Hasselblad Lens on D700
Sep 13, 2008 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Tuarreg

100+ Head-Fier
I posted on Photo.net and got some interesting and somewhat confusing feedback. So I thought why not here, since I've gotten some good info in the past. Here goes:

Back in my film days, I was using the Hasselblad system and upon entering the digital age, I was relunctant to give up the MF format, especially because of the superb lens. I was using the Zeiss Sonar 180mm f4, Zeiss Planar 80mm f2.8 and the massive Zeiss Distagon 40mm f4. Anyway, I finally discovered quite by accident that there are adapters that will allow the Hasselblad lenses to be mounted on my D700. It's on the way, so I have yet to test the combos out, but according to research, it should work very well in terms of sheer IQ, although it works only in manual mode which is fine for me when doing studio work.

Has anyone tried this combo? I know it's impractical as far as buying from scratch, but seeing that the Hassy lens are sitting in my closet, this seems to be a nice way to "bring them back to life!" Thoughts?

Tuarreg

Sep 13, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 20
Those Zeiss lenses have amazing resolving power - I measured my old Planar CF 80mm f/2.8 (since upgraded to a Planar CF 100mm f/3.5) at 100lp/mm across the entire 6x6 frame. I suspect the end result will be less sharp in the center than a regular 50mm lens, but exhibit uniform sharpness all the way into the corners. I would be concerned that the much larger image circle would cause flare from internal reflections. Also, almost all the focal lengths you get will be telephoto equivalent.

Let us know how it turns out for you.

Sep 13, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuarreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back in my film days, I was using the Hasselblad system and upon entering the digital age, I was relunctant to give up the MF format, especially because of the superb lens. I was using the Zeiss Sonar 180mm f4, Zeiss Planar 80mm f2.8 and the massive Zeiss Distagon 40mm f4.

...the Hassy lens are sitting in my closet,...

I am trying to remember how much those lenses cost in the 80's. It was a whole heap of money. Has nobody come up with a MF digital back for the Hasselblad? I always dreamed of owning one of their cameras and lenses. I had the Rollei system instead.

Sep 13, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 20
Stanley... this back was made to mate with 500-503 series Hasselblads. 9k... ouch!

CFV II

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Has anyone tried this combo? I know it's impractical as far as buying from scratch, but seeing that the Hassy lens are sitting in my closet, this seems to be a nice way to "bring them back to life!" Thoughts?

Tuarreg

Not a very practical setup for anything other than studio work. Certainly workable, and since it only involves the purchase of the adapter why not. Are these T* or the earlier?

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 20
Phase One does make backs for the 500 series Hasselblads. If it works quite well on the D700, I don't see why you couldn't use it more often and give life to those precious pieces of glass. Although if the Hasselblad still works, I would buy a pro pack of C-41 and just shoot portraits of anyone willing enough to pose =) Medium format film won't die anytime soon.

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 20
"Not a very practical setup for anything other than studio work. Certainly workable, and since it only involves the purchase of the adapter why not. Are these T* or the earlier?"

Danamr, These are all T*... so what's the difference?

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #8 of 20
"Although if the Hasselblad still works, I would buy a pro pack of C-41 and just shoot portraits of anyone willing enough to pose =) Medium format film won't die anytime soon."

Viblin, my 503 and 500 both are working just fine. I have a polaroid back too... might be interesting to get a hold of some polaroid film and scan the negative from the Polaroid?

BTW, my adapter is in and I've started using it with the Planar 80mm f2.8. I want to post pictures, but the size limitations of 98 kb for jpegs seem so low. I'll need to upload and url it perhaps? Any suggestions?

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

"Not a very practical setup for anything other than studio work. Certainly workable, and since it only involves the purchase of the adapter why not. Are these T* or the earlier?"

Danamr, These are all T*... so what's the difference?

Better coating. Better performance.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #10 of 20
Sonnar 80/f2.8 w' adapter for Nikon D700

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #11 of 20
interesting stuff

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

BTW, my adapter is in and I've started using it with the Planar 80mm f2.8. I want to post pictures, but the size limitations of 98 kb for jpegs seem so low. I'll need to upload and url it perhaps? Any suggestions?

Flicker, Picassa?
Good luck with getting the film processed if you are not in a major city. Good luck getting any Polaroid.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #13 of 20
Typo on last post. It should have read: Planar 80/f2.8 w/adapter on Nikon D700, as is this shot as well. I will post some shots on Sonnar 180/f4 tomorrow.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by vibin247 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phase One does make backs for the 500 series Hasselblads. If it works quite well on the D700, I don't see why you couldn't use it more often and give life to those precious pieces of glass. Although if the Hasselblad still works, I would buy a pro pack of C-41 and just shoot portraits of anyone willing enough to pose =) Medium format film won't die anytime soon.

Phase One, and the Hasselblad backs start at $5k-$6k and the D700 has better image quality unless you are spending $25K-$30K.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #15 of 20
The same Planar 80/f2.8 shot w/Velvia on Hasselblad 503 a few years ago and scanned on a Scitex drum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back