Haute Schiit! Bifrost is world's most affordable fully upgradable DAC
Jan 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #256 of 326
Curious problem. I usually use my Bifrost only with my PC, but I hooked up a cd player in addition last night. The PC is using optical, the CD using coaxial. When I have the CD connected with coaxial and the PC is connected, I get CD sound from both inputs when I press the selector switch on the front. Am I not supposed to be able to switch between sources?

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #257 of 326

Quote:
Curious problem. I usually use my Bifrost only with my PC, but I hooked up a cd player in addition last night. The PC is using optical, the CD using coaxial. When I have the CD connected with coaxial and the PC is connected, I get CD sound from both inputs when I press the selector switch on the front. Am I not supposed to be able to switch between sources?

Interesante!

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #258 of 326
Hm.. upon further tinkering I seem to have lost the optical port entirely. With only the optical port in use I get no sound from either setting on the front panel. If I connect my computer with coaxial I get sound from both settings on the front panel. Guess I'll message Jason in a bit. I have a feeling this is software related or whatever the device uses to switch inputs. I should NOT be getting sound from both settings from 1 input afaik.

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #259 of 326
Sending it for Jason to check out. Hopefully nothing serious. I'm guessing they merely crossed the streams!

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #260 of 326
Wow, listening with onboard sound card while the Bifrost is being checked out. This is pitiful performance. What we take for granted when we compare gear on this site...

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #261 of 326
Sorry if you already covered this, but did you try a different optical cable?  I had similar issue with my DAC-2 but luckily figured out before sending it in that my optical cable was bad.  It was a cheapy cable and apparently after some use the connector came loose from the cable.  At first I couldn't tell that the cable was bad but then the connector completely came off of the cable and I was like 
eek.gif
 .  The cable was probably bad for a while then just got decapitated. 

Quote:
Hm.. upon further tinkering I seem to have lost the optical port entirely. With only the optical port in use I get no sound from either setting on the front panel. If I connect my computer with coaxial I get sound from both settings on the front panel. Guess I'll message Jason in a bit. I have a feeling this is software related or whatever the device uses to switch inputs. I should NOT be getting sound from both settings from 1 input afaik.

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #262 of 326
I think it's a problem with the Bifrost. I shouldn't be getting coaxial input on both settings.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #263 of 326
Update. Optical port was mechanically broken. Probably always was. Schiit happens when it's the first batch. Got a new one on it's way.

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #264 of 326
New one is here and it's working perfectly. Thanks again, Jason.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #265 of 326
Wondering when the Bifrosts are going to start shipping again...hmm...?

Feb 8, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #268 of 326
I heard from Jason that they were supposed to start shipping again this week...fingers crossed...

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #270 of 326
The 6 moons review was directly Bifrost vs Burson DA-160. A bit flowery with the text, but it's there if you want to read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back