has seeing a band live ever ruined their music for you?
May 13, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #46 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
How about the stones at the super bowl? I think I almost lost my lunch...

It was painful to watch. Comical at best. Buddy Guy, who is probably older than the members of the Stones, has no problem sounding incredible at his ripe age.

May 13, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

*insert trendy emo band name here*
Cake, I saw them live, and they got all pissy cause someone was throwing stuff, and so they walked off the stage 15 minutes in. Hacked me right off...

man that's unfortunate, they are pretty solid live. hearing "going the distance" live was pretty awesome.

May 13, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja
If the Stones perished in a horrible tour-bus accident in 1971 the world would be a better place. I'm sorry to sound so macabre, but thank god Morrison, Joplin and Hendrix bought their farms when they did.

Ill give you Morrison and Joplin. But Hendrix? The world would be an absurdly better place with him still in it. Im pretty sure he'd be smart enough to stop burning his guitars when he's in his 60s.

May 13, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #49 of 58
You guys have me worried.
Johnny Winter is coming to town.
What's he sound like at 60+?

Saw Rod Stewart at Anaheim stadium.
He showed up an hour late, so drunk he could hardly stand.
He did two songs and said "****** it, you can see me anytime".
And walked off, never to return... =(

May 13, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by claymon
you have named 3 or 4 bands that are known for incredible live playing. you must be unlucky or very picky. especially zappa, sheesh.

Nope..not picky,these were very bad nights for these bands at the time.

May 14, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #51 of 58
Quite a few years ago I went to see REM and 10,000 Maniacs was the opening band. Seeing REM live made me appreciate them even more, but 10,000 Maniacs was just awful. They made it about 1/2 way through the first song before people starting booing and by the third they had to leave the stage because people starting throwing things at them--no doubt inappropriate behavior, but man they sucked.

May 14, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #52 of 58
Has anyone seen the eighties video of Billy Squier (Rock Me Tonight??) prancing around his pink pastel bedroom wearing his "flash dance" tank-top? That killed it for me.

May 14, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by guynamedjohn
Did you see them at cbgbs? I was at that show and thought they were ok. I remember they kinda harshed on the audience ("I thought this was supposed to be a New York audience, is that the best you can do?").

So, I found them to be a bit goofy, but it didn't ruin them for me. I never really got too into them beyond Gish, however.

actually, i saw them at the Excelsior Mill in Atlanta. i'd seen some fantastic shows there... Descendents, Nick Cave (touring for Tender Prey), Bad Religion, Meat Puppets...

but man, Smashing Pumpkins was possibly the single suckiest suck i've ever had the misfortune to be sucked by.

May 15, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

*insert trendy emo band name here*
Cake, I saw them live, and they got all pissy cause someone was throwing stuff, and so they walked off the stage 15 minutes in. Hacked me right off...

I saw them last september at a festival type show called Inland Invasion that a L.A. radio station puts on to remind the people that live 50 miles from their tower that they are stilll around. What a bunch of ****ing babies. They came on after Oasis, who admittedly went 10 minutes longer than expected, anyways cake came out and the singer went into a 15 minute tirade about how some bands dont have the proper respect for set times.
rolleyes.gif

May 15, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by corrosive_nf
I saw them last september at a festival type show called Inland Invasion that a L.A. radio station puts on to remind the people that live 50 miles from their tower that they are stilll around. What a bunch of ****ing babies. They came on after Oasis, who admittedly went 10 minutes longer than expected, anyways cake came out and the singer went into a 15 minute tirade about how some bands dont have the proper respect for set times.
rolleyes.gif

He obviously doesn't have much respect for the best ****in band in the world... (in their own words). Yeah, totally unimpressed with them, which is too bad because I really dig their tunes. Funny how some people think that because of a LITTLE success (especially in the case of cake) they should be treated like gods.
mad.gif

May 15, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #56 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja
If the Stones perished in a horrible tour-bus accident in 1971 the world would be a better place. I'm sorry to sound so macabre, but thank god Morrison, Joplin and Hendrix bought their farms when they did.

You really can't include Hendrix in that list. He was apparently starting to get a lot more interested in jazz-rock fusion around the time of his death. He was an individual performer and guitar virtuoso, that could have refined and re-defined his skills many times over in the past 36 years. Much more staying power and ulitmate creativity than any rock 'n roll act.

May 15, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #57 of 58
Audio Bulleys at Sensation White 2005, that was pathetic.
Their performance lasted 30 minutes, and after 10 it was clear that it was better to spend the other 20 getting something to eat.

I still like them a bit though, so not all is lost.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #58 of 58
Two bands that almost ruined their music for me are Opeth and Mushroomhead live, not because it sounded bad, because it sounded amazing. But because both bands were just so in sync with everyone in their respective small veneus.

Seeing either band with only about 300 others or smaller (I saw Mushroomhead with only 75 other people, they were taking requests halfway thourgh the show, was really amazing to hear) was probably one of the top experiences of my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back