Has the iPod Classic's sound chip changed?
Nov 23, 2010 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Punky

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So I just replaced my 2009 iPod Classic with another 2010 iPod Classic. The last one got some cider on it, and the click wheel wasn't working right, so I had a friend at the Apple stores switch it out for me.

Now this is probably my imagination but it feels like the 2010 iPod is tinnier, a little thinner, and doesn't sound quite as good as my 2009 iPod. They're both the Classic, and I don't think there's been any kind of generational change. I just got this thing yesterday so maybe it needs to warm up (or maybe I need to warm up to it) but it sounds DIFFERENT.

I may be going crazy, I don't know. I bought the 2009 iPod Classic because I heard that the sound quality really improved due to new Cirrus DAC chips. I'd be really sad if I swapped out my slightly malfunctioning iPod for a worse-sounding one. 

Does anyone know anything definitive on this? Or am I just nuts?

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
Hey guys,

So I just replaced my 2009 iPod Classic with another 2010 iPod Classic. The last one got some cider on it, and the click wheel wasn't working right, so I had a friend at the Apple stores switch it out for me.

Now this is probably my imagination but it feels like the 2010 iPod is tinnier, a little thinner, and doesn't sound quite as good as my 2009 iPod. They're both the Classic, and I don't think there's been any kind of generational change. I just got this thing yesterday so maybe it needs to warm up (or maybe I need to warm up to it) but it sounds DIFFERENT.

I may be going crazy, I don't know. I bought the 2009 iPod Classic because I heard that the sound quality really improved due to new Cirrus DAC chips. I'd be really sad if I swapped out my slightly malfunctioning iPod for a worse-sounding one. 

Does anyone know anything definitive on this? Or am I just nuts?

Maybe it isn't burned in yet?
rolleyes.gif

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 8
It's either your imagination or you got an old ipod classic I guess.

I think [wowthatsabigname] was being sarcastic, hence the 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
I thought only headphones needed to burned in, not source devices.

That's why I had the rolling eyes smiley there, because that's what I think too....I was joking there.
wink_face.gif
But there are some people here who think source devices, even solid-state ones, need to burn in too....but I don't believe that. I think in one of the Hifiman threads, someone said it "needs to warm up" before it sounds right...I got a chuckle from that.

Nov 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 8
I found the opposite to be the case, as the 2009 120gb classic sounds rough compared to my 2010 160gb classic. Even the bass boost setting is clear and powerful, but it's lacking on the 2009 model. And this is using the same HP's w/the iPods being side-by-side.

Strange, but it sounds like we're victims of Apple's wonky quality control, not a difference in the sound chips and such. Remember, there's another person who'll say the oppisite of my experience just around the corner - and another will refute that claim as well. I think it's Apple being careless w/the classic - we're low on the totem pole nowadays.

Nov 25, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:

Strange, but it sounds like we're victims of Apple's wonky quality control, not a difference in the sound chips and such. Remember, there's another person who'll say the oppisite of my experience just around the corner - and another will refute that claim as well. I think it's Apple being careless w/the classic - we're low on the totem pole nowadays.

And that, right there, should be a sticky.

Nov 26, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 8
Argh. How frustrating. I'm getting used to the sound now, and I'm trying not to think about the differences. I'm definitely the kind of person who imagines stuff like this. I think after a few weeks, it might pass. I don't have my old 2009 iPod anymore to A-B test it, so I'm really sort of out of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back