Has this been done?
Mar 17, 2006 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

saab

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone ever built an all in one solution with a hard drive?

I mean, basically like a computer as source, but just the parts needed for audio. All it would need to have is a hard drive, a dac, an amp and some kind of control interface. Obviously, ou would need some way of getting the files from the hard drive to the dac, but this can't be that tough. I have seen home made mp3 players before.

Does anyone have any designs, or desire to design something like this? I think it could be fun. (Unfortunately, I do not have the training, knowledge or time to design this project.)

Just a thought.
John

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 14
http://hackaday.com/entry/1234000300073591/#comments

this just popped out, and I mean just
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
For the love of Pete, another project that I'd like to do
confused.gif
eek.gif
mad.gif
evil_smiley.gif
icon10.gif
?!?!?!

Lol, get to work, Nate, the National Meet is just around the corner!

Mar 17, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 14
Mar 18, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by siriuz
http://hackaday.com/entry/1234000300073591/#comments

this just popped out, and I mean just
biggrin.gif

OH MAN. I was thinking about modding a cheapo flash mp3 player into an altoids tin to do this, but now--this looks like an insane candidate for doing this. If I'm not mistaken, that I2C header means that you can plug in some sort of external DAC for a better DAC?

now, only if it could support FLAC/WAV or OGG =D I don't think there's any hardware chip solution for those formats, is there?

Mar 18, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by threepointone
If I'm not mistaken, that I2C header means that you can plug in some sort of external DAC for a better DAC?

Yes, yes, YES!! The final piece of the puzzle is now in place...

MP3elf ---> Zhalou V2 ---> diy M^3 ---> K701

Now if I could only find the time to build all this stuff, I could have my perfect budget rig for maybe ~$700 total.

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 14
Why not build the DAC as well
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
???

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Lol, get to work, Nate, the National Meet is just around the corner!

5 Hammond cases arrived this week, that good enough for you?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #10 of 14
Interesting.

I had just bought a Slimdevices SqueezeBox which lets me stream music from my computer to my main stereo via my wireless LAN. That is one very cool device and made with the audiophile in mind.

I need to look closely at the MP3elf a bit more. If this gizmo can be made to work with the SlimServer, then I might be tempted to build one (or more).

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
Interesting.

I had just bought a Slimdevices SqueezeBox which lets me stream music from my computer to my main stereo via my wireless LAN. That is one very cool device and made with the audiophile in mind.

I need to look closely at the MP3elf a bit more. If this gizmo can be made to work with the SlimServer, then I might be tempted to build one (or more).

The Apple Express does the same thing, albeit only with iTunes.

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
The Apple Express does the same thing, albeit only with iTunes.

Yep, there are lots of other similar products out there, but the differentiating factors that led me to the SqueezeBox are:
  1. Open source, community-backed software, with cross-platform support (Linux, BSD, Windows, Mac, Solaris and others), since it's all web-based and written in Perl (My server runs Linux).
  2. Works with many file formats including FLAC and Ogg Vorbis, my favored lossless and compressed file formats.
  3. SlimServer software can stream music to generic software players like Winamp, XMMS, and others in addition to SqueezeBox (Slimdevices also has "SoftSqueeze", a software emulation of the Squeezebox).
  4. Seamless integration with any music library (I have a 250GB USB 2.0 external drive already full of music originally ripped for my PhatNoise car audio system, and the SlimServer fit right in.
  5. Both coaxial and optical digital outputs for external DAC (I am currently sharing a Benchmark DAC1 between the SqueezeBox and my CD player)
  6. Lots of customizable features via the web interface.

Mar 18, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
Hmmm, I hadn't really thought of that... seems like the Zhalou is at least as good if not better than anything I could make for the same price. Unless you think otherwise - have any suggestions for potential contenders??

The only one that I've built is the Monica2 listed in my sig, but I have to tell you, it sounds as good if not better than the two $1000+ DVD players that I've compared it to.

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back