Have anyone fully deciphered the output of AV-710
Aug 30, 2006 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Xakepa

500+ Head-Fier
After busting my old card, I'm in great pain with the new one - DC offset is all over the place. So have anoyone been able to get all the output circuitry of the Wolfson?

What I found is that VOUT is fed into zero ohm resistor (bridge?) -> decoupling caps -> 100/47K voltage divider -> ferrite bead -> the plug. However, right after the caps there's a branch going to a 3-leg transistor-like SMT pieces (Q3 and Q4), which are fed to another 3-leg beast (Q5), and this one is hooked to 5V rail.

blink.gif

Any idea what these are all about?

Thanks

Aug 31, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 4
It could be a muting transistor (like seen in CD and DVD players) but I'm not sure. Perhaps someone with a bit more expertise can key in, but that's my guess.

~Tom

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
The best thing to do, if one wants to use the AV710 for analog output, is to just replace the output caps with the best quality ones you can get (preferably blackgate NX, if you don't mind relocating them to the back of the card), and being done with it.

Can't agree more. 3 days of soldering and desoldering of a dozen caps for marginal improvement...if any. Seems like the bass gets a tad lower (26-30), but could be a placebo.

"Put NX output caps and be done with it."

580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back