Have been using FLAC --> Foobar2000 for last 8~ years... time for a change?
Mar 30, 2016 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Callous

100+ Head-Fier
So I first indulged in this headphone world about 8~ years ago, and within a couple years, had a pretty good setup with FLAC running out of Foobar2000. Over the years this has progressed to my current setup, FLAC --> Foobar2000 --> Keces 151 DAC --> B22 --> HD800.

As I've moved to a new job and been at home less and less (way less!) I find myself not listening to my setup nearly as much as I used to (I'm lucky if I get 10 hours a month with the headphones!) A primary reason for this is that I've realized FLAC simply isn't scalable anymore. For the last 8 years, there's been something comforting about having "a collection" of music (i.e. a hard drive) with all of my music on it, but the fact of the matter is that as music gets released faster, I simply can't keep up with maintaining my FLAC "collection".

Thus, I'm looking to make a transition of sorts -- I initially hated the idea of running stuff through Spotify 320kbps or some other alternative, but this is looking more and more like a reality. 

I've also been out of the game (and off of these forums in particular!) for a few years, so looking to see if there are any common trends that people are going towards to mitigate this problem (I'm sure this must be a pretty common problem?) Any particular streaming services? Any particular devices people are using?

Thanks.

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 4
I use Spotify on the go, and FLAC at home with Foobar2000.

Mar 31, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 4
tidal is the answer -- streams at 16/44 and allows you to download music (at 16/44) to the tidal app for when you're travelling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back