Have any of you guys read any books by Tim O'Brien?
Jan 25, 2005 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gregr507

100+ Head-Fier
Which book did you enjoy most? I have to do a huge project on him for english and I need to decide on some books to read. I'm trying to decide which ones. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Right now I'm thinking:
The Things They Carried
Going After Cacciato
If I Die In A Combat Zone

Does anyone else have any other opinions of books I should read instead of these? The total pages have to be at least 800 and those 3 add up to 818. THanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 10
I have read The Things They Carried and enjoyed it alot. It is definitely not the best book ever, but it shouldn't be too bad. If his other books are close to as good this project will probably be pretty fun.

And when I say "fun" I don't actually mean "A source of enjoyment, amusement, or pleasure."

Jan 26, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

If I Die In A Combat Zone

hey ! I know that song !

the next verse is "bag me up and send me home..............."

the preceeding verse is "pick up your weapon follow me.....I am the infantry.............."

Kinda tough to dance to but the beat is good (marching cadence) so i give it a six on the American Bandstand ratings scale
cool.gif

nope,never read the book...

Jan 26, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 10
I've also read The Things They Carried and thought it was pretty good. Didn't enjoy it at the time since it was enforced reading for some brand new stupid hippy class my college made me take. And of course my Prof. had BEEN in Vietnam so he had a whole lot to say on the content of the book. You'd think that would be good, but you'd be wrong. But a subsequent reading left me with the impression that it ain't too bad
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 9:28 AM Post #5 of 10
'nother one for "The Things They Carried". I've read it a few years back and really enjoyed it. Having watched the not very well known movie "A Soldier's Sweetheart" I wanted to read the story it was based on so I got the book. Can't say whether it's the best of the ones you mentioned but a good read nonetheless. It's also not all that long so it won't kill you if you read more than one
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 10
I've only read The Things They Carried. It's been a few years so I don't remember it as well, but I remember liking the book (not loving it, can't remember why though), it was sad but not overdramatic as some war stories tend to be.

Jan 30, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #10 of 10
I knew a guy in high school named Tim O'brien. He played football. Must have been a different guy...
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back