Have ATH-M50, want something different
Jan 4, 2013 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

the_carl

New Head-Fier
I've had a pair of ATH-M50s for 2-3 years now, and am looking for something else in the sub-$200 price range. I broke the plug off of them, tried my hand at soldering, failed, and might flip them to get something else.  I will be using these headphones mainly for music & movies on my computer, and occasionally as monitors for guitar/bass stuff.

Things I don't like about the M50s:
-A little too much bass for my tastes
-I sometimes find them tiring to listen to for long periods of time, not sure if it's the bass or what
-They could be more comfortable, they're kind of tight and maybe not quite big enough for my ears

Something with velour pads, or at least the option of switching between pleather and velour would be cool. I don't really care about coiled vs straight cables.  Needs to be closed back, over-the-ear design.  

Based on the above, what headphones should I be looking at?  Will Sony V6/7506's be anywhere near as nice?  

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 4
Have you tried a pair of beyers? The 770s are closed, comfortable, and come with velours.

The only thing that kept me from getting them over the M50s as an entry level headphone was the portability really.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 4
I am really enjoying my Shure SRH840s.  I think it fits your requirements quite nicely.  If you want velour I read that the replacement velour pads for the 940 work fine.  Also look into the AKG 271 MKII i hear they are really great and they come with both velour and pleather pads and a detachable cable.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 4
i feel the SRH840 seems right for you too. the SRH940 has less bass than the SRh840 but has more organic mids and less grainy treble and is overall brighter too.(not that the srh840 treble is bad, its good too)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back