is after going from source to my LDMKI portable amp using the Moon Audio Blue Dragon version-1 interconnect (Version-1 is 26-AWG silver conductor vs. Version-2 uses copper).

Turn up the volume however changes the signature toward the same effect as the boomy Sennheiser HD500 fusion (the 32-ohm version and not the 300-ohm therapy type). This is just an example. all in all, Bose does an excellent job in marketing their products. The sound doesn't quite suit my tastes even before I started getting the reference class level headphones.

Like CoCo said, save a little bit and upgrade to the Audio Technica ESW-series headphones. If you are use to on the ear types, then this series would be fine. The Sennheiser HD380 is a great headphone, however this type covers your ears. In comparison, I actually borrowed for about a month the ESW10 and the HD380 Professional just for A/B comparison. The sound is phenomenal with the ATH-ESW10 while the HD380 bested the former by isolating the listener from the environment better. Sound stage was well represented in the ESW10, while the dynamics was better in the Sennheiser HD380. Both have different qualities so best to audition both sets of headphones before plopping the dough on one. That is best thing that any listener can do.

Hope this helps. (it would seem I am the forum posting killer - each time I post something, I get the feeling the response is not mutual.)

Oh well

Have a great week everybody.

Apr 27, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #7 of 13
save up and get something better than the HD380. I generally give advice on headphones that i own, instead of playing chinese whispers. But I had to comment on this one.

The Bose On-Ear is pretty awful (anyone want to buy it off me), but don't just grab the next one like the HD380. I haven't heard the HD380, but just be patient and save up for the universally recommended headphones to start as a reference point and a first purchase.

Apr 27, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 13
The Audio Technica AD700's can be had for $80 shipped, and they are considerably better then the bose triports. Easy to drive, and sound great.

Apr 27, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #9 of 13
Why don't you try the HD380s and decide for yourself instead of basing it on the words of Head-Fiers you don't know?

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 13
I have both the HD280s and the HD380s. The jury is still out on which I prefer overall, but I am leaning toward the 280s. The 280s are among the best phones you can get under $100, while for $200, I think you can do better than the 380s.
Of course, either is much better than anything by Bose.

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #11 of 13
Check the FS forum for a used HD380.
Will cost you less then a new one
wink_face.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #12 of 13
I have definitely decided in favor of 280s over 380s. I stongly suggest trying those first, since they are half the price and to some ears (eg mine) they actually sound better.

(I have also heard Bose Triports, and the HD280s utterly destroy them!)

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #13 of 13
think it would be more of a sidegrade then an upgrade. i would also recommend looking at some of the other offerings in your price range. i know its not always possible, but you should try auditioning a selection before you buy. any shops in your area that have headphones to try or have a good return policy? nothing beats personal experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back