Hasn't anyone gone from Ety to triple-driver??
Jan 31, 2007 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Trager

500+ Head-Fier
Seems awfully hard to find anyone who loved the Etymotic sound who went from the ER-4P (or ER-4S) up to Shure E500 or UE Triple.fi phones. What's up with that? Are the triple drivers really that opposite to the Ety sound signature?

Jan 31, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 19
I have both Etymotic ER4S and Shure E500. I like the Ety sound a lot, but the fit has to be perfect, and the cable has to be routed just so, so that it won't make a lot of mechanical noise.

The Shure 'phones are easier to use. Fit is better, they stay put better, and there's much less cable noise.

Comparing the sound, to me the Ety 'phones are accurate, subtle and very detailed. The Shures are very interesting, almost as if the music is being directly injected into my brain. They sound as if they're bigger than life, but there's really nothing more there than the music. They are easier to listen to for long periods than the Ety, perhaps because the broad hump in the low end allows the overall volume to be lower (in keeping with the ear's change in response at lower levels). I'm not sure about that. Just that... with the E500 it's almost like swimming in music.

Both of them benefit from good recordings. You'll hear faults that the mastering engineer missed. A well-recorded CD will be spectacular, with each instrument, even the individual cymbals, being differentiated.

Jan 31, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 19
I used to have the er4p's before some jerk stole em
mad.gif
, then went to the super.fi5pros, and now have the e500's. I find the e500s to be more musical, less analytical than the ety's, but much better in terms of the mids and bass. On the high's the ety's definitely take the cake as the e500's do have a bit of rolled-off/recession (though the detail is still there). The e500's are definitely easier to listen to for long period of time, and I find myself analyzing the recording less, and enjoying the music more. I'm anxious to see what the triple.fi's sound like (I have a pair on order with UE) because, though I definitely like the e500's I miss the treble of the ety's (or even the super.fi's which I found to be better with cymbols than the e500s).

I think that the e500's definitely constitute an upgrade from the er4 series, both in terms of all around sound and price, but if you are looking for the same level of analytical sound you get from the ety's you may be disappointed. I can't comment personally on the triple.fi's as I haven't heard them personally but (at least from the comments I've read thus far on headfi) most people who have think they have better highs than the e500's.

Jan 31, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 19
Hmmm... well, I think I'll take the leap and pick up a set of the Triple.fi phones, just for comparison. Stupid head-fi bug, always wondering if there's something better out there. I haven't been able to stand the Shure treble rolloff in the past, so I'm really hesitant to consider their 500$ headphones.

Jan 31, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went from Ety ER-4S -> Shure E4 -> UE Triple.fi 10 Pro.

Of course I still have all of them.

Those that aren't happy with the E500 not having enough treble extension should definitely check out the Triple.fi.

-Ed

shouldnt have followed this thread
plainface.gif

now, i might end up snagging a pair of xxx when i see one..

Feb 1, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 19
You can throw me into the ring of people who were happy with their upgrade. I went from a UM1 to Ety ER-6i to E500. I loved the analytical character of the Etymotics, but I am happy to have my music rounded out. I think the first comparisons covered the difference pretty well . . . now I just have to wait for a Hornet to bring back the reach of their high's.

Feb 1, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 19
ER6i & ER4P --> E500 here. The E500 can't match the high end quality of the Ety phones but achieve a much more musical (if not technical) overall balance by filling in the low end. I don't find the E500 particularly 'rolled off' as some seem to, but in my most critical moods I do find the E500 high end to be slightly grainy and sibilant compared to the ER4. But against the 'have to look for it' Ety bass I find the E500 more enjoyable overall and they definitely get more use. The Etys do come out of the drawer once and a while though when what I'm listening too suits a very analytical presentation, such as certain classical works.

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 19
My road goes as follows...

E2c -> Ety ER4P -> Triple.Fi10

Impressions of the TF10 will be posted... as soon as Canadian Customs releases my headphones from their evil grip.
mad.gif

I felt that the E2c was too muddy, even with the Kramer mod, and I wanted to hear more detail, and more highs. Very annoyed by the Shure treble roll-off, I was, therefore I went over to the light side. Happy I am, young Padawan.

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 19
Pretty much the same story as everyone else....4P to the E5C to the E500. The 4P was nice although a bit lean for my taste. Very analytical as has been stated elsewhere in the thread. Being a Senn guy, the Shure house sound just works better for me. I also find the E500 to be far more comfortable to wear. Heck, despite that, I probably would have kept a pair for yardwork and such if the tubes hadn't been so fragile. Once they cracked on me, I was done with them. Lost all confidence at that point.

Feb 1, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 19
Wow. Go Amazon. My triple.fi phones arrived this morning. #52/1000.

I have to say that the bass on these things is impressive... full and deep, but not bloated. Highs are much better than the e4c that I tried, but definitely a touch recessed compared to my ER-4P phones. I'm curious to see how these will burn in.

Curiously, it feels like the Triple.fi phones sound better at higher volumes, but not nearly as good as the ER-4P when I keep the sound turned down on my iPod. As soon as I get the volume up to 30% or so, the highs sound great. At 20%, the mids and highs sound a little weak. Unfortunately, I usually listen to my music fairly quietly with my iPod. Again, though, I'm wondering if burn-in might change that... will post up a fuller review when I get through my audio test list.

Feb 1, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #13 of 19
as for musicality of trance and electronic, all else sounds too organic, too pronounced in movement. i want details, deep bass and slender highs, not boomy, not blossomed mids etc. the ety are for me (with a perfect fit) the best iem for trance and electronica. they have a more cd feel to them while the others are in the club with cigarettes and guys throwing up all over the place, fights and sweat.

yeah, that is it

Feb 1, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sorrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the e500's definitely constitute an upgrade from the er4 series, both in terms of all around sound and price, but if you are looking for the same level of analytical sound you get from the ety's you may be disappointed.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #15 of 19
So, after a couple of hours of listening, I'm a bit torn about the triple.fi phones. The bass is sweet -- deep and well defined. The mids seem to be evening out a bit. Unfortunately, the isolation on these phones kind of sucks. Maybe I'm spoiled by my ER-4P, or maybe my ear canals are just too small, but I can't get good isolation at all. Has anyone else had this problem with their triple.fi phones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back