Has the cracked tubes problem on the ER-4P's been resolved?
Oct 10, 2005 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Superbaldguy

1000+ Head-Fier
I sold of my beloved 4P's due to the fact both transducer tubes had cracked, and it was an obvious design flaw in an otherwise excellent IEM. I am wondering if ER has "fixed' this issue as it has happened to many ER-4P owners as I sort of am interested in getting another set if the problem has been addressed.

Oct 10, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 7
I think it really depend on luck. i had my pair for almost two years now and have not yet seen a crack. I use it two/ three times a week and carried it in my bag everyday.

Oct 10, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 7
I've used mine everyday for more than a yr and they work just fine. I will be very upset if anything happened to them. *Crossing fingers*
etysmile.gif

Oct 10, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 7
I had the stems break several times, when using either the foamies (with the metal inserts) and the custom made earpieces. But since I began using them exclusively with the silicon tips, the problems has not resurfaced - and I think I'm going on 30 months now.

My theory is that the metal sleeve of the foamies were just too rough on the plastic stems, and the custom made earpieces also tended to stress them. The silicon tips, on the other hand, are much softer than the the plastic, and may actually serve to protect the stems. Or at least that's my current theory.

Oct 10, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 7
I am not at all convinced that anything has changed. I can get new ER-4P's from Audio Cubes for about $300 CDN, which isn't too bad; if I can get a few years use from them and be able to get the cracked tubes repaired under warranty (my last set went over that grace period), it would be OK.

The cracks developed from frequent use of the filter removal tool pushing on the walls of the tube, and, eventually, they gave way.

Oct 10, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 7
I use my ER4s quite often. I have never had a cracking problem. Just a puppy chewing problem. Twice!
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back