Has USB3 become a bust?
Jun 9, 2016 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rgs9200m

Headphoneus Supremus
It seems that nobody has the stomach for non-standard USB connectors anymore and therefore USB3 is being rejected by consumers in audio and elsewhere. So is USB3 DOA?
(And if you pay up for a premium USB cable, this can be a serious deal-breaker. I don't see any audio component maker using it.)

Jun 9, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #2 of 2
I don't think USB 3 is a bust. There are peripherals using it where it can take advantage of the additional bandwidth, such a flash drives and external hard drives. It's just that most things that interface via USB does not need that much bandwidth and audio is one of these applications. It lives on through USB C (although it has to be said that form factor does not necessarily imply complying with USB 3, I don't see many host device manufacturers going the USB2 + USB C combo going forward). So once USB C gets more market penetration, and it will, your audio devices will go the same way along with USB 3.

New phones are already shipping with USB C, and the updated Macbook Pro supposedly will ship with 4 USB C ports. It's just a matter of time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back