Has the Stax Sound Changed Over the Years?
Mar 28, 2010 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Ridleyguy

500+ Head-Fier
When I first auditioned my Stax SRx MkIIs many years ago I loved them instantly for their detail. Classical piano has been my preferred music, and they revealed all. Over the years though, apart from always having to connect them to my main system which wasn't always convenient, I found longer listening sessions really tired/hurt my ears with their bright sound signature and got rid of them.

Getting back into headphones fairly recently, I have gone the dynamic route, but am also following the planar headphones development closely as I had Magneplanar 3a speakers for years, which gave me the Stax detail, open air in the music like nothing else I have heard (when properly placed!), but w/o the pain!

Have things changed with Stax? Of course you may disagree with my opinion on the SRx MKIIs as well, as my experience may be an exception to the consensus view.

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 17
What's the "Stax sound?" I mean, I've heard almost all of the current lineup and a few vintage things besides, and I've yet to figure out what people mean by "Stax sound." Their headphones can sound so different from one another that any attempt to group them into a single sound signature seems pretty pointless.

If you want a more analytical sound the 4070 is the way to go. The 003 is a bit warmer, as is the 007 Mk1. The 404 has colder mids and a more diffuse soundstage, and the 007 Mk2 is somewhere in between the 404 and the 007 Mk1, and with more bass emphasis than any other Stax phone.

Now go and try to make sense of it all
eek.gif

I would suggest reading through the Stax thread in the high-end forum, you'll get a lot of impressions of various Stax phones. Still, if you want detail without fatigue, the 007 in either version is the way to go.

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 17
What "Stax sound"?
I have had numerous different Stax models and none of them have sounded the same. SR-X/MK3, SR-X/MK3 Pro, SR-Lambda Pro, SR-404, SR-007BL, 4070, ..

Fair enough I have never heard an SR-X/MK2, but considering it was quickly replaced by the MK3 I doubt it was all that.

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 17
Well, the Stax sound essentially fell off in '67-'68 when Otis died along with all but two members of the Bar-Kays, then Stax decided not to renew its agreement with Atlantic, which meant stax didn't control the most desirable portions of their back catalog. Atlantic also took Sam and Dave.

This was essentially the end of the Stax Sound. However, from the time that Booker T. and the MGs were formed at 926 McLemore Avenue in 1962, all the key elements of the stax sound were there. The big ones being Booker T. and the MGs consistent groove and the strange acoustic properties of 926 mclemore avenue, which was formerly a movie theatre and thus had a sloped floor. The pairing of the MGs, which had a very groove oriented, funky, but always in the pocket feel to everything they did and the way the shape of the room gave the rhythm section a very powerful sound is what most people mean by The Stax Sound. This was more or less intact and churning out hit after hit from 1962 until 1968. From 68 until about 71 Stax persevered, but mostly through a superhuman effort of Isaac Hayes. At that point the MGs were past their creative peak and all the labels biggest stars were gone.

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Are you talking about the same Stax as the rest of us?
popcorn.gif

Products of this company and the former one - Welcome to STAX Earspeaker

Just a small attempt at humor and a little bit of a protest that "The Stax Sound" should refer to The characteristic sound of Stax Records from 1962-1968.
o2smile.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #11 of 17
That was a great post
smily_headphones1.gif
I thought you were going to say something ridiculous by starting out with "Well, the Stax sound essentially fell off in '67-'68" but then started laughing when I saw Otis. Caught me off guard.
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a small attempt at humor and a little bit of a protest that "The Stax Sound" should refer to The characteristic sound of Stax Records from 1962-1968.
o2smile.gif

Aha! Then I understand the reference to names not known to me..

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #14 of 17
I think my question has been answered ...there is no "Stax Sound" per se, as they apparently all sound different now. Thanks, and sorry for the multiple threads as I wasn't getting any responses here initially .. too impatient!

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest reading through the Stax thread in the high-end forum, you'll get a lot of impressions of various Stax phones. Still, if you want detail without fatigue, the 007 in either version is the way to go.

I am only days away... :stoked:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back