Has your taste in music changed?
Oct 7, 2013 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

paintedr3d

New Head-Fier
For me kind of when I was younger I was in to more of the melodic death metal and just more snarling vocals but as I've gotten older blind guardian and hammerfall have become my very fav bands and I think back what the hell was I thinking. I mean I still listen to some of that stuff but for the most part I prefer different stuff. I'd post this in that metal thread but not sure anyone would get what I'm sayin. Problem is most bands I was in to at that time are past their prime and not very creative anymore

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #2 of 12
For me kind of when I was younger I was in to more of the melodic death metal and just more snarling vocals but as I've gotten older blind guardian and hammerfall have become my very fav bands and I think back what the hell was I thinking. I mean I still listen to some of that stuff but for the most part I prefer different stuff. I'd post this in that metal thread but not sure anyone would get what I'm sayin. Problem is most bands I was in to at that time are past their prime and not very creative anymore

just like ones taste in food changes and evolves over the years, so does his taste in music. imho atleast...

i went from classical rock to grunge, heavy metal, progressive metal, then death, doom, black metal, hopped over the fence to industrial, from there to dubstep, drum and bass, and these days i find myself listening to house... 

a little over simplified of course, but thats more or less how it went with my musical taste. im sure in a couple of years ill have gone over to listen to something else entirely...

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 12
Like for example when I was younger I was listening to the more snarling stuff and hated power metal and now I can't get enough and I'm super picky about that's screaming and growling. Like lately I've been in to motionless in white but that's been sprinkled in with hammerfall, blind guardian, stuff like that.

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 12
Cradle of filth is the closest to black meta I was every really in to and at the time they were "mcdonalds black metal" so I'm not sure they even count but I always like good guitars or good melody or a good beat and most black metal and even death metal didn't have any of that. Fight now I'm super in to this band called alpha tiger they sound like a heavy metal version of rush but his voice doesn't irritate you after 2 songs

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 12
Sure, I've mellowed out and become more acceptable to other genre, though there are some I avoid. Guess it's a generation thing.

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 12
I think more than changing, my taste have expanded and continues to expand. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 12
As far as tase is expanding I've been more in to bands that aren't straight forwards that do different things. Been listening to a lot of queen since I started changing in taste

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #8 of 12
My musical taste journey has varied greatly. When I was younger, around 13-15 years old, I was very much into gangsta rap and hip hop. 50 Cent, Tupac and Eminem were my favourites. And then i migrated into electronic music, mostly trance music. That went on for about a year or two. I also included some Kpop/comtemporary Rnb/dance  as well during my electronic days. Then near the end of my high school days, I began listening to Japanese pop rock acts and a bit later Visual kei rock/metal music. Nowadays is still listen to the Japanese stuff, but I've also included Western metal as well. They include Melodic Death Metal, Symphonic metal and some Black Metal. 

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 12
Since i was a child, i liked rock music and similar genres. I still like rock, but i have been very open exploring other genres such as classical orchestra or melodic metal. 

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 12
Slightly different question - do you like music less as you get older?

I spend my working and playing life listening to music so I'm not the best judge. But when I went travelling around europe many years ago with a friend (this is important only because it removes the option of headphones) I bought a ghetto blaster at the beginning of the trip and lugged the thing round for 3 months. I'm not sure I'd do that now?

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #11 of 12
I find myself liking certain genres less. Melodic death metal was my fav arch enemy and old in flames being my favs for that but now and especially after an amp and better headphones if doesn't sound as good. Don't get me wrong the bands with the exception to in flames are still good but I can't relate to that music like I use to. I'm not as angry I guess well it's more of a controlled anger towards ****** bags but you get the point and I've also found myselfaitening to sports radio a lot these days love me some football and power metal. But I appreciate real singing as it's harder to do that growling. But since the age of 25 intend to gravitate towards bands that aren't straight up metal or normal sub genres for example I'm really in to heavenly and they aren't normal power metal and I'm thinking about getting in to dream theatre and if you don't know every album is a concept album and almost all songs from what I've seen are like 8 min long at least. And when I don't feel like rocking out I out on some dj tiesto but SLOWLY getting in to trance

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #12 of 12
I used to listen to extreme metal and hard music in general. Nowadays I there are only a few old albums I dig out for nostalgia. I think at some point it all started to sound the same. Too formulaic, just variations on the same methods.

Nowadays I listen to a lot of music, though indie singer-songwriters are starting to dominate. I've had Lykke Li on my portable devices since Youth Novels was released, for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back