Has your gear changed your musical interests?
Jul 9, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #16 of 43
The big change was CD, which was when I got massively into acoustic music. Since I've had a good headphone rig I've tended to focus more on live or played-as-live music, where there aren't generally such unsubtle panning effects.

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #19 of 43
Before I started listening to music through something better than junk computer speakers and $5 Sony earbuds, I listened to a lot of "top 40" junk.

Now I'm heavily into really niche genres, from post-metal to dark ambient to glitch/noise and avant-garde metal.

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #21 of 43
Yes, I find myself able to appreciate more songs from almost all of my CD's because some songs just dont seem to do well on cheap equipment. Its nice being able to listen to an entire album instead of skipping around because alot of music just aint makin it on cheap stuff. I think the ability IMO to reproduce the music well far out weighs the flaws that come to the surface because your using good equipment.

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #22 of 43
Indeed!
I listen to a much wider variety or genres/artist now, compared to pre Head-Fi. Jazz, classical, ..

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #23 of 43
I don't think the gear has changed my interests but I do ignore certain things I used to like because they're poorly recorded and I will sometimes borrow music from co-workers of top 40 artists just because some of them are really well recorded but I can't stand the music or the artist.

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #24 of 43
I'm really getting into female vocalists... non-metal, for once.
wink.gif
Quite a bit, though, I choose my gear based on what would help the music I like, not the other way around. Thus, Grados.
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #25 of 43
Not one bit, but then, my taste has always been pretty broad. I like to think I got the gear to enjoy music more, period.

Jul 12, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #26 of 43
My headphne systems have been more revealing than any speaker system I ever built, leading me to listen to a wider variety of musical styles than before. I am really digging jazz much, much more, and classical has become magical through headphones. Rock will always be my first love, though, but I still cannot develop any feeling toward country, rap, hip hop, pop and another hundred genres that I either do not understand or existed tweinty years ago. Lately, I have begun to appreciate bluegrass music. The picking of guitars, banjos and violins are absolutely fascinating.

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #28 of 43
I've developed an increased appreciation of classical music. Just being able to hear the individual instruments or sections and locate them in a sound stage is very satisfying.

With my HD580's, I'm listening to more female vocals like Tori Amos and Regina Spektor whereas before I was mainly an alternative rock guy.

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #29 of 43
My gear has changed my tastes in that it has broadened them exceptionally. I used to only like 2 bands, The Who and Dave Matthews Band. Now I like more genres than that, including jazz, death metal, reggae, alternative rock, indie rock, blues, and some pop. I really appreciate music much more now that I'm not just using stock iPod buds.

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #30 of 43
If anything it's deepened the love of the music I already listened to. Genres haven't really changed much for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back