Hats, masks and lying down
Feb 9, 2022 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

piglet

100+ Head-Fier
I've recently discovered the joy of IEMs with the purchase of a pair of FiiO FH7s. I did have a pair of Apple AirPods Pro however while those are useful the quality of the FH7s is stunning in comparison. I'm driving my FH7s with my recently acquired iFi Audio xDSD Gryphon.

Now that I am using IEMs rather than headphones when I go on my missions around town on foot or by bus I'm noticing some very useful practical advantages. Here in Brighton & Hove City in the UK it is very chilly at this time of year and so a woollen hat is very nice to wear. With headphones you can't but with the IEMs it works really well, in fact you can pull it down over the IEMs which adds a little to the isolation.

I always had a problem with putting my mask on for the bus when using headphones. Obviously you have to take them off and then put the mask on then put them back on again. It doesn't seem like a lot but it does get old after a while if you use the bus a lot like me. Well with IEMs you just put the mask on over the IEMs, it is no problem. When taking it off you take just a little bit of care not to bring the IEMs off at the same time, but it is really simple.

When I'm at home I love lying on my futon in my living room. In the past I've used headphones for this but the problem is you can't turn your head very easily, you have to lie looking straight up at the ceiling and moving the head much at all shifts the headphones around. It is different depending on the headphones you are using, but it is never very satisfactory. With the FiiO FH7s it is a very workable thing. You still can't lie with your head completely on one side because that will press the IEM into the ear in a way that is unpleasant, but you get quite a lot of movement of the head available without problems and it seems to work out okay.

So, there are a few practical advantages of IEMs that I hadn't really thought about much before getting a really good pair.

FiiO FH7 - Boy are they good!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back